Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Method of Torquing Lug Nuts

Inorder to check the torque which in my case is 110#, should I test the nuts as they are or should they be loosened and then retorqued? I attempted to check the torque but even after applying reasonable pressure the wrench did not break. I assumed evrything was tight enough and left well enough alone. I realize that it is difficult to describe but how much pressure should be exerted before the wrench breaks or clicks, but I felt that I was a 200 # weakling or perhaps the wrench was not functioning..
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Retorquing requires that you first loosten the nut, then torque to specs. If they're so tight that they don't release at the specified tightening torque that's OK, you're really looking for loose ones.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Retorquing requires that you first loosten the nut, then torque to specs. If they're so tight that they don't release at the specified tightening torque that's OK, you're really looking for loose ones.
Thanks
Interesting I did find some loose nuts on my Hensely. I mean really loose.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Assuming that you did not torque the lug nuts yourself. I would suggest that you loosten them and retorque yourself as they may be way too tight. The fact that they don't loosten with the torque wrench set at 110# doesn't mean that they are neccessarily too tight, but it's easy enough to do it right. With the torque wrench set at 110 ft lbs, it should be fairly easy to reach "the click". If it is taking gorilla strength on the wrench, it could be malfunctioning.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Glad the subject came up. My neighbor and I disagree on the proper use of torque wrenches. Using a 'beam' type wrench, does it matter if you use an extension, ie 18 in pipe on the handle so old folks/weaklings can actually achieve the required torque? By the way, the handle does not 'wobble' like some models, it is fixed.
Thanks.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The calibration is not affected by extending the handle at the grip end, provided the extension device doesn't put pressure anywhere but the grip area, i.e. not down the shaft closer to the nut.

Since torque is measured by force times the moment arm, you can extend the wrench end with a special piece with square holes in each end. then you need to add a calculation for the longer moment arm.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 05-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
I have decided that I will leave well enough alone. I will take the path of least resistance and stop by the Camping World service Dept. They did it for me for me last time. Can't beleive I am so incompetent.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When I had tires replaced by CW, the only torquing they did was tighten until the air wrench stopped. I asked them to get a torque wrench and do it again.

Trust no one, 30 or not.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
When I had tires replaced by CW, the only torquing they did was tighten until the air wrench stopped. I asked them to get a torque wrench and do it again.

Trust no one, 30 or not.

Pat
Your correct. I stayed with them.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Excella...
I was with you on the first bit, which is what I thought...one can extend the handle from the handle, not the arm, and not affect the reading. However, your next comment left me a bit stupid. (which is easy to do). Just didn't get the second part. Sorry.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore

Trust no one, 30 or not.

Pat
Pat, You did the right thing. I personally would not trust CW to change a light bulb. This is based on the follow-up repairs I have had to do after a customers went to CW first for the lower price. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you want a $12/hour untrained/uncertified tech to work on your rig....go for it!

That said, adding an extension to a torque wrench will not effect the torque, but any torque wrench should be able to attain it's rated specifications, so why bother? You can also add an extension directly in line with the head of the wrench and the socket with no effect on the torque, but if you use any other type of attachment, like a crow's foot, you have to re-calculate the torque.

I have the formula buried somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

And finally, yes, to do a proper re-torque of the nuts, you should loosen them first and then re-torque them to spec.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Sorry I was being fuscus (or was that opaque?)! If you have a wrench with a 1 foot handle and pull on it with 100# of force, you get 100 ft/lbs of torque. If you extend the length of the handle to 2 feet, you only need 50# of force to get 100 ft/lbs. of torque. This is how you get to apply large torque settings with a small wrench (up to a point).

Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Using an extension from the socket to the wrench will make a differnece in the accuracy. Sometimes this can not be avioded because of the tire. Just make that extension as short as possible.

Using an extension on the handle of the torque wrench can have a bigger impact on the reading if the extension is attached to the wrench in an area other than the handle of the wrench. My beam type wrench has a pivot point in the handle. It is important that the pressure and/or extension be applied at that pivot point. Pressure in another area would give inaccurate readings. Same would apply to a click type wrench. Apply the pressure/extension to the handle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
apples and oranges

The fog of confusion creeps in on lttle cat feet...

Please note that "ACTION" and I are talking about different kinds of extensions!
He is referring to extending the distance between the socket and the wrench orthogonal to the wrench, a common practice to obtain adequate clearance.
I am refering to extending the distance inline (parallel) to the handle.

Finally, this isn't a super-critical item-small errors in wheel torque don't make much difference and is not likely to lead to disaster. If you have the wherewithall to torque to specs, great-do it. If you don't, then, better tight than loose until you can.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Actually I referred to both types of extensions.

And point well made. It is super critical. As long as the lug nut/stud do not break and the they are not loose or loosen up, then the objective is made! The wheel stays on the trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You know what they say-"torque is cheap"! Take it with a graain of road salt!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Sorry for the late reply, was out of town.
I get it, and agree with the handle extension...as you said, add to the handle length, and reduce the amount of force rqd to achieve the torque needed. That solves the "discussion" with my neighbor. modifying the wrench end I'll leave for the experts.
Thanks, Excella. Karma to ya.

Fully retired now!
Remember: