Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
lug nuts / wheel remove

Have searched the topics....need advice, new to me (2nd year) last fall tried to remove wheels and clean repack w/brgs.....with out success as i could not get the lug nuts broke loose, would like to do this soon as we will be leaving on winter trip South in a few months, my fear is twisting off lug stud and finding the grease and bearings in good shape shooting myself in the foot.......secound a flat tire on the road would not be very much fun as my immpack wrench did not do the job....last resort is the 3/4 drive ratchet and socket which will surely break the stud if the nut does not let go....what do ya think, anyone else find this problem first time around....2005 safari..thanks a million
billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Use the bigest wrench available,if you are going to break lugs,it`s better to do it in your driveway,than along an Interstate in the rain.Then torque back to specfications.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Have you tried spraying down the lugs w/ PB Blast? Maybe apply heat with a blow torch...I can't believe a impact wouldn't move it. Frustrating I'm sure. Once you get it off be sure to put anti sieze on your lugs so it will be easier down the road. Good luck...
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I agree with easyride - Break it at home - not on the road. Remember - they are torqued down pretty heavy. I don't know about yours but 110 ft. lbs on my 71 Overlander.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

If your lugs are the same as our classic they have a chrome cover, you might try carefully cutting them off the effected lugs and apply a good penetrant oil, GM Heat Valve Lubricant is pretty good stuff. Just keep applying and be patient, work the nut both ways with a breaker bar. I have tapped the flats of the lug with a brass drift punch, the shock will sometimes break the rust bond, be careful.

Consider replacing the cheepie's with solid chromed aftermarket.

FNO...keep the studs clean and apply a little anti-sieze and torque to specs.

Good Luck...
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Torque....

The force (breaking torque if you will) required to remove the lug is typically greater than the installation force (torque). This is because of corrison and crud that creates a bond of some value as the joint remains in tact over time. As such it requires more effort to remove the said lug nuts/studs. If the lugs were installed by some un-trained yahoo with a impact wrench, there is no telling what installation force was used.

If you have aluminum wheels I would strongly suggest you avoid the use of heat, as most aluminum alloys do not respond well to heat. Unlike steel, aluminum does not show you any sign of overheating. It simply melts away in an instant.

Use a corrosion inhibitor such as PB Blaster, Kroil, or whatever suits your pallet. I would not get to aggressive with the spray since you are working in close proximity to the brakes. Give it a day before attacking the lugs again. You may need to use a cheater bar for more leverage, but as the others stated, if you're going to break some studs, it is better to do it at home instead of the middle of no where on a dark cold night.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Try this - Heat up the nut with a propane torch and apply candle wax to the exposed threads. The capillary action will wick the wax in between the lug and the nut breaking it free. This is the same principle as sweating copper pipes for plumbing. Good Luck!
Xstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you can also try a slight bit of tightening force to break it free. i bet you could change the studs in less time than trying to break them free.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's the "Bigger Wrench" thing...

When we had our shredding blowout, I discovered how firmly all the lug nuts were torqued and settled in.. I went to local hardware store and bought a 2' length of black iron pipe as a "wrench extender" that fits over end of 4-way lug wrench.. That provided enough leverage to loosen the nuts, which an impact wrench would not have done... The solvent is a good idea as well, but more leverage and steady pressure is key..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I agree with others who have said to go ahead and do what you have to to get these suckers off at home and not wait until you are stuck on the road.

Worst case, if you do have to replace studs, better to face that problem at home.

I'm not sure about the Airstream, but generally, studs that i have dealt with have just been a press fit into the hub (they have a spline) and you can quite easily drive them out with just a dumpy sledge.

I doubt that you will have problems with the studs though.

I would treat the lug nuts with some sort of penetrating oil for a few days, then go to Harbor Freight (or simiar) and buy a good long breaker bar - probably one to fit 3/4" sockets - they are not expensive. I'll bet that will bring them off!

I carry such a breaker bar with me on our travels!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have been known to stand on a long piece of pipe over the 3/4 breaker bar while someone pounded on the pipe to break loose (or more usually) twist of the stud to get a really rusted wheel off. Once you find the right replacement stud, it is easy to reinstall and properly torque the new one.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
We call it a " cheater". Get a long enough pipe on the end of your pull handle and apply enough pressure and something WILL move. Hopefully it will be the lug. Seriously, I work on tractors and equipment on my farm and I keep a long piece of pipe in the truck. Lots of rusty nuts and bolts need a little persuasion. Once you get if off, spray with a good lube and torque with a torque wrench.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
OR....
Pop the center cap, pull the cotter pin, spin off the nut and pull the wheel and hub as an assembly. You COULD repack the bearings, replace the seals and reassemble...
Of course you are just beggin' to have a flat...
"Hello AAA?"
"I need a GoodYear Marathon, rim and hub/brake/Brearings drum delivered to Mile Marker XXX"

I have done this just to get a trailer to the house but I know how bad my luck is so I didn't push it.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiards View Post
... i could not get the lug nuts broke loose...my fear is...
many reasonable suggestions to help get the nuts OFF...

BUT if they really are OVER TORQUED, i would replace them AND the studs NOW.

because very likely the THREADS have been stretched and the stud shafts are stressed.

i replaced 24 or 36 studs (and all of the nuts) last year after some1 OVER torqued 4 of 6 wheels...

the signs of stretched threading or a stressed stud are subtle...

but the consequences of NOT addressing the STUD once the NUTS are OFF is significant...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...uts-24644.html

and there are PICTURES n MORE of the story, in the july 22, 2006 bee-log entry here...

http://tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/2006/07/

not that i wanna feed your FEARS or anything...

but the info and LINKS in the linked thread above are useful.

for added reading and a little FIREY posting these are related threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...zed-28585.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...que-27616.html

cheers
2air'

i guess these are threads on threads...

but know your nuts and torq'em proper!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Inquiry minds want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiards View Post
Have searched the topics....need advice, new to me (2nd year) last fall tried to remove wheels and clean repack w/brgs.....with out success as i could not get the lug nuts broke loose, would like to do this soon as we will be leaving on winter trip South in a few months, my fear is twisting off lug stud and finding the grease and bearings in good shape shooting myself in the foot.......secound a flat tire on the road would not be very much fun as my immpack wrench did not do the job....last resort is the 3/4 drive ratchet and socket which will surely break the stud if the nut does not let go....what do ya think, anyone else find this problem first time around....2005 safari..thanks a million
Well did they loosen up,break off,or what ?
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Ya could pull the trailer to a "tire shop".
The air-impact could do it easily.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
rochester , Minnesota
thanks for all the help on my lug nuts ....well i sprayed them for a few days, worked them on/off, and did manage to get them all off, checked brakes, cleaned and repacked wheel bearings ( much larger than i anticipated)....after approx. 12,000 miles then looked fine very good in fact like new and the grease was also very good...feel better now in case of need to change tire, of course adj. brakes a bit, it will be many miles b=4 i clean/repack brgs. again.. thanks ...great forum.
billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Another one solved LOL

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Take it to the local tire shop and have them use a 6 point socket
with an air impact.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Geared Lug Wrench

Being a gadget freak AND a "Be Prepared" freak, I have one of these in my truck. So far I haven't needed to use it.
Geared Lug Nut Remover: Powerful 32:1 Lug Wrench Loosens Stubborn Lug Nuts
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote