Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
It is up to the buyer to tell the seller what they want, before the sale. IMO, if someone did not say which type weights were wanted, it is their own fault!

My recent experience with new tires; I asked the cost difference for the adhesive applied weights. Cost me ~$2 per wheel extra on my truck.

They were force balanced while I watched, so it can be done.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
It is up to the buyer to tell the seller what they want, before the sale. IMO, if someone did not say which type weights were wanted, it is their own fault!

My recent experience with new tires; I asked the cost difference for the adhesive applied weights. Cost me ~$2 per wheel extra on my truck.

They were force balanced while I watched, so it can be done.

Of course it can be done. It's been done on my three Airstreams and multiple cars, SUVs and trucks I've owned with aluminum wheels. Same tire shop has sold me multiple sets of tires mounted on aluminum wheels, never weights on the outside in the 12 years I've used them. I haven't seen an outside-mounted weight in 20 years on any of my vehicles. So it never occurred to me that I might suddenly needed to ask this time.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Tape weights on the inside of rim is the professional way to balance aluminum wheels.The weight shown will fly off.These are meant for steel rims with a inner and outer lip.Definitely a poor choice.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Over many yrs. having mag and aluminum wheels I spec. weights inside, no outside, no prob. w/tires out of balance. Some times they will argue about placement of weights but it's your call not there choice. If prob. w/installer simple solution walk away pur. some other place.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Before they went to "flangeless" wheels, most, if not all, wheels (steel & alloy) had clip-on weights on the outside and inside. Most used coated weights which helped minimize the amount of corrosion but didn't eliminate it because once the weight wore thru the clear coat, corrosion would start.

Now that a lot of OEM wheels are flangeless, they are using stick on weights on the center of the inside.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have found that you need to tell the tire shop to use adhesive weights or they default to the clip on weights. Make this part of your checklist when getting new tires and also to put on metal valve stems.
The clip on weights will cause corrosion on the rim. I would have them changed.

Correct. But you also need to possibly pay a couple bucks more. Wheels need to be very clean and the adhesive weights cost the dealer more too.

BUT Modern spin balancers can identidythat weight needs to be placed on inside or outside or both edges of wheels to balance "dynamic" forces.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Mackay , Idaho
Following this thread now, is there a prior post to the advantages of going from stock 15" wheels to 16" wheels? I just purchased our International 27FB and am curious. Thanks all.
Gmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmccloskey View Post
Following this thread now, is there a prior post to the advantages of going from stock 15" wheels to 16" wheels? I just purchased our International 27FB and am curious. Thanks all.

Search around on the forum there are many threads on the topic. The main reason to upgrade from 15 to 16 is in increased choice of tires. Many go to a light truck tire.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Windsor , Ontario
What about using Centramatic automatic wheel balancers?

https://youtu.be/ullnFQD4F1I

Centramatic Balancer
Aside from new axle equipment, your Airstream trailer’s ride could benefit from adding centramatics. These aluminum balancers fit between the wheel and hub of your axle and provide a stabilizing feature to your wheels; reducing the amount of vibration experienced. If you are interested in a simple install that will drastically improve the quality of your ride in tow, don’t forget to ask us about Centramatics for your trailer.
MikeG82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #30
tamiot

2004 25' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
Make them change it!

Personally, I don't like weights on the outside of any vehicle (not counting farm trucks, tractors, etc). The weights are ugly and I don't see why they would do that. Laziness? Habit? Whatever the reason, IMHO, it's wrong! I would stop in and politely ask when you can come back to have them correct the "oversight." Tell them you're sure they didn't do it on purpose, but it's hard to take pride in the way your Airstream looks now and every time you look at it now it's a sore spot for you. I'm sure it doesn't make you think as kindly of the business as it would if they were put on the way they should have been in the first place. I doubt they'll give you any hassle over this. Hopefully not? (If they do, ask to look at their private vehicles and see where they are on their tires.)
tamiamiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiamiot View Post
Personally, I don't like weights on the outside of any vehicle (not counting farm trucks, tractors, etc). The weights are ugly and I don't see why they would do that. Laziness? Habit? Whatever the reason, IMHO, it's wrong! I would stop in and politely ask when you can come back to have them correct the "oversight." Tell them you're sure they didn't do it on purpose, but it's hard to take pride in the way your Airstream looks now and every time you look at it now it's a sore spot for you. I'm sure it doesn't make you think as kindly of the business as it would if they were put on the way they should have been in the first place. I doubt they'll give you any hassle over this. Hopefully not? (If they do, ask to look at their private vehicles and see where they are on their tires.)

Interesting concept that using "clip-on" weights is not normal practice. What do you think the numbers would be if we went to a parking lot and looked at the wheels on 25 cars. Would we find any with weights on outside flange? If not on outsideflangehow many specifically asked for the more expensive stick-on weights?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #32
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks for all the replies. My steel wheel for the spare arrived today, so I took it in to get the 5th Endurance mounted, and also took back the 4 Sendels (hadn't put them on the trailer yet) and requested that they change them to inside weights. There was the very brief statement that actually, outside and inside is technically the 'perfect' way to balance (a couple of the sendels actually had weights on the outside AND inside upon closer examination) and I've learned that is true--but there was zero argument when I asked for them to be changed. They also aren't charging me for mounting the spare.

I also did get Centramatic balancers that I will be putting on when I mount the Sendels.

So this case is closed
Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #33
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Search around on the forum there are many threads on the topic. The main reason to upgrade from 15 to 16 is in increased choice of tires. Many go to a light truck tire.
Agree, you should research the tire threads. The reason to go from 15in to 16in wheels is that the Michelins are P rated extra Load tires in 15in and LT (Light Truck) rated in 16in size. Other brands will give you other options, so research the load ratings. The Ps need to be derated 10% for trailer use. The LTs do not need to be derated. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote