Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Mag Wheels for the AS

I'm a newbie with lots of questions. I'm restoring a 1975 Internatioal, Sov. Land Yacht it has the old hubs caps, I'm thinking about adding some alum. wheels something better looking than the hub caps. What am I getting into? I suppose the AS version is expensive. Has anybody had any experience with this kind of a deal. I would appreciate your help.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Look at #18 and #19 on the site below under aluminum wheels. They both have a loading of at least 2800 lbs, are 6 bolt pattern on 5.5" circle and have ) offset.
www.trailertiresandwheels.net

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tire Pressure / temp sensors

Can anyone direct me to the thread for these?

Thanks,
Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iver
Can anyone direct me to the thread for these?

Thanks,
Iver
Do a forum search for PressurePro and there are 4 threads on units.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

South Lee , Massachusetts
Hey there john,

me too ! I work part time for a tow co. and they hauled in a 05 safari that had crashed on it's maiden voyage . Too bad for them . (no one hurt though ,good thing, ) anyhow I ended up with a frige that i needed and the power converter.
. now i am on the verge of getting three mags (no tires) and will have to buy another (obviously) but like you i am hoping to reep the benefits of a better looking and i suppose lighter rig ('73 sov.) intersted in anything you find out as well . AS company said I might expect to pay ballpark of three bills for the fourth ..
Tin Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
3 out of 4 ain't bad?!

At a rally this weekend one of the members showed up with three (3) brand new alloy type 'mags' on his trailer. The fourth wheel & tire are somewhere on the Texas highway system between Dallas & Perrin, it sheared off all 6 studs at the hub . There was also damage to the wheel-well, body-wrap, & a tear in the aluminum siding of the trailer. He said there was no indication of a problem until he was parking the trailer & noticed it missing! When he had the tire place (a major retailer) install the four new 'mags' they used the original lug nuts from the steel wheels. Make sure you use proper lug nuts when changing from steel to 'mags', & also retighten them after 50 miles of use any time a wheel has been changed.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
One problem I have always had with "Mag Wheels" really aluminum wheels, I actually saw a magniesium wheel back in the 60's; trivia. I find that cast wheels are very brittle and will shatter if hit hard enough.
The hubs will come apart real easy compaired to steel or billet rims.
Billet wheels won't shatter, but I it is really hard to justify the cost of them. Any thought on cast Mag Wheels?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Ron

1978 31' Sovereign
Battle Ground , Washington
mags

I bought a 78 last winter and it has three of the original 4 mag wheels on it. It looks like the previous owner had a blow out or wheel failure in Mexico (he replaced it with a used steel wheel and a tire made in Mexico). Had a little body damage, but you would have to look hard to notice it. I looked for the first six months for a replacement to the original mag and finally gave up. I am thinking about putting a new set of steel wheels on it for safety. They sell them at all of the major tire stores in our area for anywhere from $75 to $150 each. Might be a good investment if you are going to pull it around much.

1978 31 ft Soverign
herbigrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I don't know what size you need, but there are two pallets of wheel/tire combinations at the factory that they are letting go for $100 each - brand new. They are not quite MAG wheels, but they are aluminum and they are the style of the new Internationals. They are 14" with Goodyear tires.
Regular price is $250 each.
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED
At a rally this weekend one of the members showed up with three (3) brand new alloy type 'mags' on his trailer. ... He said there was no indication of a problem until he was parking the trailer & noticed it missing!
He must have been either asleep or numb. I towed my trailer about 15 miles on 3 wheels and there was a pronounced lean to the one-wheel side that just couldn't be ignored. Every time I looked in the rear view mirror or in my street-side towing mirror, there was the tilted trailer.

Since towing with one wheel removed is limited by the manual to 30 mph, he was darned lucky that he didn't blow the other tire on that side.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
One problem I have always had with "Mag Wheels" really aluminum wheels, I actually saw a magniesium wheel back in the 60's; trivia. I find that cast wheels are very brittle and will shatter if hit hard enough.
The hubs will come apart real easy compaired to steel or billet rims.
Billet wheels won't shatter, but I it is really hard to justify the cost of them. Any thought on cast Mag Wheels?
I think that alloy wheels have come a long way since the 60's. Mag ( magnesium) wheels are virtually non-existent by now, as they would burn up under certain circumstances. Modern alloys will not burn during a normal vehicle fire.
Cast alloys are very strong these days, especially with their hardened tapered steel inserts where the lug nuts meet the wheel. Their main advantage is weight savings over similarly rated steel wheels. The weight saving is substantial, btw. A lighter wheel/brake assembly will reduce unsprung weight and make a suspension work better, hands down. This is academic, of course, on solid axle vehicles, but does make a difference on independent suspensions etc.

Forged alloys are usually reserved for the higher end vehicle marked, where weight is further reduced, creating a need for thinner material. This material is then forged, to add strength and safety.

I own and have owned vehicles with both types of wheels, and have never had but positive experiences. I can tell you that since I do a lot of maintenance myself, the alloy wheels do save my back, as they are easier to r&r than steel wheels. Chicks dig them, too.

Applying this to an Airstream makes it a matter of personal choice, alloy or steel, providing that the choices are limited to a wheel of the proper size and weight rating. ( IMO)
Old 09-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Chicks dig them, too.
that's enough reason alone to put them on any vehicle!

i like steel wheels for the reasons stated above. when i got my silverado it came with stainless overlays on steel rims. look like chrome without the corrosion problems.

i think that they are the best comprimise between attracting the chicks and durability.

john
Old 09-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
......Chicks dig them, too.....
This chick digs any wheels in good repair that are paid for - and most especially digs wheels attached to new CCD with my name on the title.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
This chick digs any wheels in good repair that are paid for - and most especially digs wheels attached to new CCD with my name on the title.
Well, just like I thought...it's the alloys!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I picked up an original set of aluminum mags for my 71 Sovereign from a guy up in Washington State...$930, and that included the shipping...I think I got a good deal on them, considering they are polished and in pristine condition.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
New Airstream Mags-Cheap!

I have chased an outlet for Airstream mags for quite a while. About a uear ago, I found that SOUHWEST WHEEL in Dallas, TX has them and sell them for less than half what Airstream wants for them. These are the ALCOA forged wheels, the five spoke, six lug style, part number 57111, the same that comes on the brand new Airstreams.
Matter of fact, I ordered two and received them this past week.
Price per was $137.00
The hubcap was $12 each
Contact information is as follows:

I ordered the Airstream Alcoa Wheels wheels from:
SOUTHWEST WHEEL CO.
8740 JOHN W CARPENTER FREEWAY
DALLAS TX. 75247-4626

PHONE 214-631-4626
Darrick Sweden was the fellow that helped me.

steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote