Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
New wheels and tires upgrade to 16" & Michelin

We recently had a bunch of work done on our 1999 30’ Classic at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford TX. Pictures are more fun, and I can’t upload enough into a single thread. So I’m posting different threads covering 1) replaced axels, 2) upgrade to disc brakes, 3) wheels upgraded to 16” aluminum rims and Michelin LTX tires, 4) new stainless steel (rock guards, new access panels for propane heater and hot water heater, plus new kitchen vent). We also had Centramatics installed, but won’t comment on them – not enough mileage, and there’s lots of other threads on them.

WHEELS AND RIMS: the axel and disc brakes were OK, but on to more fun stuff – eye candy! One of our rims had split, so we needed a new one. The original painted-steel rim was no longer available and our Goodyear Marathons were now 2 ½ years old. So David Tidmore at Roger Williams Airstream suggested we upgrade from the old 15” rims to 16”, and to get Michelin LTX tires.

What we got:

1) Michelin LT225/75R16D1 (LTX). I recall David Tidmore telling me specifically to get the D-range (8-ply, I think) as this was important for softening the ride for the trailer. I bought them at Discount Tire ($139 each) and had them mounted on the new rims, which we delivered to Roger Williams with the trailer.
2) Aluminum rims from www.trailertiresandwheels.com. Size: 16 x 7, Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5, Bore Size: 4.25, Load Rating: 3200 lbs @ 80 PSI, Offset: 0mm. Note the zero offset. VERY IMPORTANT. $105 each plus shipping. (this is not a plug for that website - I have no business interest there - if you like the wheels, that's where they are)

Results: Very cool. Very very cool. David said he may start carrying these since so many customers wanted them when they saw them on my waiting trailer while it was in his shop. For the old tires and rims, I listed them on Craigslist (Houston) with a very honest description of age and condition. Priced them at $200 (five tires), and placed the ad on Easter Sunday at 2pm. They were sold by 3pm, and picked up the next day!

Caveats: When I went to get a fifth Michelin for my spare, I was told they were discontinuing the D range and would only have the E (10-ply) range. There seems to be some uncertainty about this, so you might check it out further (something about maybe a different model/code but same D-range tire). Second caveat – beware of driving poorly as you find yourself watching your wheels in the side-view mirror when turning! Did I say – cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old wheels.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	659.7 KB
ID:	58817   Click image for larger version

Name:	New wheels.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	755.2 KB
ID:	58818  

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Isn't the LTX a light truck tire? Why didn't they recommend a trailer tire?
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
don't know. David said these were the right tires.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Maybe David is as tired of chinese tires as I.
Are the Michelins italian? look on the sidewall

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Why? LTX

Way kool on new wheels and tires, congrats. I'm also considering going to 16 inch wheels and tires so your timimg is perfect and thanks for product info. I've just had it with 15 inch trailer tires. now ALL being made overseas, china, with poor quality. In my research I've also heard the Michelin is the way to go. I will look to see about D vs E availabilty on Michelin, thanks for the heads up. When my 1500 mile, 2, greenballs & 1 at 1800 miles seperated. Discount upgraded me to E load range greenball. Do not support going E rated because its a ROUGH ride. Noticed drawers coming open and loosing rivets inside kitchen area, this never happened with D range in the past. Enjoy your ride & Happy travels
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
We recently had a bunch of work done on our 1999 30’ Classic at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford TX. Pictures are more fun, and I can’t upload enough into a single thread. So I’m posting different threads covering 1) replaced axels, 2) upgrade to disc brakes, 3) wheels upgraded to 16” aluminum rims and Michelin LTX tires, 4) new stainless steel (rock guards, new access panels for propane heater and hot water heater, plus new kitchen vent). We also had Centramatics installed, but won’t comment on them – not enough mileage, and there’s lots of other threads on them.

WHEELS AND RIMS: the axel and disc brakes were OK, but on to more fun stuff – eye candy! One of our rims had split, so we needed a new one. The original painted-steel rim was no longer available and our Goodyear Marathons were now 2 ½ years old. So David Tidmore at Roger Williams Airstream suggested we upgrade from the old 15” rims to 16”, and to get Michelin LTX tires.

What we got:

1) Michelin LT225/75R16D1 (LTX). I recall David Tidmore telling me specifically to get the D-range (8-ply, I think) as this was important for softening the ride for the trailer. I bought them at Discount Tire ($139 each) and had them mounted on the new rims, which we delivered to Roger Williams with the trailer.
2) Aluminum rims from www.trailertiresandwheels.com. Size: 16 x 7, Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5, Bore Size: 4.25, Load Rating: 3200 lbs @ 80 PSI, Offset: 0mm. Note the zero offset. VERY IMPORTANT. $105 each plus shipping. (this is not a plug for that website - I have no business interest there - if you like the wheels, that's where they are)

Results: Very cool. Very very cool. David said he may start carrying these since so many customers wanted them when they saw them on my waiting trailer while it was in his shop. For the old tires and rims, I listed them on Craigslist (Houston) with a very honest description of age and condition. Priced them at $200 (five tires), and placed the ad on Easter Sunday at 2pm. They were sold by 3pm, and picked up the next day!

Caveats: When I went to get a fifth Michelin for my spare, I was told they were discontinuing the D range and would only have the E (10-ply) range. There seems to be some uncertainty about this, so you might check it out further (something about maybe a different model/code but same D-range tire). Second caveat – beware of driving poorly as you find yourself watching your wheels in the side-view mirror when turning! Did I say – cool!
Nice right up. About how much did it raise the trailer height when you changed over? The reason I'm asking is that my new tow vehicle is higher than my last one and this would be an easy solution to make it all level again.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
How much did it raise the trailer...

The trailer came up 2 ¼ inches, but it was in part because of the new axels with higher deflection. See my other write-up.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-41446.html
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
The trailer came up 2 ¼ inches, but it was in part because of the new axels with higher deflection. See my other write-up.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-41446.html
Thanks, I'll check it out too!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
what it all cost...

In one of the threads I was asked what this all cost.
These numbers are rounded, so the totals may not add exactly:

Rock Guards: $1100 ($350 labor, $540 parts, $225 shipping)
Axels: $1800 ($350 labor, $1300 parts including shocks, $180 shipping)
Disc Brakes: $2800 ($880 labor, $1,920 parts)
Stainless Steel: $375 ($52 labor, $322 parts) for furnace panels, etc etc.
Replace tool box: $401 ($242 labor/welding, $145 parts)
Tires: Michelin LTX $139 x 5 = $695 plus $50 mount/balance
Aluminum wheels: $105 x 5 = $525 plus shipping ($75, I think)

A plain painted steel spare was $75, so I opted for a 'full-image' spare.

Hope this helps.
By the way, David Tidmore is no longer with Roger Williams Airstream.
Our loss. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. He'll still answer questions from customers.

I'll post this in all the threads.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
You can use load range "E" tires, however, to soften the ride on the trailer you would need to consult the Michelin load inflation table for RV tires. The 10 ply tire with 55 psi would probably ride better than an 8 ply tire at 80 psi.

Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote