Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
I had this happen in 2008 in Minnesota en route to Alaska. Used a short handled sledge and punch, drove out the 6 broken studs. Took one to NAPA and they were able to match it. Drove the new studs into the hub, torqued the wheel a couple of times to stretch the lugs a bit and hit the road the next day. Stopped every 50 miles to check and tighten the first day then about every 150 miles each day of our trip. Enjoyed Alaska, driving about 10,000 miles with trailer in tow. No further problems.

Unless there is visual damage to the torsion axel can't believe it will take more than installing 6 new lugs to get back on the road. Then check the Torque frequently.

I have since bought a spare lug while at JC to have as a sample if need to replace in future.

Met an Airstreamer 2 summers ago in Iowa who had the same happen to him the day before.. Same fix as mine.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
On I-10, trailer swerved. Stopped and found our brand new SenDel wheel gone. New lug nuts appear to be sheared off. Luckily were able to limp half mile to Flying J in El Paso on 3 wheels. They are being helpful and think we may need a new axle. If so, any chance we will find a suitable one locally? There is a Camping World here. For our 2004 Classic, how do we find out what axle we need. Check the book? Call Airstream? I will search the forum too but thought someone out there might have advice. When our adventure is over, I will get my husband to post about the necessity of checking lug nuts frequently.
Were you able to find your wheel/tire after it came off. As others have said you should be able to replace the broken studs in the hub and I can't see any reason to replace the axle. The axle had nothing to do this issue.

Maybe someone can provide the correct replacement lugs for your trailer. You may also want to see if you can find a local mobile RV service operation. I would not let Camping World within a mile of an Airstream trailer. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...ud-106388.html

This link will answer the question as to the part needed
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #18
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
I pull campers out of Elkhart IN. When we pick up a new camper we have to torque lug nut and they use sendel wheels which we are required to torque to 120#. We have to torque when we pick up, 25 miles and at 50 miles and their are usually a few of the lug nut that have loosened up. If we don't torque and something happens we are liable for damages. 125# is right on the money
I stand corrected!! Glad you posted that
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
If they used a impact wrench to install the new rims I would say the lug nuts where put on to tight.
They could have used 700 ft lbs of torque to remove the lug nuts and than installed the lug nuts back with the same.
I have watched at the tire shop when they install the rims back on they use the impact wrench and then check with a with torqe wrench set on 100 ft lbs and it clicks on the first try.

My son had brought his wifes car over after it had been in the shop for a flat because they had installed the lug nuts so tight that my impact wrench would not break them loose. We had to use a lug nut wrench with a cheater and than even had to stand on it to break the lug nuts loose.

I may use an impact wrench to remove lug nuts but I always try to reinstall without one.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
We didn't go back and look for the wheel, nor do I know whether a torque wrench was used to install the new wheels.
It turns out the repair facility where we dropped the trailer is a separately owned truck and trailer repair shop, not part of the Flying J, and they seemed to know what they were doing. They thought we needed a new hub. Andy at Inland talked to us on the phone and suggested that might be what we needed as well, but it would have taken days to get here. The repair shop installed a used hub they say fits perfectly.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Oops..hit send before I was done. We also located a steel wheel of the right size and a matching Michelin at the local
Discount Tire which we will use to go home..then keep as the spare once we get a new Sendel wheel.
Before installing the new Sendels I read the various discussions on the forum about torque, and concluded then as now that there are differences of opinion. My husband told them to install at 125 because that was what the Sendel wheels recommended.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Airstream factory recommends the 125 foot pounds number on the SenDel wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SenDel wheel torque.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	204915  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
Oops..hit send before I was done. We also located a steel wheel of the right size and a matching Michelin at the local
Discount Tire which we will use to go home..then keep as the spare once we get a new Sendel wheel.
Before installing the new Sendels I read the various discussions on the forum about torque, and concluded then as now that there are differences of opinion. My husband told them to install at 125 because that was what the Sendel wheels recommended.
Hi, I think a lot of people miss this, and I did too for the longest time. My owner's manual states to torque my lug nuts to 110 to 120 lbs. [aluminum wheels] I always torque at the maximum. So I torque my lug nuts to 120 lbs. I have never yet used my spare, but my owner's manual states the steel wheel should only be torqued to 90 lbs.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote