Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Jenaz, Switzerland , Graubunden
Question Looked everywhere! Question About Wheels For My 62 Safari.

I have looked everywhere and trawled the forums but still canno find what im looking for. Can I fit 8 inch wide 16 inch rims onto my 62 safari to replace the existing 15 inch wheels and tyres...had a close shave with a blowout already....anyone done this? On a similar model? Clearance etc etc...pictures?

Dont really want to buy the gear and see it not fitting...any useful suggestions?

Cheers

Up.
Uppla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Looked everywhere! Question About Wheels For My 62 Safari.

Greetings Uppla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppla View Post
I have looked everywhere and trawled the forums but still canno find what im looking for. Can I fit 8 inch wide 16 inch rims onto my 62 safari to replace the existing 15 inch wheels and tyres...had a close shave with a blowout already....anyone done this? On a similar model? Clearance etc etc...pictures?

Dont really want to buy the gear and see it not fitting...any useful suggestions?

Cheers

Up.
There are a number of variables involved, and with a Vintage coach careful measurements may be your best route to an answer. Vintage single axle Airstreams have something of a reputation for tight wheelwell clearances that can make fitting even 15" tire/wheel combinations challenging. Even on my '64 Overlander with tandem axles, the tires must be deflated for the wheel/tire assemblies to be worked into the wheelwells. Sixteen inch wheels with the same width and offset as your current 15" wheels would make the primary variables the increased height and any increase in width.

Another source of potential clearance issues is the condition of your coach's suspension. I believe that 1962 was the first year for the DuraTorque axles, and if your coach hasn't had a new axle installed your clearance may be impacted by an axle that has settled. Even if your coach has leaf springs, they can sag over time lessening clearance, but it typically isn't a great a problem as encountered with a well worn DuraTorque axle.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I wondered the same thing on my '61 Safari. So I tried it to see. While I was packing bearings and had a tire and wheel off I grabbed the spare from my Toyota pickup and put it on the trailer. My pickup has 16" wheels/tires and the same bolt pattern; 6 on 5 1/2". The LT245/75 R16 from my pickup fit quite well and was no trouble to install and had plenty of clearance in the wheel well, even though the offset is not the same. I do have a new Dexter axle on the Safari. I no longer carry a spare for the trailer because the pickup spare is always with me and will work in a pinch.
My suggestion is to try it to see for yourself. Perhaps your tire shop would be willing to do a test fit if you were serious about buying tires/wheels.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote