Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Match mount Marathons?

I bought a set of new Dexstar wheels and a set of Chinese Goodyear tires. They took about three ounces each to balance with the tires mounted with the red dot next to the tire stem.

This year I wanted them re-balanced to compensate for the Pressure Pro sensors. I thought it would be worth the extra bucks to have them Road Force balanced on a Hunter.

The first tire balanced with zero weight after the tire was rotated 180 deg, which put the yellow dot next to the tire stem.

The second tire took 6.5 oz. to balance with the red dot next to the stem. I had the shop rotate the tire 180 deg. and then the tire balanced with 2 oz.

My recommendation: If you want to match mount Marathons, is start with the yellow dot next to the tire stem. Your results may vary.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Does your commanding intellect translate into presence?

Out of curiosity, did you just walk over and monitor the technician? Tire shops around here have multiple signs advising, "Walk no further. Our insurance does not allow your QC!"

Or something like that.

The last time I surreptitiously monitored a tire shop, the boy glared at me and boy-handled my Burb's newly-painted appliance-white wheels.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
No I didn't. I've used this tire shop for 30 years, since it was a little hole-in-the-wall and the waiting room was a stack of old wheels next to the air compressor.

Now they are the largest independent tire store in the state and have a flat screen TV in the customer lounge.

I always talk to the service manager and the technician so they understand what I want and how to do it. I don't like people hovering over me either, so I let them do their job in peace.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Don, FYI, the yellow dot is the light part, it is supposed to be mounted near the valve stem.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If only Minnesota wasn't so cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
... I always talk to the service manager and the technician so they understand ...
Cool.

I have, as yet, not been afforded that dual opportunity.

Kim's not keen on cold weather or I would think about moving...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Don, FYI, the yellow dot is the light part, it is supposed to be mounted near the valve stem.
That's true, but I think standard practice at many tire shops has been to mount the red dot next to the tire stem. The red dot marks the maximum radial force point.

I think the red dot preference is outdated. Dexstar, the wheel mfg'g, doesn't mark the maximum runout point (radial force) or the point of lightest weight. They just punch out the tire stem hole at a random point.