Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Lost two wheels: why?

In the last month I have had two alum wheels come off. At first I tighten the lug nuts to 95 lbs no problem after many miles. Later tighten to 110 then had two wheels come off. Question is, did the studs fail or did the lug nuts come loose for some reason. All studs were broken off both times.

Thanks,

Silver 67

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67 View Post
In the last month I have had two alum wheels come off. At first I tighten the lug nuts to 95 lbs no problem after many miles. Later tighten to 110 then had two wheels come off. Question is, did the studs fail or did the lug nuts come loose for some reason. All studs were broken off both times.

Thanks,

Silver 67
If the studs were broken both times, then the most likely culprit was over-tightening, which puts too much strain on the studs. If I saw the broken ends of the studs I'd be able to tell better; different failure modes cause differently-shaped breaks.

For example… If you still have the broken studs, look at the ends. Do you see two different colors of metal at the break? If so, that indicates that the stud was already cracked before it broke; the old crack will be darker in color than the new break. If it's all the same color, that means the whole thing broke at once. But that's only an example, and not necessarily an explanation of what happened in your case.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Also check the cone end of the stud to make sure it is the proper shape for the wheels. Sometimes it does matter. Wheel lugs are not lubricated. Someone might have thought they were doing you a favor but Nooooooo. If you're not sure a good tire shop should be able to advise you. I visit Leavenworth frequently and they MUST have a reputable tire repair shop there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Thanks,

Silver 67
The 2 "top" reasons for those failures are (1) bad rubber rods in the axles, and (2) lack of proper running gear balance, or both.

If the axles are originals, there is your answer as the rubber rods are good for about 25 years of normal use. Yours are 46 years old, if original.

Parking a trailer for an extended period of time, that uses torsion axles, plays havoc with those rubber rods.

Rubber "must" be exercised to stay alive. If not, then those rods can solidify, causing considerable shock to the trailer and especially the wheels.

Hence, your answer.

Andy
Old 06-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Did you replace your axles/how old are they?
How long have you had this trailer?
This goes with the possibility of part of the break being older and part new.

Might be a good idea to replace the rest of the studs on your trailer.

As polarlyse said lug nut angle can cause problems if not correct, may be wrong if you switched from steel to aluminum rims and used the same lug nuts.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Also be sure to tighten in the proper sequence otherwise some will be overstressed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Make sure you are not bottoming out the stud inside lugs.

I think we need more info...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A detail failure analysis under a microscope of the broken studs by a qualified metallurgist will tell you why the studs failed. The studs that Airstream uses are quite hard but over tightening them can weaken them and lead to fatigue failures. I suspect that is what happened to you. I looked at a lot of them when I was the materials engineer for Outboard Marine Corporation.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Wheels coming off

I brought the axles about 5 years ago from Inland RV and I block the trailer up during the winter. The Alum. wheels are about 5 years old and the studs came with the wheels. At first I torked the wheels at 95 and had no problems than a guy who works on RV's said that I should tork them at 110 which I did. Then the wheels started coming off. On websites most of them say tork 1/2 studs from 95 to 120lbs so I am mystified on what the heck is going wrong. I have replace the studs and will go back to 95 lbs. and I guess hope the wheels stay on.

We are at the International Rally in Huron South Dakota right now and are to lead a caravan into Minn. on the 5th of July and hope the darn wheels stay on. Please advise.

Silver 67

silver

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated. The last one I bought was 20- 30Lbs. high brand new.....Phil.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #11

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Was it the two left side wheels? Remember in the late '60's when Chrysler used left handed lug nuts on the left side?....

Make sure nobody has greased the studs and nuts, pull them off one at a time, spray with brake cleaner...retorque

Also, if they are shouldered nuts, I had a problem that the shoulder was too long and the nut shoulder never touched the wheel, it bottomed the shoulder on the hub...tire and rim would launch off in under 5 miles
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
I brought the axles about 5 years ago from Inland RV and I block the trailer up during the winter. The Alum. wheels are about 5 years old and the studs came with the wheels. At first I torked the wheels at 95 and had no problems than a guy who works on RV's said that I should tork them at 110 which I did. Then the wheels started coming off. On websites most of them say tork 1/2 studs from 95 to 120lbs so I am mystified on what the heck is going wrong. I have replace the studs and will go back to 95 lbs. and I guess hope the wheels stay on.

We are at the International Rally in Huron South Dakota right now and are to lead a caravan into Minn. on the 5th of July and hope the darn wheels stay on. Please advise.

Silver 67

silver
Silver 67,

If you are replacing all the studs I would replace the nuts as soon as possible.

These Mcgard's have worked well with our Alcoa #157111 Alum wheels.

Clean dry threads are very important for proper torque.

Good Luck

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If they are lug-centric wheels, you should tighten them evenly to prevent side loading the studs.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote