Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy's OEM wheels gotta go!

After last weekend's flat tire on Lucy in Tennessee, I'm considering some major wheel/tire changes. I'm am looking for advice on these matters.

I am pretty fed-up with Lucy's OEM wheels. The valve stem on these wheels is very difficult to get at with either a gauge or an air supply chuck. The other night when I had the flat, the gas station's air chuck was of the straight on variety and was not able to be used with my wheels. I had to use my battery powered compressor to put some air in the tire to see where it was leaking.

I also plan to replace Lucy's Maxxis 10 plys after this recent failure. They have 22,000 miles on them and they have been trouble free up until now. My prior experience with the OEM Marathons was three blow-outs on one trip.

I am considering going to 16" wheels to have a better selection of high quality light truck tires in the E load range. On the recent tire failure, I had to purchase a Carlisle trailer 10 ply as it was all I could locate on a Sunday morning. The Maxxis are 225/75R15. If I go to 16's, could I downsize the tire height to 70's to stay close to the current overall size?

I'm not totally set on going to 16" wheels. I would consider staying with 15's if I can find a wheel that has an accessible valve stem. Then they is the matter of the junky trailer tires out there.

I would like to hear the pros and cons of the 15 vs 16 issue. I would also like to hear about sources for these wheels. We pull Lucy about 20,000 miles a year, so I'm looking for durablity.

I have included a couple of pictures of Lucy's OEM wheels so you will know which ones I am talking about.

Thank you for the help, Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3330.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	69306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3331.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	69307  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Could this be a matter of the type of valve stems that were used? As opposed to the wheel itself?

If you want to get rid of those wheels, please contact me. I might be interested in takin' 'em off yer hands.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Brian,

I am not opposed to the "new" rim idea - Desi has the old rim aluminum degradation issue that you have. Two things about the old rims -

one, you already own them and they are not a cheap item to buy. I have talked with local rim restoration shops and they have said they can restore then to new MUCh cheaper than buy-it-new ones. That's the shine and clearcote and all.

Now - two - the valve stems, there are angled truck high pressure valve stems that can cure your issue and make air fills much more easier.

Put the money into new high quality tires.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Brian,

You make a good argument for switching to 16" wheels just because of the selection of tires available.

If you want to stay with 15", look at the wheels that are on the Internationals. Here's a picture that partially shows what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stems.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	69320  
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I bought the Greenball 2000 wheels from Trailer Parts Superstore and have high pressure stems in them. I also have Maxxis D rated 15" tires mounted on them and have had no problem with valve stem access with straight air compressor fittings. While these are supposed to be the same wheels purchased by Airstream from a Chinese manufacturer, it almost looks like your valve stems are further toward the center of the tire than mine. Is it my imagination or what?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	greenballGBC2000 002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	69321   Click image for larger version

Name:	greenballGBC2000 003.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	69322  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have had the problem of accessing my valve stems with my digital tire pressure gauge so I bought one of the old fashioned angled pen styled tire gauge with the slide out register stick thingies (technical term there) and I also bought a right angle chucks to use with my compressor.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
An even cheaper solution is to get a set of 90 degree valve stem extensions. You could buy a whole box of them for less than the cost of one new aluminum wheel.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Haltec.com
Meyers Tire Supply
google tire valve hardware

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I've been doing some trailer tire research and have found information that is concerning me about tire replacement.

1. ST (trailer) tires are not designed to wear out.

2. The mileage expectation for ST tires is 5,0000 to 12,000 miles.

3. Replacement of ST tires is recommended after 4 to 5 years regardless of mileage.

4. ST tire polyester and steel cords are larger than those in passenger (P) and light truck (LT) tires to meet the additional load requirements of trailer service.

5. All ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

Considering all of these factors, I am now leaning toward changing over to load range E LT tires for several reasons.

1. I usually drive at 65 mph, but do often ease up to 70+.

2. We pull Lucy about 20,000 miles a year. This would have me replacing my ST's two or, possibly, three times a year. The OEM Marathons that I replaced last year after 3 tire failures had 16,000 miles on them.

3. Going to LT tires would save me a bunch of time and money in the long run.

4. As LT tires in the E load range are not available for 15" wheels, I would need to go to 16" wheels. This would also solve my wheel dilemma.

Now I'm looking for tire/wheel combos that would work for Lucy.

Am I on the right track? Will the switch to LT's be the answer? Are the LT's strong enough for the rigors of a tandem axle Airstream?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Hey Brian,
I too am considering switching to 16 inch rims. It is time for me to replace the old painted steel rims and hubcaps with nice shiney aluminum ones. Several members have made the change from 15" to 16". I think Lewster is one of them. Let's keep in touch about this issue-- I will try to do some research too and we can put our heads together.

Greg
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Greg, I will do that. Thanx.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Someone mention my name ??????????

!6" alloy rims from Trailer Tires and Wheels - trailer tires, boat trailer tires, trailer wheels, boat trailer wheels, aluminum trailer wheels and currently using BFG Commercial T/A LRE tires in 225/75-16 size. Over 20K miles on them without a problem!!!!!

When I replace them after 4 years (just my thing), I'll probably use Michelin XPS Rib in the same size and load rating, as I have these on my Sprinter van and feel that they are the best, smoothest riding tire I have ever had on the van (120K on it currently). YMMV
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Interesting comments. I find the 5k to 12k mile life expectation to be low. My last marathons were o4 vintage(canadian) and no problems or issues with 20k on them. I just replaced them with new 08 marathons and just did over 7k miles with fingers crossed. I have heard the new marathons(chinese) were a problem. In a nutshell this issue with st tires is pitiful indeed. I have said more than once if I had the problems some have written about I would go to a motor-home. So far however, my vote is for marathons and I guess I am lucky. Keep the air pressure up to par and hope they do not blow.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Hey Lewster,

How about a pic of your wheels and tires? I looked at the site you mentioned and they had only two styles in the 16", zero offset size. Do we really need zero offset?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

...Considering all of these factors, I am now leaning toward changing over to load range E LT tires for several reasons.
Am I on the right track? Will the switch to LT's be the answer? Are the LT's strong enough for the rigors of a tandem axle Airstream?

Brian
Would you get a better selection of 15" in a "D" rated tire????

The "D" rated tire is about 2540 # each rating

I gotta believe your Safari isn't rated for much over 7500 #'s GVWR. That would mean you can get by with an 1875 # tire. I believe that would be a "C" at 1880 for top coverage. A "D" would be more than enough. An "E" would not be needed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've been doing some trailer tire research and have found information that is concerning me about tire replacement.

5. All ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

Brian
I disagree with that, if you look a tire chart and the load per wheel that will tell you the pressure you need to go 65mph.

Now if you add 10 psi you can safely do 75mph and that is from the manufacturer.

Just get air valves with 90 degrees fittings, stay with the ST which have stiffer side walls than LTs

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Hi Brian,
It's Diane, the dingy blonde you helped with generators at balloon festival. When we were at Fiesta, I visited with Rich Luhr about tires and he had recommended the Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring kit. Quite a pricy item, but in my situation traveling alone, it could be well worth the money. So I ordered and I am now way over my head. The kit still sits on my floor while I ponder what I have learned since ordering.

I just had recall from Discount tire on valve stems. Learned I have low pressure stems on my 80 PSI tires. Now, if I replace with high pressure valve stems, I cannot even reach to check pressure much less add tire monitor. (this must explain why discount tire put on low pressure valve stems)

The very helpful person at Doran (Debbie) gave me a website source(can't find at the moment) that has 23 pages of various sizes of valve stems available. Wow....she said if I would remove hubcap and read on wheel the brand of wheel and numbers, the valve stem folks could tell me what stem to buy from the 23 pages. So after removing hubcaps which was no easy task for me, I had to hand wash rims because I couldn't see any brand name or numbers. Finally, I discovered very small numbers stamped in wheel "2160 lbs Max 60 PSI." Oh no, now I find my tires are too big for the wheels. Believe me, I understand your frustration with tires and wheels. Since I don't have deep pockets, I'm really at a loss at what to do. If I were in your shoes, I would order a box of longer and angled valve stems and the Doran system. I've read so much about tires over the last 15 years I've decided they are all a risk....that's why I wanted the Doran system. Like you, I sure would like any suggestion or advice that's out in the Airstream world. I think I like "streamin" better before I knew about tires, axles, wheels and so forth. Nowadays I'm just a worry wart on the hwg. Diane
diane bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums Diane.

I don't know anything in the least when it comes to tires. I have learned a lot from this forum, though and am learning more about tires. Fortunately I have found a service department and service rep that I really trust to work on my autos. That makes a real difference when it comes to laying out hard earned money for repairs that seems so expensive these days. Unfortunately, there isn't a trustworthy Airstream dealer in the whole state of Georgia. That's not to say there isn't a dealer in Georgia, it's just to say I have dealt with that dealer's service department before and will never again!

Anyway, I haven't got the warm fuzzies from my local tire shop when it comes to my Airstream tires. I don't think they see many travel trailers so I can empathize when it comes to confusion about what to do about the tire issues. I will be ready to replace mine next season so I'll have to start researching soon.

Good luck with your valve stems and tires...and BTW, I think the vintage Bambi's are the neatest little Airstreams!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I switched to 16 in wheels and Michelin LT 225 75 16 tires about 2 years ago.

The reasoning was
15 in trailer tires all went to China for manufacturing
Availability of replacements on the road.
Tire mileage life
No speed limitation

The wheels I bought were
Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #04 Size: 16 x 6HD Bolt Pattern: 8 x 6.5 Bore Size: 4.90 Load Rating: 3960 lbs @ 110 PSI Offset: -8mm

They were recommended for clearance on an Airstream with these tires with a -8mm offset. They are a 3900 lbs. wheel

Unfortunately the clear coat is starting to show signs of failure on the wheels as noted in thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/a...lem-45918.html

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Interesting offset

I just had some cord breaks in my China Marathons this weekend, thank god was spotted by a keen eyed fellow airstream'r....

So, I'm also watching this thread and thinking of moving to the 16' rims.

Interesting that some here on this thread have used 0 offset while others have used 8?

The clearance between wheel well and 16' rim and tire can be greatly affected by the offset I'm sure.

Now I wonder if the clearance will vary by trailer and the person who cut the wheel well on the Airstream line that day....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote