Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Need to Know where I can buy wheel bearings and seals for a '73 Argosy

Just towed my new trailer home and before I got on the freeway I stopped and packed the bearings on the side of the road. turns out had a couple bad bearings so my 5 hr drive turned into 9 hrs. Stopped alot and let the hub cool down. It was really no problem in a pinch but dont want to do that again.. Im in Los Angeles California and really have no idea where to find parts or supplies for this Argosy.. Any help would be appreciated...

Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
One place that comes to mind is Inland RV in Corona, CA. Andy is a regular contributor here on the forums.

Welcome to the group. Glad you made it home intact.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Need wheel bearing for a '73 Argosy

Need to know where I can get new bearings. I have 10" brakes.. Anyone know where I can get them? Or any argosy parts for that matter.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Perhaps you could check my answer in your other thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post1004322.

Same answer.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
I looked on his site and only found bearings for 12" brakes on Airstreams. I thought they were different.. I'll call there on Monday.. Thanks for the heads up..
Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I looked on his site and only found bearings for 12" brakes on Airstreams. I thought they were different.. I'll call there on Monday.. Thanks for the heads up..
Guess I should have mentioned, they only have their parts that are on sale online, not everything that they have. Give them a call, they should be able to help you out.

There are other places that you should know about for online purchases too, I listed Inland first because they are so close to you. Also checkout Out-of-Doors Mart and Vintage Trailer Supply. For non-Airstream/Argosy specific parts like appliances, ACs, plumbing, etc. I've had good experiences with PPL in Houston.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy 26. Bought the bearings at Napa, they only had 2 seals, so I went to Carquest and got the other 2 seals. These are not Airstream specific parts. so don't pay Airstream prices.
Just take the old bearings in and they can match them. Be sure to take the outer race for both inside and outside bearings.
If you need part numbers, PM me, I think I have a complete set for one spindle in the trailer. I'll check if you want.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I have a '74 Argosy 26. Bought the bearings at Napa, they only had 2 seals, so I went to Carquest and got the other 2 seals. These are not Airstream specific parts. so don't pay Airstream prices.
Just take the old bearings in and they can match them. Be sure to take the outer race for both inside and outside bearings.
If you need part numbers, PM me, I think I have a complete set for one spindle in the trailer. I'll check if you want.
Hey thanks. I think since I got to get them all anyway you should hang on to the extra you got. Never know when you gonna need it. I thought about just going to napa but I didnt want to pull it all apart til I knew where I could find them. I'm gonna try inland rv and if not I'll go to napa. Thanks for the advise
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Guess I should have mentioned, they only have their parts that are on sale online, not everything that they have. Give them a call, they should be able to help you out.

There are other places that you should know about for online purchases too, I listed Inland first because they are so close to you. Also checkout Out-of-Doors Mart and Vintage Trailer Supply. For non-Airstream/Argosy specific parts like appliances, ACs, plumbing, etc. I've had good experiences with PPL in Houston.
Thanks. I'm glad to know of some other places to get parts. I've used vintage trailer supply many times but never for airstream stuff..
Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks. I'm glad to know of some other places to get parts. I've used vintage trailer supply many times but never for airstream stuff..
Just an FYI, those bearings and seals are not specific to Airstream or Argosy trailers, or even travel trailers. You should be able to get those particular parts at any place that sells trailer parts. E&B Marine, West Marine, or any trailer repair place would have them, as well as any RV dealer.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I always carry spare bearings and seal for one wheel in our trailer and have done for the last two trailers we owned as well.

I'm hoping it works on the same principle that if you take an umbrella it won't rain! Never had to use the bearings on the road yet in about 35 years of trailer towing! Uh-oh, I'm in for it now!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Need to know where I can get new bearings. I have 10" brakes.. Anyone know where I can get them? Or any argosy parts for that matter.
Parts stocking Airstream dealers should be able to help you.

Andy
Old 07-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
If remove the inner and outer bearings you will see a number stamped on the bearing. My '78 Argosy has bearings by Timken inner - L68149, outer L44649. You can buy these on line or at boat or trailer shops.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are replacing the bearings you should also replace the "outer race" for both the inside and outside bearings. That's a different part number. Also replace the seals.