Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Need wheel backspacing info and weight cap suggestion

Like the title says. What is the AS wheel backspacing measurement on the OEM wheels? It's on my 73 Soverign that I just bought. I already know the wheels are supposed to be 15" x 6", have the standard 6 on 5.5" bolt circle and be rated for at least 2600 lbs.

Every wheel post I found here (and yes, I DID look ) just mentions "zero offset" and not something I can actually measure. I'm looking at a couple of new tire and wheel combos to replace mine and I'd like to know how to check for the proper backspacing.

Thinking on it further, since it's a 6" wide wheel, would that equal 3" of backspacing from the outer edge of the rim to the hub mounting surface?

On the wheel capacity rating, could a mostly gutted Soverign use a wheel rated at 2480lbs instead? By gutted I mean that the inside is stripped out and there is just benches around the inside (instead of furnature, sink, stove, fridge, etc...) which should only weigh about half of what the original interior parts weighed.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul
GoMopar440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a link to help you measure the offset.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
Like the title says. What is the AS wheel backspacing measurement on the OEM wheels? It's on my 73 Soverign that I just bought. I already know the wheels are supposed to be 15" x 6", have the standard 6 on 5.5" bolt circle and be rated for at least 2600 lbs.

Every wheel post I found here (and yes, I DID look ) just mentions "zero offset" and not something I can actually measure. I'm looking at a couple of new tire and wheel combos to replace mine and I'd like to know how to check for the proper backspacing.

Thinking on it further, since it's a 6" wide wheel, would that equal 3" of backspacing from the outer edge of the rim to the hub mounting surface?

On the wheel capacity rating, could a mostly gutted Soverign use a wheel rated at 2480lbs instead? By gutted I mean that the inside is stripped out and there is just benches around the inside (instead of furnature, sink, stove, fridge, etc...) which should only weigh about half of what the original interior parts weighed.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul
Airstream calls for a minimum of 2600 pound steel 15" wheels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Here is a link to help you measure the offset.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
So according to the chart on that link, 3.5" backspacing equals "zero offset". Thank you very much azflycaster!

On the wheel weight rating issue, are there any other opinions given the condition of the trailer in my original post?

If it MUST be 2600 lbs, fine. I'll just have to keep looking. I haven't been able to find any wheels rated for that locally just yet. I'm trying to avoid have to pay for shipping on top of the price of the tires and wheels if possible.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

1974 31' Sovereign
birmingham , Alabama
well, here are my thoughts on it. my son and i are working on a '74, sovereign. we had some water damaged flooring up front from some neglected vista view windows. we stripped everything from the front window to the axels. there was a whole lot of partical board in the dumpster i dont mind tellin ya and NONE of it will be returning. all of that to say, we're looking at losing around 1200# when all is said and done. we're going to rebuild everythng in aluminum and other light materials..that's what i do.
anyway...you're looking at a wheel that is rated 120# less than what is specified. multiply by four and you have 480#. if they're calling out 2600#, that's a worst case scenerio, fully loaded, full gray water, full black water, full fresh water, all standard equipment, full load of camp stuff, a battery, four people and probably a few stuffed animals to boot.
dude, i would do it if it were mine and i have family goin with me. i cant see a catastrophic come apart happening. go for it.
ssscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscully View Post
well, here are my thoughts on it. my son and i are working on a '74, sovereign. we had some water damaged flooring up front from some neglected vista view windows. we stripped everything from the front window to the axels. there was a whole lot of partical board in the dumpster i dont mind tellin ya and NONE of it will be returning. all of that to say, we're looking at losing around 1200# when all is said and done. we're going to rebuild everythng in aluminum and other light materials..that's what i do.
anyway...you're looking at a wheel that is rated 120# less than what is specified. multiply by four and you have 480#. if they're calling out 2600#, that's a worst case scenerio, fully loaded, full gray water, full black water, full fresh water, all standard equipment, full load of camp stuff, a battery, four people and probably a few stuffed animals to boot.
dude, i would do it if it were mine and i have family goin with me. i cant see a catastrophic come apart happening. go for it.
Tandem axle trailer tires catch holy devil, when you make a tight turn, which imposses huge side stresses, on the wheels.

Most owners usually abide by a manufacturers specs, even for wheel ratings.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Aransas Pass , Texas
I just picked up some 225/75-15 trailer tires and 15x6 wheels today. The tires are Carlisle brand and they're load range D rated. I stuck with the stock size tires and wheels for now because of the condition of my axles. The comprable 16" setups were about an inch taller and wider then the 15" setups. Maybe after I adress the axles I'll upgrade to 16", but these will work just fine for now.

The wheels are rated for 2560 lbs, which should be ok considering how much lighter my AS is compared to stock. The wheels meet all the other oem specs so I should be good to go.

I'm going to paint the wheels silver (they're black now) and mount them up as soon as I get the AS out from under the house where it's currently sitting. Long story there...