Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the Good Suggestions!

Okay, I'm ready!

I found O Rielly Auto Parts rents bearing drivers that will fit my races. This will help drive the races to their shoulders.

I will freeze the races, and gently heat the hubs to 300F or so. Then acting quickly, I will drop the frozen race into the heated bore and tap it into place with the bearing driver.

Then new grease seals, a good packing job with a high temp EP wheel bearing grease for the cones, and back on the spindles they go.

David

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
The heating is way overkill.You will never see a pro do this.Since you will have the correct tool just drive the race in.You are over thinking this simple task

2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
The heating is way overkill.You will never see a pro do this.Since you will have the correct tool just drive the race in.You are over thinking this simple task
I agree.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When changing wheel bearing races, I generally use the old race as a driver. I just go around the O.D. of the old race with an angle grinder to reduce its diameter slightly so that it is a loose fit in the bore of the hub and won't get stuck.

Sometimes I will tack weld a piece of steel across the old bearing to assist in tapping the new race in with it.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I agree.
Sorry guess I been do'n it rong for all these years.....

From Timken directly.

mounting
See the General Bearing Handling and Inspection Section for more information about mounting bearings, including methods to heat bearings or press them on/in using an arbor press.
When heating tapered roller bearings, inner ring temperatures should not exceed 120°C (250°F) for Standard Class bearings and 66°C (150°F) for Precision Class bearings. Higher temperatures can change the bearing’s hardness and geometry.

Whenever inner or outer rings are heated or cooled during assembly, after mounting and returning to room temperature they should be checked with a 0.001 in. - 0.002 in. feeler gage. This ensures that the inner ring is pressed tightly against the shaft shoulder (Fig. 23) or the outer ring is pressed tightly against the housing shoulder. Before checking, ensure that both the inner and outer rings are pressed tightly against the shaft or housing shoulder.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I have experience with tapered roller bearings too. We would heat the cones to 250 and shrink fit them to the shafts. And we would press the cups into our housings. Trailer wheel bearings don't have as much load on them as transmission bearings, but they are still precisioin ground pieces where surface finishes and metallurgy are very important to avoid premature failure.

The ideas presented here are good. The O'Rielly drivers work good. And freezing the cups and heating the hub a bit made the job easier. I got them down to the shoulder with out damaging the cups.

Thanks for all your help.

David