Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by ticki2
Action , I believe a '75 Tradewind has 4 wheels also , it seems the same reasoning would apply.
Correct. 6000 divided by 4 = 1500. No one builds them to handle the limit. They are built to handle the limit plus a safety margin. And some abuse. Trailer wheels are subjected to different load patterns than a vehicle. A vehicle has the wheels and axles spread far apart. The travel trailer has the axles very close together.

I do know vehicle wheels are not rated for 2600 pounds, untill you get specialty wheels or the vehicle is like a 3/4 ton truck or larger. The 2600 pound rating I get from Indland RV. My understanding of it is all wheels for all Airstreams require the 2600 pound rating. If that is true, I would be extremely hesitant of using a car or light truck wheel unless I knew it met that #.

On the used versus new ..... call me reckless, I would have no issues of using a used wheel from a wrecking yard off an RV. In fact I have one. If anyone has an issue with that I will give you my trailer plate # and if you see it you can steer clear should you wish. Sure I don't know the history. And I didn't know the history of the other 4 wheels on the trailer when I picked it up in Indiana and pulled it to Arizona. It might have been risky and I am willing to take the risk. I take risk every day when I get in a car and drive to work.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
We picked up our spare wheel and tire already mounted and ready for service from Tractor Supply. The very next trip we had a blow out and had to use it. Whew, that was nice to have.

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote