Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
50k NPF so far...

My Dad told me it was called maintenance....

Bob
Is that because you lube 'em with yogurt?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Is that because you lube 'em with yogurt?

Yep....it's the little critters that multiply and keep the bearings lubed, red raspberry werks best.

Bob
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
I know this thread has be quiet for a while. And I will search Nev-R-Lube as suggested, but I just spoke to the Airstream factory last week. The took my serial number and confirmed we have never lube bearings but insisted they needed to be serviced every year or 10,000 miles. What gives? From what the thread above seems to indicated this is simply not the case. Am I misunderstanding what the factory means as "service"? What really needs to be looked at? Thanks.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
I know this thread has be quiet for a while. And I will search Nev-R-Lube as suggested, but I just spoke to the Airstream factory last week. The took my serial number and confirmed we have never lube bearings but insisted they needed to be serviced every year or 10,000 miles. What gives? From what the thread above seems to indicated this is simply not the case. Am I misunderstanding what the factory means as "service"? What really needs to be looked at? Thanks.
Hi, just the brakes, I would say. On my trailer, I found a broken brake magnet wire and a loose brake shoe anchor pin when repacking my bearings. Since I manually down shift my transmission on hills and never ride my brakes, my shoes are still like new after about eight years. Some people can really cook their brakes and for sure should be checked every year.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The bearings should be checked for "end play". But you do that without even taking off the tire. Just jack it up, grab the tire at 180* apart points and rock the tire. If you "think" you might feel some play, they are OK. If you do definitely feel play and question if it is too much, have it checked out.

They should have similar free play as a properly adjusted old fashioned set of repackable wheel bearings would have. It's a learned "feel" thing.

EDIT: FWIW, I do carry one extra nev-r-lube wheel bearing with me. Yes, they are good for 100,000 mile life expectancy, but......just like cars, sometimes they fail and I don't think you will find them at the auto parts store around the corner.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Nev-R-Lube Wheel Bearing System

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
If you are uncomfortable with what the factory told you, then call Dexter and ask them. Dexter is going to tell you that the bearing assembly is rated at 100,000 miles and does not require periodic lubrication. Go to the following link for more detailed information.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post902069
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Nev R Lube bearnings

My previous trailers all required annual bearing maintenance. Even at that I had a couple of bearing failures on a lightweight axle and never want to go there again. My 2010 AS has 16,000 mi and I am delighted at the nev r lube axles. As the manual says, I had them inspected at 10,000 mi. the dealer pulled the drum, inspected the seal, bearings and brakes and reinstalled them finding nothing wrong setting the hub nut at the correct setting.
I have a lot of faith in the new bearings.
Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hound View Post
My previous trailers all required annual bearing maintenance. Even at that I had a couple of bearing failures on a lightweight axle and never want to go there again. My 2010 AS has 16,000 mi and I am delighted at the nev r lube axles. As the manual says, I had them inspected at 10,000 mi. the dealer pulled the drum, inspected the seal, bearings and brakes and reinstalled them finding nothing wrong setting the hub nut at the correct setting.
I have a lot of faith in the new bearings.
Lou
Pulling a drum and not replacing the grease seals, is a first class seat to major trouble.

It's impossible to inspect the inner bearing without removing the grease seal.

If so, your shop never inspected the inner bearing, properly.

Seals are ALWAYS replaced, and never, ever, reused.

They are way to cheap to even think about the risk.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
The same thing happened to me. I bought a 2010 25FB International from an AS dealer and noticed that one wheel hub was running hot. I took it to the dealer for a bearing repack. They said they did the job and charged me.
I still noticed the same wheel hub was running hot so I took my AS to a local shop that specializes in hitches and trailers.
They told me the bearings were Never Lub and my problem was a brake dragging
They fixed it and charged me less than the dealer had who "serviced" my bearings.

By the way, that AS dealer is no longer an AS dealer. I wonder why.
swfloridaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
I want to put these bearings in my 2004 international 28'. I think I have 7000 lb axles. What size do I need?
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
I want to put these bearings in my 2004 international 28'. I think I have 7000 lb axles. What size do I need?
You cannot replace just the bearings.

You must replace the complete hub and drum that include the bearings.

We don't believe in them, therefore we have never sdold any.

But, be prepared as they cost over $ 300.00 each, plus shipping.

Unfortunately, the down side is that they distract you from thinking about the brakes, which certainly do not last 100,000 miles.

Since you have to remove the hub and drums to service the brakes every
ten thousand miles, why not repack the bearings as well, at the same time??

Also keep in mind that no one keeps any parts for the Nev-r-lube, so if you have a breakdown, you will have to order the parts.

On paper, I think they are great. In service, I think they should be passed by.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
You can't just install these bearings in a trailer that did not come with them. The hubs and spindles are different.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Kiss.....

Bob
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Kiss.....

Bob
Not doing that is more simple!

Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
After two unpleasant experiences with different dealers whom I had paid to repack bearings and did not, I am quite happy to do them myself!

At least I know the work is done, and it gives me a little more confidence that I really do know the condition of my bearings and brakes.

It is indeed a messy job, but with nitrile gloves and lots of absorbent cloth is not so bad.

At the risk of being called a fool I will admit to a little cheating! I do pull the wheels every year to inspect and repack, but I only replace the seals every second year.

This means that I do not pull the inner bearing on the other years. I do however feel in through the bearing to make sure if feels smooth as I rotate it, and I also pack some grease into the back bearing. I use a grease gun from the front, then work the grease into the inner roller cage by reaching in through the seal with my fingers.

I wash the outer bearing, inspect, and repack. As mentioned, every second year I do a full job on both.

It doesn't take very long to do all this now that I have done it many times, maybe 3 or 4 hours. The task is made faster by use of Lynx levellers to raise the wheels and an air wrench to speed removal.

In fact I just pulled all the wheels a couple of weeks ago since I had been obliged to tow the trailer through a long section of flooded road and wanted to ensure it had not set me up for an imminent bearing problem. All was fine.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not doing that is more simple!
WADR.....never say never.

How much was that hub on an AWD Astrovan?

I will feel more comfortable with them after they've had some time on the road.

"At least I know the work is done, and it gives me a little more confidence that I really do know the condition of my bearings and brakes."

^
X2

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There's an old mechanics trick to remove the inner bearing and seal without doing any damage. So long as everything is in good condition and comes out without falling apart you can re-install as usual. If they are old and fall apart it means that they have not been serviced in a long, long time. After removing the drum and outer bearing you put the castle nut back on a few turns. Slip the drum over the nut and using the nut as an anvil you can pull outward catching the inner bearing on the nut. It will take a good snap pull but the bearing will force the seal out doing no damage to it. Now, if it does damage it there were other things at work here and so it goes. Replacement is the only option but I've never had it not work out and I've done it many times. Even when I do replace the seals this is how I remove the old one to save for emergencies.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
There's an old mechanics trick

Roger,

Good tip, thanks, I will give that a try! In the past, I either use a wooden dowel to tap the inner bearing and seal from the inside, or just use a screwdriver and hammer from the outside and destroy the thin metal housing of the seal so that it easily comes out.

On a Whenever I had to replace outer bearing races (haven't needed to do that yet on the AS) I take the old race, roughly grind all around the O.D with an angle grinder so it is a loose fit in the bore, then use it to help the new race in evenly. I generally put the new race in the freezer the day before as well and that seems to make it easier.

I suppose it would be better to use a softer brass driver of the right size - but I don't have such animals!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
On a Whenever I had to replace outer bearing races (haven't needed to do that yet on the AS) I take the old race, roughly grind all around the O.D with an angle grinder so it is a loose fit in the bore, then use it to help the new race in evenly. I generally put the new race in the freezer the day before as well and that seems to make it easier.

I suppose it would be better to use a softer brass driver of the right size - but I don't have such animals!

Brian.
Brian,

I do a similar thing with the old race. I cut a slot all the way thru one side with a power saw, and use it for a driver for the new race. The slot of course allows the old race to compress easily, and go into and out of the bore easily.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Brian,

I do a similar thing with the old race. I cut a slot all the way thru one side with a power saw, and use it for a driver for the new race. The slot of course allows the old race to compress easily, and go into and out of the bore easily.
Good idea!

Sometimes, if I have time to spare, I take the old race that I have roughly ground on the OD so as to be undersized, I will then weld a flat bar across one side so that I can tap on the centre rather than going around the edge so as to do the best job I can of driving the new race in square all the way.

One thing that surprises me when buying Airstream bearings is that you buy the roller assembly and cage separately from the outer race.

I don't have a lot of experience buying bearings, but if I recall, bearings I have bought for other applications - such as the small luggage trailer I built to pull behind our motorcycle, they come in a set with rollers/cage/inner race, and the outer race also included. (Otherwise termed the bearing "cup" and "cone" I think.

I always thought this was because the components were a matched set machined & ground to very close tolerances, and that it was always best - if not 100% essential - to also change the outer race when you changed the roller assembly.

If that is so, i wonder why they would even be sold separately? Any idea?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'