Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Looking for wheels for my baby moons

I have all four of he original baby moons from my '64. But I need to find non-split rim wheels to put them on. Any suggestions?
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs
I have all four of he original baby moons from my '64. But I need to find non-split rim wheels to put them on. Any suggestions?
Definitely don't know. Just need to find the ones with the right tabs. I think there was something about it on RJ Dial's vintageairstream.com website. Can't find it at the moment though...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
^^^^Thanks.

I dropped a wheel and baby moon off at the tire shop I do business with so that they could try to find something that would work. I talked to them today and he said he ordered a "chrome smoothie" wheel that would be in next Tuesday that he was going to see if it would fit my baby moon. Anybody here tried that? Results? The only thing is he said they were $110 each (x four wheels). Seems like a lot of money to pay for a chrome wheel that I really don't want to be chrome. I found them on ebay in unfinished steel for $69 each if they will work. I have a feeling it's not going to be that easy.

As much as I would like to stay with the original appearance, my impatience is getting the best of me and I am just ready to get some wheels and get this thing home. I can find all kinds of wheels on ebay cheaper than $110 each. Including aluminum. Am I being too picky or is it worth the wait?

I also mentioned moving up to a 16" wheel (I found a set of Toyota takeoffs on Craigslist for $200 for the set) but he said the tires would be considerably higher.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
You can buy modern black powder-coated wheels and rivet on your own clips. Paint the wheels if you want another color. See this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...eel-48966.html

Clips:

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/...Retaining.html

Bill
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
You can buy modern black powder-coated wheels and rivet on your own clips. Paint the wheels if you want another color. See this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...eel-48966.html

Clips:

Chevs of the 40s: 3704844 39-53 - Chevrolet%20Clip -Hub Cap Retaining

Bill
Thanks for the links!!! I will definitely look into that. It seems pretty easy.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I have three original, non-split rims we removed from our '66 single axle Safari. PM me if you're interested in buying them.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I have three original, non-split rims we removed from our '66 single axle Safari. PM me if you're interested in buying them.
I bought these three wheels and am having a tube and tire put on one of my split rims so I can go ahead and get it home. I am still looking for one more non-split rim wheel to complete the set and I will use the split rim as a spare.

It was a pleasure doing business with Mimi and everything was just the way she described it. I feel like I got a good deal on the wheels and tires and had a great weekend spending time with the family in the Grapevine, TX area where I went to pick them up.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
I am still looking for one more non-split rim wheel to complete the set and I will use the split rim as a spare.
I would not use the split rim at all unless you are just parking the trailer. Few tire shops will accept splt rims for any work at all. As in you may get denied to even dis-mount and re-mount on a split rim. This may be acceptable when you are at home and know the tire shops that will accept this type of rim and know how to handle it. 500 to 1000 miles away from home on vacation is not the time you want to address an internet seach for the enarest tire shop that will accept a split rim for mounting a tire.

Vacation is never a good time to deal with unexpected repairs. Adding the complications of a split rim in that mix is a dissapointment and frustration that has not found a situation.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
The split rim is going to be used just to get the AS home. I am still searching for another wheel but would like to have it here to work on. Then it will just be a spare.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks, Jesse. Great doing business with you also. Sorry I could not be home to meet you when you came to get the wheels.

Have you tried any of the RV salvage places for more wheels? Lots of folks on the forums mention Colaw's. We Have Your Part…*|*Colaw RV Parts and Salvage

I've not done business with them, but it might be worth checking.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Thanks for the link. I will check them out.

I'm sorry to have missed you also. I was hoping to see your Airstream.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Smile AS wheels ,

Howdy guys and gals !
was reading about searches for original 15 inch 6 lug airstream wheels and remembered I have 6 of them that I use on an old tandem axel trailer that I have been toteing around for about 25 years. 5 of them came off my old 66 24 ft Airstream. I replaced them with some wheels off a 81 Toyota 4x4 pickup because I only had two of the original moon hubcaps.
"which I still have "
They would be much happier back on a nice old twinki trailer I think.
They are all in good shape and have all the tabs still on them. and they will all hold air when mounting tubeless tires on them . If someone needs them for there trailer, I could replace the hubs on the old trailers axles to fit 5x4.5 wheels that I have on hand . was thinking 300. for all 6 and throw in the 2 moon caps as well . Am in Bastrop Tx .
Have a great day !
Danny
send a message via this site if interested
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I don't have any use for six of them but may be interested in two if you would split them up. I need one to complete my set of four and could use an extra for the spare. I don't need the caps, so you would still have those to offer.

Shipping would be the only issue.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
I know UPS ships tires without being boxed up , wonder if they ship wheels with a shipping label stuck on them with tape ? if they do you could conntact UPS and have them picked up here . they would bring the shipping label with them . " I think " ?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
I know UPS ships tires without being boxed up , wonder if they ship wheels with a shipping label stuck on them with tape ? if they do you could conntact UPS and have them picked up here . they would bring the shipping label with them . " I think " ?

As long as the shipping label does not seperate from the package and the package has no sharp edges to cause cuts they don't care. If you are concerned about chips or scratches they would recommend some type of covering.

Action
Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #16

1964 19' Globetrotter
Collierville , Tennessee
Danny:

Do you still have the wheels and hubcaps? I have finally decided to get away from my split rims on my '64 and go with conventional rims. I am trying to make my original hubcaps (2 of them) match the wheel. If your rims are not splits and you have the hubcaps, I would be interested in them. Thanks! Craig
Boneydog1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneydog1225 View Post
Danny:

Do you still have the wheels and hubcaps? I have finally decided to get away from my split rims on my '64 and go with conventional rims. I am trying to make my original hubcaps (2 of them) match the wheel. If your rims are not splits and you have the hubcaps, I would be interested in them. Thanks! Craig

Sorry , I sold the trailer that those wheels and hubcaps were on over a year ago
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
You might try Coker tire ... They have vintage looking tires and wheels ... Be sure the wheels are rated for what you will need them for.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote