Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am not sure the derate of 1.1 really applies to something that has such and low center of gravity as an Airstream you either way you have plenty of margin. My trailer tops out at 7000 lbs and I have had no issues with 235/75-XL15 tires. Trailer tires have a pretty easy life compared to car tires.

A trailer tire is like the rear tires on a front wheel drive car.

Perry

Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Bottom line. An owner is responsible for the overall safety of their trailer and FMVSS regulations are not binding on them.

FMVSS regulations are the minimum requirements that vehicle manufacturers must abide. They are not written for the public at large to use as they see fit.

When the RV trailer manufacturer does the final certification on a trailer the minimum requirements for tires on that trailer are printed right on that label. If the trailerís manufacturer has not made provisions for optional tires there are none, without their recommendations.

Tire industry standards do not allow for using replacement tires with less load capacity than the OE tires. Only owners or unscrupulous retailers will do such a thing. Strong words, but accurate.

BA

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
BA,

Your post here, and those in the past concerning tires, sound like the voice of experience, which we all appreciate.

What tires are you running on your trailer?

Thanks.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Black Aces has a valid point. But the ST tires don't seem safe. I have read a lot of posts telling of tire failure. I will take my chances with the LTX's. They seem to be getting positive reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Bottom line. An owner is responsible for the overall safety of their trailer and FMVSS regulations are not binding on them.

FMVSS regulations are the minimum requirements that vehicle manufacturers must abide. They are not written for the public at large to use as they see fit.

When does the final certification on a trailer the minimum requirements for tires on that trailer are printed right on that label. If the trailerís manufacturer has not made provisions for optional tires there are none, without their recommendations.

Tire industry standards do not allow for using replacement tires with less load capacity than the OE tires. Only owners or unscrupulous retailers will do such a thing. Strong words, but accurate.

BA
Tell us who is going to pay for the wheel well when the ST china bombs that the RV trailer manufacturer recommended explodes? Your going to look hard and long to find a LT that exploded for no reason.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yep. $2500 worth of damage when an ST tire blew out and penetrated the wheel well into all the kitchen plumbing. Never again...good thing the insurance (USAA) covered it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hours about tires

Time for new rubber for the trailer. Like most folks here, I have read for hours about tires.

I have been running U.S. made GYM's on my 34 for about 37,000 miles. They have not be a problem. After 5 years, they are aging but mostly they are about worn out...34's are fairly hard on tires due to the pronounced scrubbing of the rears when turning. I rotated them twice but they are about used up. Just decided to look at other options this time.

Not trying to highjack this thread, I have a method to my madness.

I was all set to put Maxxis 225-75-15 E rated tires on, then found this thread and the good reports on the Michelin LTX 235-75-15.

I am staying with the 15'' wheels, and have run Michelin's on my cars and trucks for years. Great tire.

Am I correct in assuming that this particular Michelin is a D rated tire?

The GYM are D's. I credit the 3rd axle to spreading the load better than a double axle. My 34 grosses at 9,000, we travel at about 8,000. Tires at 50 psi.

Did a little price shopping at Discount Tire web site. The Maxis sells for $135, the Michelin $118. Hmmmm.

It is never good to pay too much for something but often worse to pay too little.

Does the Michelin cost less because more are made, or does the Maxxis cost more because there are fewer made?

Where does this price difference come in.

Thanks.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #22
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
John,
The price difference comes in when you have a blowout.

What does the data plate on your trailer read? I'd be willing to bet your trailer came with load range C tires at 50 psi from the factory. A load range D tire at 50 psi carries the same load as a load range C tire at 50 psi.

The P235/75/15 Michelins LTX MS/2 are XL (extra load) Passenger tires. They have the same derated load carrying capacity as an LT 235/75 15 load range C tire.

Another option would be LT 215/75 15 Load range D GoodYear Wrangler HT. They are rated at 2,096 lbs at 65 psi. You can ask CWF about them.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ue-168

Sandlapper,

I have been using a Maxxis UE-168 for the past 25,000 miles and 7 years. They are getting old now, but look brand new (I keep them covered all the time). I've been very happy with the Maxxis. They are both LT and ST rated, and are a commercial tire. Oh, size is 235/75-15". They are D tires. I stumbled across them by accident, but have had great success with them.

Looking to replace soon. Am not sure if I want to plunk down the cash to buy six new 16" or maybe even 17" wheels, or just get another set of these. I'm a big Michelin fan, and like BFG a lot too. But these Maxxis have been good tires for me. I run 60psi even and have had an ink pen on the table and 500 miles later, it was still there.

See you on the road,
Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks, gents, for your replys.

Stock was/is 225/75/15, 50 psi according to the plate. I assume D rated. Trailer is a '93 so likely GYM's, which are D's.

As mentioned before, I've had no trouble out of the GYM. Just going a different route this time. I would prefer the Michelin over the Maxxis, even tho the Maxxis is also a good tire.

The red flag went up when I saw the Michelin was less expensive. Never been one to buy cheap stuff, especially tires, of any kind.

5 years ago I spent months reading, pondering which tire to run and settled on the Marathon, contrary to most. No complaints. I specified US made, fresh, and that's what I got. They have served well.

Time to do it again. Already been pondering it for months.

Probably gonna be the Michelins.

Thanks all.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sandlapper/John - at 1984# derated capacity per tire (the 15" Michelin is P rated and on a trailer has to be derated 10%), 6 gives you 11,904 of load capacity and 9000# (on the scales? ) leaves about 25% headroom.

I don't know how much scrubbing and sidewall twisting you see on a tri-axle. I have a dual axle and sometimes when backing in, I do wonder if I'm ever going to pop a bead and lose the tire off the rim. So far so good - but it's a thought....

Good luck!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thanks Steve, one (good) thing I have heard about the ST tire was they could take the extra twisting and side forces put on the tire in typical trailering situations.

I too wonder about those sharp, twisting back ins. The rears on the 34 get a pretty good work out, even on a moderate turn in a parking lot.

One more thing to consider.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
John,
If the data plate reads 50psi, then it came with Load Range C tires.

You won't have a problem with the Michelins.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The controversy with the ST tires seems centered on the lack of consistency in manufacturing and concerns with process/materials in (highly UNregulated) Chinese facilities. I have not been able to locate Load Range D ST tires manufactured in the US or Canada.

I have the P LTX Michelins and am happy with them. If Michelin made a 15" Load Range D ST tire, I'd buy them.