Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
Putting a 23 Safari back on the road

A friend has kindly offered us the loan of their 23 Safari SE for a couple of weeks, this trailer has hardly ever been used on the road, if at all. Thinking about what I need to change to ensure it is safe for road use, I would say wheel bearing and tire replacement and a good brake and electrics inspection. Is there anything I am missing?
Where can I find the information on wheel bearing replacement?
Bejasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Take the trailer to someone who does rv service. Most likely, the wheel bearings and brakes do not need to be replaced, rather only serviced. This involves packing the wheel bearings with grease and adjusting the brakes.
The hitch needs to be setup for your vehicle and you need a brake controller.
I agree that you likely need new tires if the trailer has been sitting and the tires are 4 years old or more. Replace them even if they look good. Lots of threads on this forum about tire failures.
You should go through the trailer and make sure that everything works.
Enjoy your trip.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Take the trailer to someone who does rv service. Most likely, the wheel bearings and brakes do not need to be replaced, rather only serviced. This involves packing the wheel bearings with grease and adjusting the brakes.
The hitch needs to be setup for your vehicle and you need a brake controller.
I agree that you likely need new tires if the trailer has been sitting and the tires are 4 years old or more. Replace them even if they look good. Lots of threads on this forum about tire failures.
You should go through the trailer and make sure that everything works.
Enjoy your trip.
Thanks, the tow vehicle is a new F-150 with tow package and I will be fitting an Equalizer hitch before towing. Most mechanical work I can take care of myself, so repacking wheel bearings should not be a problem, however there is an RV service center about 20 miles away, so I could haul it over there and get them to check it all out.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Bejasus, If you are handy, you can adjust the brakes yourself. It tells you how in the Airstream owners manual.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
You will probably only need to repack the wheel bearings. Look at the tires carefully and check the DOT date code. If the tires are more than 7 years old; get new ones. Brakes are easy to check and adjust.
Read the manual.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Savannah , Georgia
OK, so trailer checks out fine with everything working. Trailer is actually not as stated, it is in fact a 2004 Safari 22LS. Equalizer will be fitted at Camping World of Savannah, prior to departure on our first trip to Texas/Oklahoma. Where do I find the correct wheel bearing identification in order to get the correct seals when I repack the bearings?