Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Nuts on lug nuts Steel rim spare tire!y

After removing my alloy wheel with a blown tire and starting to install the steel rim spare tire on with the same lug nuts? WelllluuuhhhhhhBb gb ?l it won't work. The steel wheels are thinner than the alloy wheels and the lugs end up bottoming out and can't be tightened to hold the wheel in place.

Some one at Airstream really had there head up there, how can I say this, ah anus. The only way you can install the steel wheel is get 6, 1/2"X20 open ended lug nuts. I mean GET THEM NOW!! Don't have the same adventure I had walking 12 miles in the snow well you get the picture.
Siegel
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
It would be helpful if you posted the model and year of Airstream you have, along with details on the alloy and steel wheels in question.

Thanks.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not had this problem on my 81. I put the spare tire on to make sure it would fit.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
After removing your alloy wheel with a blown tire and starting to install the steel rim spare tire on with the same lug nuts? WelllluuuhhhhhhBb gb ?l it won't work. The steel wheels are thinner than the alloy wheels and the lugs end up bottoming out and can't be tightened to hold the wheel in place.

Some one at Airstream really had there head up there, how can I say this, ah anis. The only way you can install the steel wheel is get 6, 1/2"X20 open ended lug nuts. I mean GET THEM NOW!! Don't have the same adventure I had walking 12 miles in the snow well you get the picture.
Siegel
Keep in mind that if your trailer is a tandem axle model, it can be towed with 3 wheels safely.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
After removing your alloy wheel with a blown tire and starting to install the steel rim spare tire on with the same lug nuts? WelllluuuhhhhhhBb gb ?l it won't work. The steel wheels are thinner than the alloy wheels and the lugs end up bottoming out and can't be tightened to hold the wheel in place.

Some one at Airstream really had there head up there, how can I say this, ah anis. The only way you can install the steel wheel is get 6, 1/2"X20 open ended lug nuts. I mean GET THEM NOW!! Don't have the same adventure I had walking 12 miles in the snow well you get the picture.
Siegel
I've had my steel rimed spare on and the lug nuts supplied with the original aluminum wheel can be tightened just fine. Your issue may be specific to your model trailer or your style, source, and type of spare wheel.

I've converted to 16" Sendel wheels and am using the nuts supplied by Sendel. I also purchased a new 16" spare steel wheel from Sendel that is a duplicate of the 15" wheel that Airstream supplied with the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote