Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Powdercoat vs Painted Wheels?

I am considering having the wheels on our "74" Tradewind powdercoated. They are not badly pitted and should powdercoat well. Of course it would be cheaper to just prep and paint them. What have others done? We are considering red with chrome baby moon hubcaps. Anyone have pictures they could share? Thanks!

Bob
Indiana, PA

PA TAC-5
WBCCI-4871

Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not powder coated wheels, but I can tell you if it doesn't hold up any better than the powder coating on hitches, and I suspect it wouldn't, especially where the lug nuts tighten and the hub caps attach, I wouldn't do it.

Regular paint would be much easier and effectively touched up. Of course, YMMV.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Roadrunner!

While I haven't had the wheels on either my Airstream or Argosy powder-coated, I have had the wheels powder-coated on my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado. The powder-coat was part of the wheel restoration on the Cadillac, and I am very pleased with the durability of the finish that is now four years old. The only suggestions that I would make are:
  • Be sure that you make clear to the person doing the powder-coating whether you desire a matt or gloss finish. The shop that restored my Cadillac's wheels miscommunicated my desire for a gloss finish to the shop doing the powder-coat and I ended up with matt finish which I do not care for . . . it's durable, but doesn't provide the look that I wanted.
  • To preserve the front appearance, I would suggest insisting upon back-of-wheel balance weights when the wheels are balanced to avoid the damage that will result to the surface from balance weights. I insisted upon these, and the results have been excellent. I am utilizing lug nuts made for alloy wheels, and these help to keept the bottom of the lug wrench socket from contacting the surface of the wheel.
I am planning to have the wheels on my Minuet powder-coated when I get to the exterior restoration. I will definitely be insisting upon gloss finish when I have those three wheels powder-coated.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would powder coat them...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Kevin...good points. And as Steve mentioned I am concerned about the contact area of the lug nuts. Other threads on the internet suggest grinding away the powdercoating around the bolt holes in the wheel...which I think defeats the purpose of the powdercoating. Have you had any issues with lug nut loosening on your Cadillac? I never thought about wheel weights on the inside...that is a great suggestion. Two wheels are going to the shop today. I'll post pictures when they are finished. Thanks!

Bob
PA TAC-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Powder-coating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Roadrunner!

While I haven't had the wheels on either my Airstream or Argosy powder-coated, I have had the wheels powder-coated on my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado. The powder-coat was part of the wheel restoration on the Cadillac, and I am very pleased with the durability of the finish that is now four years old. The only suggestions that I would make are:
  • Be sure that you make clear to the person doing the powder-coating whether you desire a matt or gloss finish. The shop that restored my Cadillac's wheels miscommunicated my desire for a gloss finish to the shop doing the powder-coat and I ended up with matt finish which I do not care for . . . it's durable, but doesn't provide the look that I wanted.
  • To preserve the front appearance, I would suggest insisting upon back-of-wheel balance weights when the wheels are balanced to avoid the damage that will result to the surface from balance weights. I insisted upon these, and the results have been excellent. I am utilizing lug nuts made for alloy wheels, and these help to keept the bottom of the lug wrench socket from contacting the surface of the wheel.
I am planning to have the wheels on my Minuet powder-coated when I get to the exterior restoration. I will definitely be insisting upon gloss finish when I have those three wheels powder-coated.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
EVERYTHING that Kevin said!!!

The only area on our 53 Ford Victoria that needed restoration were the wheels, the powder coating is without blemish 8 years later.

Like everything restoration quality depends on performance. If done correctly I don't see the downside.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Kevin...good points. And as Steve mentioned I am concerned about the contact area of the lug nuts. Other threads on the internet suggest grinding away the powdercoating around the bolt holes in the wheel...which I think defeats the purpose of the powdercoating. Have you had any issues with lug nut loosening on your Cadillac? I never thought about wheel weights on the inside...that is a great suggestion. Two wheels are going to the shop today. I'll post pictures when they are finished. Thanks!

Bob
PA TAC-5
WBCCI 4871
I haven't had any problems with the lug nuts loosening in the years since the wheels were powder-coated. I believe that part of the reason that I haven't is the use of the stainless steel lug nuts that were designed for the Boyd Coddington alloy wheels that I also have for the Cadillac. The Cadillac Eldorado OEM wheels tend to be more fragile than any other GM wheel, and I am careful to always insist that a hand operated torque wrench be utilized when wheel removal/replacement is necessary. I ended up with 18 wheels before I found five that the shop could restore to operable condition so I am protecting those 5 wheels as much as is possible. Since these OEM wheels are primarly for towing use, I utilize a chrome center hub cover (designed for aftermarket chromed wheels) with spinner attachment so I don't have traditional hubcaps/wheelcovers or beauty rings . . . my theory is that the ventilated OEM wheels will do their job more efficiently if the vent holes aren't covered by full, non-vented wheel covers.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here is another option. Sand blast, por 15 metal prep, por 15 then rattle can. I did my Hensley like this and it's bullet proof so far.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Hi Ho that is my other option. I did the same thing on the tongue of our
78" and it came out great (less the sandblasting). Considering the time, cost of POR 15, and rattle paint...I may opt for the $80/wheel and see what happens.

Bob
PA TAC-5
WBCCI
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
You have probably seen this, but here is my rim paint using the Por15/rattle can method. I don't have much time on the road but they still look ok.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1068678
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
These 1935 Ford wires were powder coated 13 years ago as was the frame, radius rods and axles. Powder coating price was $50 per wheel last year including the sandblasting. I have three cars with powder coated wheels and loose lug nuts have never been an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02435.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	172366