Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I.

I always thought this was because the components were a matched set machined & ground to very close tolerances, and that it was always best - if not 100% essential - to also change the outer race when you changed the roller assembly.

If that is so, i wonder why they would even be sold separately? Any idea?

Brian.

Brian,

I can't answer that question, but I do like you, if I replace one, I replace both. IMHO it's just too cheap and too much risk to take the chance to do otherwise.

I have noticed if you buy bearings at Northern Tool, for instance, they come in sets like you say, and usually the inners and outers as well, but I've not bought bearings for the Airstream, or any other trailer of that weight capacity there. It seems also almost impossible to buy American made bearings now days.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Question Diffusing the FUDmongers

Rather than reply to the PMs I've gotten on this subject, I'll cover most of the questions here in this thread, since this thread seems to be the one referenced in the messages.

Do you know how many trailers have come in to our shop with damaged hubs and spindles (or worse) from improperly seviced wheel bearings? At least a dozen a year. "Improperly serviced" means too much or too little grease, not installing the seals correctly, overtightening the bearings, not cleaning the bearings properly, and even damage from dropping them.

Do you know how many trailers have come in to our shop in the last several years for failed Nev R Lube bearings? 0.

Etrailer sells Nev R Lube bearings for $148, less than half what some people trying to frighten you away from them say they cost.

There is no dismantling and installing new seals on a Nev R Lube bearing. if a technician tries removing the seal, he will ruin the bearing. Anyone that tries to tell you a Nev R Lube bearing assembly should be dismantled and inspected obviously has no experience with them.
Y'all can do what you want, but there are millions of cars and trucks running up and down the highways of the world with sealed bearings, and the number of failures, especially failures that cause further mechanical problems, is astronomically small.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #43
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Totally agree with you Andy!!!
Being a Automotive /Heavy equipment class a mechanic for 30+ yrs
I like to be able to check the brakes ,check the wheel brgs , brg cups etc.
I have changed many greaseless brearing assemblies on many vehicles.
Personally I like the old method. Once again just my own opinion!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Terry,

My experience on the automotive side is a bit different....I've replaced many "sealed" bearings at less than 50k. And quite a few required a spindle also.

Granted that may or may not apply to our trailer's, but a changeover is not planned for ours.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
RV service centers are quoting $400-500 just to repack bearings. Ridiculous.
I have repacked bearings a long time ago. I can do it myself, but I am getting lazy these days. Maybe I justify the cost of new hubs and bearings. Do I have to replace the axles too?
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
RV service centers are quoting $400-500 just to repack bearings. Ridiculous.
I have repacked bearings a long time ago. I can do it myself, but I am getting lazy these days. Maybe I justify the cost of new hubs and bearings. Do I have to replace the axles too?
Doing a major brake job, which includes packing the bearings, for a tandem, takes 2.5 hours of time,plus parts.

The following will help you to check out the axles yourself.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Doing a major brake job, which includes packing the bearings, for a tandem, takes 2.5 hours of time,plus parts.

The following will help you to check out the axles yourself.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Bring the trailer in, jack it up, install jack stands, remove wheels,hubs,shoes, inspect and clean all parts and re-assemble in .625hrs(aprrox 40 mins/wheel).

Sorry, not happening, don't care who you are or how good you are.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Bring the trailer in, jack it up, install jack stands, remove wheels,hubs,shoes, inspect and clean all parts and re-assemble in .625hrs(aprrox 40 mins/wheel).

Sorry, not happening, don't care who you are or how good you are.
Bruce,

Be careful in stating "facts".

Took me a little over 3 1/2hrs on the pad next to the house, it is reasonable that a COMPETENT AS service shop could beat that time.

PS.....Including new shoes and brake hardware kit. You do not need to do any brake work to re-pack bearings though.

Disclaimer....retired auto tech and service adviser with a complete tool box, compressor & wind tools.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

Wonder how many DIY'ers recognize the long handled tomahawk looking tool?

Automotive unitized bearing assemblies are seriously common items.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #50
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

There is no dismantling and installing new seals on a Nev R Lube bearing. if a technician tries removing the seal, he will ruin the bearing. Anyone that tries to tell you a Nev R Lube bearing assembly should be dismantled and inspected obviously has no experience with them.
Y'all can do what you want, but there are millions of cars and trucks running up and down the highways of the world with sealed bearings, and the number of failures, especially failures that cause further mechanical problems, is astronomically small.
Terry,

Good stuff.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bruce,

Be careful in stating "facts".

Took me a little over 3 1/2hrs on the pad next to the house, it is reasonable that a COMPETENT AS service shop could beat that time.

PS.....Including new shoes and brake hardware kit. You do not need to do any brake work to re-pack bearings though.

Disclaimer....retired auto tech and service adviser with a complete tool box, compressor & wind tools.

Bob
I stand by what I said. Time at the shop starts when you go to get the trailer- not when the traile r is in the air
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Bob, I am a current Factory service rep for a major heavy equipment manufacturer. I understand Labor Time guides
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #53
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Maybe the "book" rate is 2.5 hours, but I think it takes a little longer than that to do properly
When you have your trailer serviced, ask them how the mechanics are paid. Paid by the hours they spend working, or the "book" hours for the services they complete? It can work for you or against you. Depends on circumstances.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #54
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm another vote for the old style bearings. Easy to service. Easy to replace and can be done at the side of the road with minimum tools when necessary. Try to do that with the sealed units. NOOooooo. Not for me. I love new technology but until they get it right I'll stick with the old.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
I stand by what I said. Time at the shop starts when you go to get the trailer- not when the traile r is in the air
Quote:
Bob, I am a current Factory service rep for a major heavy equipment manufacturer. I understand Labor Time guides
Do the service tech's at JC drive the tractor?
I know I was billed menu hours for work done, but I don't know if the tech's are on a FR pay scale.

FWIW.....In a flat rate auto shop.
The time starts when the mechanic punches in on the job. In the FR shops I've worked at, unless he's being paid for a diag road test, it's not the Tech that brings the vehicle in, its the SA or lot jockey.

A labor time guide is just that...a guide.
Time for jobs done on a vehicle thats been thru several WNY Winter's will not be the same as the same job done on a two Winter Texas vehicle.

If that's different in an RV shop then all this verbosity is pointless.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I do not want to continue to argue this point, but Andy's statement was "Doing a major brake job, which includes packing the bearings, for a tandem, takes 2.5 hours of time,plus parts." Figure that out-that is .625hrs/wheel by ANYBODY'S time clock. Even if someone else brings the trailer in-it still can not be done.

Just Sayin'. Y'all have a nice day.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjay View Post
So I just discovered that the wheel bearings on my 2010 27 Flying Cloud are permanently sealed with grease. Not sure this is a good thing. Has anybody had experiences good or bad with this? Thanks
Would like to hear more about the question of the original post.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I do not want to continue to argue this point, but Andy's statement was "Doing a major brake job, which includes packing the bearings, for a tandem, takes 2.5 hours of time,plus parts." Figure that out-that is .625hrs/wheel by ANYBODY'S time clock. Even if someone else brings the trailer in-it still can not be done.

Hi, a major brake job includes cleaning all parts and lubing contact points; Also machining the drums. [both the shoe surface and the magnet surface] This all takes time. Slipping pads/shoes is not considered a major brake job in my books. Finding a shop that could properly machine my drums was the hard part. I know for a fact that my brake job and bearing repack was done correctly. [by me] I would have arced the shoes too if the shoe grinder wasn't still illegal to have and use.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #59
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I wrote the Airstream crash book in 1970, and was used by all the dealers in the USA.

A major brake does not include machining the drums.

It takes us less than 2 minutes to bring a trailer in.

That 2 1/2 hour charge, was used by us for over 25 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

I believe it can be done. In fact, a friend helped me do ours, and he builds hot rod cars for a living (his retirement job, actually). He is insanely fast at repacking bearings. It was amazing. I didn't time it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spent less than 40 minutes on each wheel. Yes, there were two of us, but I was just learning and most of the time slowing him down.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote