Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
New wheel flew off on the Interstate

I purchased new wheels and tires for my 1974 Sovereign. I drove 4 miles onto the interstate and one of the wheels with the mounted tires flew off. i was lucky that it did not kill someone.
The tire company mounted the tires onto the wheels and I took them home and mounted them. I used a torquing wrench like I always do and attached the lug bolts. The wheels are M B Motoring aluminum wheels. The holes for the lug bolts showed metal shavings. The bolts were missing from the wheel. The other wheels also showed metal shavings around the holes for the lug bolts. Is this a metal defect in the aluminum wheels? They are made in China.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I don't think so.

I think that either the wheels are not going all the way back on the hub and/or the wheels need a different style lug nut.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, check the inside of the center hole, They might not be large enough or not centered on the hub. [look for marks around the inside of the center hole]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Don't MB wheels have centering tabs and trailer wheels do not? My Interstate wheels dis but my trailers did not. Or do I remember incorrectly? Jim
Old 10-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
MB wheels, lug bolts? Or lug nuts? Also aluminum wheels may need different nuts or bolts from steel. Jim
Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The lug nuts may not match the wheels.The shavings around the lug holes indicate the nuts were digging into the surface, not mating to it. I have different summer and winter aluminum wheels and tires for my wife's car, one set factory wheels and the other Borbet. When I change them over, I have to use different lug nuts as the angle on the lug holes is different for each set of wheels.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
Thanks for the advice. The 1974 AS uses lug bolts. I can purchase a longer bolt with a different chamfer. These wheels will have to be returned to the manufacturer because the chamfer has changed. The aluminum was not as strong as the metal in the original AS aluminum wheels. My tire company told was told by the manufacturer that there was compatibility with my hubs. It was remarkable that I was driving under 40 MPH and I had gone less 5 miles. I am always checking lug bolt tightness with a torque wrench. This was a dangerous event with costly damage to the AS. I will never accept a manufacturer's claim again.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I just had the tires on mine rotated, and the folks at Don Owen had me initial a warning to return after 50 miles to have everything re-torqued and tightened. Something about aluminum wheels.

I drove it here and there, rather than the car, and returned it for tightening.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Wheels

Were any of the other lugs loose ? Theres a good possibility the wheel may have been missed if you were distracted in your tightning proceedure , If the others are OK it could be that the hub on that axle could be different from the others causing the wheel not to seat . Was it a wheel on the left side and did those lugs have left hand threads ? It is fortunate no one was hurt .

I always tighten lug nuts 3 times so I know things are seated properly . To fall off within 4 miles it's hard for me to believe they were threaded on very much.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Dexter , Michigan
It could be the lug nuts are not the correct type it could be they are bottomed out on the drum or hub as it may be. try your other good wheel up on a jack and see if their is play once you have it tightened it down or even the putting the nut on the wheel (off the spindle) look at the back of the wheel does the nut protrude past the back of the wheel? making the wheel loose even after you have the nuts torqued down? These could be the wrong wheels for the application.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Have you jacked up the other wheels to see if they are loose? Otherwise, all the possibilities have been posted already.

Maggie, with any vehicle and tires, they recommend you check the lug nuts after several intervals, one of them usually being 50 miles. I can't remember how many times I have not done it. It is a good idea, but by the time I've gone 50 miles I don't want to stop.

Gene
Old 11-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
Here is an update on my original post. I have new steel chrome plated wheels. When the tire company attempted to mount the wheels to the 1974 AS, the lug bolts would not firmly grasp the wheel using their impact wrench. The tire company is inserting studs into the hubs. The wheels will be held in place with lug bolts rather than lug bolts. I will give you all feedback. Hubs with lug bolts make it really difficult to mount wheels.

My insurance policy may not cover damage done to the trailer's wheel well and skin.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Have you jacked up the other wheels to see if they are loose? Otherwise, all the possibilities have been posted already.

Maggie, with any vehicle and tires, they recommend you check the lug nuts after several intervals, one of them usually being 50 miles. I can't remember how many times I have not done it. It is a good idea, but by the time I've gone 50 miles I don't want to stop.

Gene
I pull new campers from manufacture to dealers and we are required to check torque before we leave the yard, again at 25 miles, again at 50 miles, and again at 100 miles. It is unbelievable how many have loose wheels in the yard and also how many need retorqued at the 25 mile mark. There will usually be a few lug nut loose at 25 and occasionally at 50 mile interval. Great habit to get into. OVERKILL ? could be but if we loose a wheel guess who pays for it, it ain't the manufacturer!