Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Questions for head of Sendel Wheels?

Hi folks,

I had a good conversation on Friday with the head of Sendel Wheels - seems like he's very interested in the Airstream community.

I had filled out the web form on their site to help find a local dealer, which they turned around in about 5 minutes, and then after calling the dealer I provided some feedback in email to Sendel that the person who picked up the phone at the dealer they recommended had never heard of Sendel.

Much to my surprise Rick Papelian, who's title is "director of wheels" (pretty cool huh) called me about 15 minutes later, and we had a nice 30 minute chat about aluminum trailer wheels, the airstream community, the problems Airstream owners are having with Goodyear Marathon Blowouts, the economics of his industry and a lot more.

Rick seemed like a great guy - so I thought I would offer to pose your questions and comments to him and post his responses here. By the way, he said they have stopped manufacturing the T03 wheels with the black background (the ones we call Eddie Bauer here on the forum).

Any questions, comments or feedback for Rick?

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I bought Sendel T02's in January of 2011. The clear coat partially peeled off after the first year, but otherwise the wheels are holding up fine. If it bothered me more, I'd buy some wheel polish and clean them up. However, I'm the only one who seems to notice. Like everything else, I wish they were made in the USA; but I can't complain about the price.

Part of the hassle in making the switch to 16-inch wheels and tires is trying to find appropriate wheels (weight rating, offset, and bore/lug patterns). If Sendel or a Sendel distributor offered one or two 16-inch wheel models that met Airstream specs, and sold them with Michelin LTX M/S, 225/75x16, LT, LR-E tires already mounted and balanced, they would have customers ready to buy. Also, this size is becoming a common aftermarket replacement in the RV, boat and utility trailer industry, replacing the 225/75x15 ST tires, primarily due to the ST tire failures.

I think Airstream would do this, if it didn't open up the can of worms related to all of the Goodyear Marathon, 15-inch ST tires it has sold as OEM equipment, over the years.

Maybe Discount Tire or TireRack could do offer this wheel/tire combination online. Just imagine if you could Google "Airstream 16-inch wheels and LT tires" and these links popped up?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I'm disappointed to hear that the T03 machined black wheels are discontinued. They were on my list of upgrades to do in the next year...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
My wife and I did the change to the black background "Eddie Bauer" wheels. The black background looks great, I love them. After a near-miss with the Marathons, and several bad experiences with Charlisle tires on our SOB, I feel very comfortable with the 16" LT tires. I don't have any questions for Sendel though (except maybe; Why discontinue the T03's?).
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm also a little concerned with the EB wheels being discontinued. My 28 International has been ordered with the 16 EB wheels (to be built in April). I don't have a strong preference for whether the wheels have the black accents or are all silver. However, if they do put on the ones with black accents and they are no longer available I won't be happy if I have a damaged wheel in the next couple of years.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
To be super clear - it's not clear to me if Sendel is the OEM supplier of the Airstream wheels, or if Airstream is buying copycat wheels from some other manufacturer. I can only report he said that Sendel were now out of stock on the T03BM wheels - the part number for our Airstreams is T03-66655T - and he could not say whether he would do another production run. He said that he sold his last 500 of them in the last couple of weeks to a single buyer.

One of the things Rick was clearly passionate about was copycatting - he said one of their biggest challenges was other firms (I think the implication was Chinese) ripping off his designs, which makes it difficult for him to maintain margins.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Sad to hear how bad of problem the copycatting is with their wheels.

Hopefully Airstream is using the real deal and maybe was the buyer purchasing the last 500.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I second the notion that if Sendel would offer 16's with Michelins mounted with metal stems, they would get a lot of orders.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I emailed all of your comments to Rick at Sendel. I'll share his responses in a couple of posts.

On the T03 (Airstream Eddie Bauer) Design:

Bottom line COPIES of our Sendel T03 are being recalled by other vendors - and obviously were not tested to J1204 industry compliance standards for the trailer industry.

The problem is that the re-called wheels look and smell like ours. We have already begun to see warranty challenges. The re-called wheels will not have the Sendel manufactured stamp.

----------------------
This report serves as HiSpec Wheel and Tire, Inc’s notification to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a potential defect related to vehicle safety exists in certain 16” S5 style aluminum recreational and utility trailer wheels. HiSpec Wheel and Tire determined this defect exists in wheels supplied by HiSpec Wheel and Tire from March of 2010 thru January of 2012.

I. Manufacturer, Designated Agent, and Other Chain of Distribution Information Manufacturer’s corporate name: HiSpec Wheel and Tire, Inc. Equipment’s brand or trademark name owner(s) (where applicable): HWT Designated Agent (imported equipment):

HiSpec Wheel and Tire, Inc. 1655 East 12th Street Mishawaka, IN 46544

This notification concerns equipment that was supplied by HiSpec Wheel and Tire to:

Americana Tire and Wheel (ATW) 7095 Americana Parkway Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

and

Badger Trailer Components N174 W21030 Alcan Drive Jackson, WI 53037

Supplier of the 16” S5 Aluminum Trailer wheel:

Country of Origin: China
Manufacturer: MinShianIndustrialCompany

Factory: Shanghai Guoxing Metal Product Co. LTD No. 3888 Pei-Ching Road

Feng Xi Town, Qingpu Country, Shanghai, China 201705

Any Inquiries about this report should be directed to:

HiSpec Wheel and Tire, Inc.
1655 East 12th Street
Mishawaka, IN 46544
Attention: Ron Williams – General Manager Phone: (574) 807-8588

Fax: (574) 807-8596

Manufacturer’s assigned campaign number (where applicable): N/A II. Identification of the Recall Population and Its Size

Type of Equipment: 16“ S5 Style Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Part Number: ATW PN: 22658HWT or HWT PN: S567655

Size: 16 x 6.5J 6 Lug

Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Casting Dates 01/2010 to 07/2011

Description of the Wheel: Split Spoke 6H Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Total Number of Wheels:

Americana Tire and Wheel: Badger Tire and Wheel:

Total:

172 wheels 22 wheels 194 wheels

Type of Equipment: 16“ S5 Style Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Part Number: ATW PN: 22659HWT or HWT PN: S567865

Size: 16 x 6.5J 8 Lug

Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Casting Dates 03/2010 to 03/2011

Description of the Wheel: Split Spoke 8H Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Total Number of Wheels:

Total:

337 wheels 0 wheels 337 wheels

Type of Equipment: 16“ S5 Style Black Aluminum Trailer Wheel
Part Number: ATW PN: 22659HWTB or HWT PN: S567865B Size: 16 x 6.5J 8 Lug
Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Casting Dates 03/2010 to 03/2011 Description of the Wheel: Split Spoke 8H Black Aluminum Trailer Wheel Total Number of Wheels:

Americana Tire and Wheel: 68 wheels

Badger Tire and Wheel: 0 wheels Total: 68 wheels

Type of Equipment: 16“ S5 Style Silver Heavy Duty Aluminum Trailer Wheel Part Number: ATW PN: 22660HWT or HWT PN: S567865HD
Size: 16 x 6.5J 8 Lug
Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Casting Dates 03/2010 to 03/2011 Description of the Wheel: Split Spoke 8H Silver Aluminum Trailer Wheel Total Number of Wheels:

Total:

231wheels 12 wheels 243 wheels

Type of Equipment: Aluminum 16“ S5 Style Black Heavy Duty Aluminum Trailer Wheel

Part Number: ATW PN: 22660HWTB or HWT PN: S567865HDB Size: 16 x 6.5J 8 Lug
Inclusive Dates of Manufacture: Casting Dates 03/2010 to 03/2011 Description of the Wheel: Split Spoke 8H Black Aluminum Trailer Wheel Total Number of Wheels:

Total:

4 wheels 0 wheels 4 wheels

Grand total number of items of equipment in the recall population: 846 Wheels
The percentage of the recall population estimated to contain the defect or noncompliance: 50%

Identify and describe how the recall population was determined (e.g., on what basis the recalled models were selected and how the inclusive dates of manufacture were determined):

The 16” S5 style wheel was a new design for HiSpec and required new tools. The first production run of this wheel was in January of 2010 and since the volumes were relatively low, only one mold was developed for both the 6 lug and 8 lug variants. From the first casting run in January 2010 to the last casting run in July of 2011, only one mold has been used. As a result, any issues directly related to the mold would apply to all variants using that same mold. Even though there are no known issues related to the 6 lug variants, they are also suspect since they used the same mold as the 8 lug variants. The above quantities are based on the entire production of the 16” S5 wheel minus the wheels that have been returned to HiSpec. These quantities are assumed to be in the field and can be at the trailer manufacturer, on the dealer’s lots, or in the hands of end users.

Describe how the recall population is different from any similar items of equipment not subject to this notification:

Each different style and size of cast aluminum wheel is produced using a unique mold. As a result, any defects directly related to mold design (such as shrinkage porosity) will propagate throughout the entire population using that mold. The defect in the 16” S5 wheels has been found to be directly related to the mold so only wheels produced in this mold are suspect. No other HiSpec wheels uses these molds so they are unaffected by this issue.

III. Description of the Defect or Noncompliance and Chronology of Events

Describe the defect, including a summary and detailed description of the nature and physical location (if appropriate) of the defect or noncompliance. Graphic aids should be provided where necessary.

A crack can develop in the spoke of the wheel which can lead to additional cracks and potential failure over time if the wheel is not removed from service. Below is an example of one out of a total of 6 field returns. The cracks shown below are typical.

Cracked Spokes

Describe the cause(s) of the defect or noncompliance condition.

Fracture of the spokes is due to porosity that occurred in the manufacturing process. This porosity results in voids in the castings which reduces the load carrying capacity of the wheel. Since the spokes are the load path from the road to the trailer they experience higher stress levels than the other elements of the wheel and are more sensitive to porosity. Porosity in aluminum castings is always present, however in this case the porosity levels on the known defective wheels exceeded the allowable levels. It was this higher level of porosity in the spokes that resulted in the fractures. Below is an X-ray image of one of the wheels.
Spoke Porosity

Describe the consequence(s) of the defect or noncompliance condition.

If the wheel is not removed from service and the crack is allowed to propagate through all the spokes, the tire and wheel can separate from the trailer resulting in a potential safety hazard.

Identify any warning(s) that may precede the defect or noncompliance condition.

Wheels initially crack in one spoke and the crack will then propagate to the adjacent spokes. Early detection of cracks in one or more of the spokes can minimize the potential hazard.

For defects, provide a dated, chronological summary of all the principle events that were the basis for the determination that the defect is related to motor vehicle safety, including a summary of all warranty claims, field or service reports, and other information such as numbers of crashes, injuries and fatalities.

Date

9/29/2011 10/9/2011 12/14/2011

Event

First S567865 wheel returned to HiSpec from ATW-Elkhart.
Casting Date Code: 3/2010
Returned wheel sent to manufacturing location in China for evaluation
Report issued indicating no dimensional issues or problems with mechanical properties. Three S567865 wheels returned to HiSpec from ATW-Elkhart.
It was noted that these 3 returned wheels came from the same customer as the original wheel received on 9/29/2011.

12/15/2011 12/16/2011

1/6/2012 1/9/2012

1/17/2012 1/18/2012

1/23/2012 1/25/2012 1/25/2012

1/25/2012 1/31/2012

2/1/2012 2/2/2012

2/10/2012

End Use customer identified – triple axle car hauler with rubber torsion axles which is known to be a worst case application under certain conditions.
Wheels (2) from inventory with the same casting date code (3/2010) sent to outside laboratory for durability testing per SAE J1204 – 1 wheel for radial fatigue and 1 wheel for cornering fatigue testing.

Radial Fatigue Test Results – test sample with 3/2010 casting date code did not meet the test specification.
Cornering Fatigue Test Results – test sample with 3/2010 casting date code completes testing – meets test specification

Testing resumes on the same wheel to 2 x life
Test sample successfully completes testing to 2x life
Cornering fatigue testing on this sample ends.
ATW informed of durability concern on the 16” S5 8 lug variants.
HiSpec requests return of all unused 16” S5 8 lug inventory.
ATW – Georgia notifies HiSpec that two S5 16” 8 lug wheels have been returned with cracked spokes. Both wheels came from the same customer – no additional details regarding the customer available.
Cracked field return received on 12/14/2011 sent to outside lab for X-ray.
Results from field return indicated porosity in the spokes.
Field returns from ATW-Georgia arrive – 2 wheels
Unused inventory arrives from ATW-Georgia.
Field returns from ATW-Georgia and 48 samples taken from inventory sent for X-ray evaluation.
Results on 2 field returns from ATW-Georgia showed porosity coincident with the cracks in the spokes.

X-ray evaluation completed on the 48 inventory samples. Results indicate porosity in the spokes which is unusually consistent. The consistency of the porosity is indicative of mold cooling issues which would affect all wheels cast using that mold.
Based on these findings, the S5 16” 6 lug variant was added to the list of suspect wheels to be voluntarily recalled.
Request sent to ATW requesting return of un-used S5 16” inventory to HiSpec.
Last shipment of unused S5 16” inventory from ATW-Elkhart arrives at HiSpec.

Warranty Claims A total of 6 S567865 wheels have been returned to HiSpec.

Safety Incidents
HiSpec is unaware of any injuries or crashes associated with the use of this wheel.

IV. The Remedy Program and Its Schedule

Describe the program for remedying the defect or noncompliance, including the plan for reimbursing those owners and purchasers who may have incurred costs to remedy the defect or noncompliance before receiving the manufacturer’s notification concerning that defect or noncompliance. Also include, where applicable, details with dates concerning any production remedy that was conducted or will be conducted.

1. Hispec will issue a letter to ATW and Badger Trailer Components describing the defect, the potential hazard, the inspection process and the available replacement wheels.

2. ATW and Badger will notify their customers (mostly OEs) that purchased the wheels and request a list of VIN #s and customers (dealers) that purchased the wheels.

3. The dealers will then provide a list to HiSpec which includes the VIN# and end user information including address and phone number if possible. Hispec will generate and maintain this data base.

4. The dealers and end users will contact HiSpec directly with their VIN # and information and receive an authorization code to get the wheels replaced at no cost.

5. HiSpec will ship the replacement wheels (different style) immediately, including call tags to return the wheels involved in the recall to HiSpec.

6. HiSpec will monitor returned wheels using the data base developed in step 3.

7. HiSpec will generate provide quarterly status reports to NHTSA and assist the efforts of the OEs, and dealers.

Provide the estimated date(s) on which owner and purchaser notifications will be issued and the estimated date(s) for completion of those notifications.

Owner and Purchaser notifications are planned to start by February 24 and be complete by March 16, 2012.

Provide the estimated date(s) on which dealer and distributor notifications will be issued and the estimated date(s) for completion of those notifications.

Dealer and Distributor Notifications planned to start immediately and be complete by February 29, 2012

Describe the distinguishing characteristics of the remedy component/assembly versus the recalled component/assembly.

The replacement wheels will be a different style as shown below.

Alternatively, if the customer choses to wait for new wheels in the same style, the HiSpec Logo will be changed, both on the front of the wheel and cast into the back of the wheel.

Current Logo New Logo

*************IMPORTANT REMINDERS**************

A DRAFT version of the letter that the manufacturer intends to mail to owners and purchasers notifying them of the defect and/or noncompliance must be submitted to NHTSA at least five Federal Government business days before those letters are issued. In addition, it is recommended that the draft version of the letter that the manufacturer intends to send to its dealers and distributors concerning the defect and/or noncompliance also be submitted for review. For prompt receipt and review, drafts may be submitted to the attention of the Recall Management Division (NVS-215) via facsimile on

(202) 366-7882, or email to RMD.ODI@dot.gov.

A representative copy of all notices, bulletins, and other communications that relate directly to the defect or noncompliance and which are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser, must be submitted to NHTSA no later than five days after they are initially sent. This requirement applies both to the final version of the notification letter that is sent to owners and purchasers, as well as the final version that is sent to dealers and distributors. It also includes any follow-up notifications issued concerning a recall. The representative copies of the letters sent to owners and purchasers, and dealers and distributors, must be submitted via certified mail. It is strongly recommended, however, that additional representative copies be submitted via facsimile on

(202) 366-7882, or email to RMD.ODI@dot.gov, so that the submission can be more promptly reviewed. All submissions should be conspicuously labeled with the appropriate NHTSA-assigned recall number.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Here is another response from Rick: I get the idea he's very very frustrated with copycats...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the posts.

As I mentioned on the phone Friday. The T03’s have been copied by numerous sources. Hi Spec did it and their 16” wheel was recalled by the NHTSB. Carlisle just went thru a massive recall on the same wheels with lug bushings. The T02 has been copied also…..who knows if the clear coat issue is mine or someone else’s? Because we are the biggest we can get the praise when things are good and the grief when things are bad.

I’m going to make a run @ Airstream with hopes of getting a licensing agreement to provide application specific, compliant wheels for their coaches.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Last - I did let Rick know that several of you thought it would be a good idea for him to try to get his resellers, who are usually tire shops, to offer packages of 16 inch Airstream specific wheels with Michelin tires. He's chewing on it.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
One thing is not clear to me. Is he saying that there are counterfeit wheels labeled Sendel T-03 or is he saying there are identical looking wheels with something other than Sendel labeling?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
The latter. He said both the T02 and T03 are his original designs and said they are being copied by others, not counterfeited. There was pretty clear implication that the mostly Chinese knockoffs come with quality risks. It also felt like he is feeling lots of pressure to come up with new unique designs to protect his margins as the copycats take the money out of older designs.

He seems like a very good guy, certainly can feel his pain with the whole copycat thing. I wonder if you can trademark designs. I thing I'm going to try out a set of the T05s and see how they look.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
For the representative from Sendel, the T02's with peeling clear coat were received in Sendel shipping boxes. I have factory casting info, QC inspection stickers, and box labels, if he wishes to contact me via PM. However, I consider this a cosmetic defect only. Most likely, the clear coat on any manufacturer's wheels will peel off over time.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post

I wonder if you can trademark designs. I thing I'm going to try out a set of the T05s and see how they look.
It seems like certainly something should to be able to be done. I'm basing this on observation of recent court decisions in the electronics field. These decisions have shown that even vague ideas of how software should preform a particular function are apparently eligible for patents.

I like this version of the T05

Ken
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Thanks Ken. I was thinking about the plain aluminum finish thinking that would go well with my trailer, and I like the machined insert as compared to standard stainless or chrome caps. Can you share why you prefer the wheel with the black highlights better?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
Thanks Ken. I was thinking about the plain aluminum finish thinking that would go well with my trailer, and I like the machined insert as compared to standard stainless or chrome caps. Can you share why you prefer the wheel with the black highlights better?

Now that I see these I don't prefer the black. These would look a lot better on an Airstream. I'll make you a deal, you order these and I will trade you my now nearly priceless no longer available T-03s.
You are correct the inserts look much better.

Ken
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Hi Ken,

I did order them - Sendel T05-66655SM - just arrived last night and I'm hoping to put them on this weekend.

Here's what they look like in the box and with the cap installed.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Here is what the Sendel T05's look like on the trailer...

Old 03-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Question for the boss,
I noticed corrosion on my new, yet to be officially delivered EB wheels? Was there ever any clear coat on the machined polished sections? This unit was built in Dec/Jan and delivered to the west coast before 1/21/13. I picked at it with my fingernail and it didn't seem to be a thin surface issue like surface rust on chrome, but deeper. How to fix, would buffing have a chance?