Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
PS , Have worked with , used , driven , trucks and trailers since back in the sixtys and the only split rim I have ever seen or known of to come off the wheel after the initial inflating were on steering axles after the tire went flat or blew out. and no , I do not wish the small stuff still used split rims.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
split rims

I used to work at a tire store and change tires on split rims all the time,they are not that hard to do,and if you use a cage they are not dangerous.
Toyota still puts split rims on brand new trucks used in 3rd world countries by the UN and other areas where there are no tire shops.
With split rims you can change a tire by yourself on the side of the road or in the jungle.
Cigarettes and Guns kill more people daily than were ever killed by a split rim ; )

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Old mobile home trailer wheels were split rims, probably the same ones used on inter-modal container trailers. Some old split rims had the rim, then a rim held together by a series of clamps and bolts. Old school buses had them. When did the plural of "bus" become "buses" rather than "busses"? I know when I was in school in the 70's they taught "busses".
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Stay away from Split rims unless your going to change them yourself in the event you get a flat . I have a picture of a split rim and will try to send it . Split rims use tubes an flaps inside and are generally used on vehicles with 6 or 8 ply or more tires . If you run over a nail on the highway the tube type tire will go flat right away but a tubless tire will go a long ways with a nail in it usually . It doesn't seem that I can ad a picture but go to Google and google in Split rim tire . I have changed them from 13 inch to 24 inch and I know they come bigger . My advice is stay away from them and avoid a big headache .
Don
Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
15 inch Airstream trailer split rim wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splitrim.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	233182   Click image for larger version

Name:	splitrimclose.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	233183  

Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Split rim and tire installation

Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Steve, that's a nice video. I've wondered how it was done. I have renewed respect for my tire guy. And a healthy respect for my setup.

Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 26 002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	233191  
Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
?... When did the plural of "bus" become "buses" rather than "busses"? I know when I was in school in the 70's they taught "busses".
A "buss" is a kiss, generally on the cheek, thus the plural is busses.

A "bus" is a large vehicle for transporting people, the plural is buses.

Vivian, English major
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why the change in spelling of the plural of the large passenger vehicle? When did it occur? I know well when I was in school in 1975 we were taught "busses" for the plural of "bus". I have been curious about this for year's. Some sources at both "buses" and "busses" are acceptable. I am trying to think of other instances of doubling the "s" in the plural.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Year's should be years. I don't think I did that. I think it was "auto-type" or some such stupid feature of the iPad.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Why the change in spelling of the plural of the large passenger vehicle? When did it occur? I know well when I was in school in 1975 we were taught "busses" for the plural of "bus". I have been curious about this for year's. Some sources at both "buses" and "busses" are acceptable. I am trying to think of other instances of doubling the "s" in the plural.
I don't think there has been a change. My schooling goes farther back than yours--graduated from H.S. in '63--and I have always giggled at the airport signs directing drivers to lanes for "busses," the lane for kisses!! And I think this is the same spelling (busses only for kisses) in both American English and British English, so that wouldn't be the difference.

This distinction is observed in novels:

"She bussed him on both cheeks in the Continental fashion."

"In the sixties, I was bused to a school outside my neighborhood."

Sorry to hijack the thread for a spelling discussion!

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Year's should be years. I don't think I did that. I think it was "auto-type" or some such stupid feature of the iPad.
Yes indeedy--my iPad drives me crazy making gratuitous "corrections." I wish I could turn off the function.
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see "at" where I meant to say "say".
I have a really hard time typing on the iPad. Too big to type like I do on the phone, too small to type like a regular keyboard. The space is particularly hard to hit. There is no reference point to "feel" where your fingers are like a regular keyboard.
We may have been taught incorrectly, but we were taught the plural of "bus" as "busses" as well as the present tense verb form "bussing" and the past tense verb form "bussed". Honestly, I've never heard or read the word "buss" meaning "kiss". Why would we need another word for kiss? One would have to be an English major to know or understand our jacked up language. I think other languages are easier for English speaking people to learn and English is harder to learn for those who speak other languages. Other languages have hard, fast rules and are more uniform/standard. English is a hodge-podge of rules which have to be memorized. For example, in the Spanish language, the letters make the same sound in every usage. Each vowel has only one sound. The sound is pronounced the same way in every word. Other languages don't have all the silent letters. If it's silent, why write it? Other languages don't have words spelled the same, but pronounced differently- bass, "short" A for the fish and "long" A for the music note- Who decided it should short and long rather than hard and soft? Only English has words that are pronounced the same, but spelled differently. Home - long O, some - sounds like a short U. I think that English is so messed up because it is a mixture of other languages and still has spelling and pronunciation that goes back to "Old English" or " Middle English". Do other languages have an old, middle, and modern?
No wonder people are taught incorrectly or remember incorrectly what they were taught 40 years ago-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
MHony,
You are exactly right: English is a mixture of languages. Start with Anglo-Saxon (which is already a mixture of Angles [England] and Saxon [predecessor of German] around 900 AD), then beginning in 1066 AD, add a 400-yr rule of England by France which imported a HUGE number of French words, thus Fr pronunciations and spellings, into English by 1400 AD.

Anglo-Saxon had a nicely organized grammar similar to Latin, but 400 yrs of French rule broke the grammar into smithereens, so our grammar today reflects that brokenness. The irregular pronunciation and spelling that you complain of also result from that infusion of Fr into Anglo-Saxon (which is Old English, which is as a foreign language to today's English). You may think that Shakespeare's English is old, but it is actually the beginning of Modern English.

Spanish, French, and Italian are all more regular than English because they are "Romance" languages, meaning they came from Latin (Rome=Roman=Romance). Their "old" Sp, Fr, or Ital are actually Latin.

So there you have a brief history of English! You should take a course in the history sometime, it is fascinating, and you will be exclaiming a lot of "Ahas!" and hitting your forehead with the palm of your hand, as most of our irregularities begin to make a kind of perverted sense to you.

Cheers!

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...