Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Let me try to scare you on split rims. I grew up in a garage in the '60s when they were common. You do the initial inflation w/wheel in a steel cage,clamp on air hose, w/split faceng a wall, and they did blow. often, with sometimes with fatil results. I personaly knew a fellow with one arm lost to a rim. A friend inflated one ring down on a concrete floor, figured it was safe. It blew, lifted him into the air, broke his arm. I was pumping gas in a little ton truck. A front rim blew just sitting there, missed me, broke a window in the shop 50 ft away. There's many more, I won't bore you. These rims are safe IF, they have a perfect ring edge and IF they have a perfect ring groove, and IF they are installed PERFECTLY. After this much time has passed the steel ring and groove are rusty and pitted, the steel is stressed. If you can find someone experianced to inspect them and they are sound there is another problem. Repair on the road, many shops won't touch them. Not enough yet? 35 yrs later I'm still carrying a shard of steel in a thigh, complements of one that blew IN A CAGE.!!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #16

Newbury Park , California
I have another kind of two piece rim. The ring is not split but is a removable ring.
It is on a '53 FC

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0107.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	78556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0108.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	78557  

Old 04-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thanks~!!

bobglass2
Just a trim to complement the "moon" which covered the lug nuts.
Fancy setup~!!

putback
That's a lesson worth sharing and, I thank you..
Thank Gawd, you're still alive~
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

Newbury Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
bobglass2
Just a trim to complement the "moon" which covered the lug nuts.
Fancy setup~!!

putback
That's a lesson worth sharing and, I thank you..
Thank Gawd, you're still alive~
Not decerative, it must be pried over the wheel after the bead is broken.

Bob
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Bobglass2, split rim- solid ring. Less common than the split rim-split ring. The old guys used to say they were safer. If you ever have them apart you may want to scrub down the inside of the ring with steel wool. Then check it close with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks. Besides cleaning, the strands of s/wool often catch in a crack, kinda catches your eye. The solid rings would set up and be more difficult to remove. Some took a serious hammer beating, a lot of it frustration and anger, hence the fine cracks, and chips. Those same hits often caught the rim and deformed the recieving groove. Problem is, like 53cloud said. That rim/ring with a baby moon is just about as pretty as you can get on an old A S ! If I could find a pair of good ones I'd use them. A little dbl pinstripe just outside the moon, sweet.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Let me try to scare you on split rims. I grew up in a garage in the '60s when they were common. You do the initial inflation w/wheel in a steel cage,clamp on air hose, w/split faceng a wall, and they did blow. often, with sometimes with fatil results. I personaly knew a fellow with one arm lost to a rim. A friend inflated one ring down on a concrete floor, figured it was safe. It blew, lifted him into the air, broke his arm. I was pumping gas in a little ton truck. A front rim blew just sitting there, missed me, broke a window in the shop 50 ft away. There's many more, I won't bore you. These rims are safe IF, they have a perfect ring edge and IF they have a perfect ring groove, and IF they are installed PERFECTLY. After this much time has passed the steel ring and groove are rusty and pitted, the steel is stressed. If you can find someone experianced to inspect them and they are sound there is another problem. Repair on the road, many shops won't touch them. Not enough yet? 35 yrs later I'm still carrying a shard of steel in a thigh, complements of one that blew IN A CAGE.!!!!
I had a friend in high school who was crippled by a split rim. On another occasion I saw first hand what a split rim can do to a human. The unlucky tire mechanic lived but he to was crippled for life. Listening to him scream as he lay in the middle of a concrete slab until help arrived is not something I will forget. If you have split rims toss them in the trash it will save you or someone else and keep you out of a lawsuit. Cages are used as are chains to work on the rims but not everyone has the equipment nor do they like the extra hassle it causes.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
They're Right!

53FlyingCloud and Putback are right---those things are dangerous. Thirty some years ago, in the Army I saw a cage that held a tire that had blown it's ring when a guy was inflating it. It just about ruined the cage and it was about 1/2" angle iron. Nobody hurt, but what an explosion. I still flinch when I am around a big rig with split rims.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
OB Bambi,
Thanks..
While it' kewl -n- nice to maintain the "original" look, it's not always safe..
That is so much more important~!
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote