Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
How to remove, repack, and replace bearing?

Great info on this thread! Thanks so much.

However, I'm looking for the thread that gives a very detailed explanation of how to remove, repack, and replace all the bearings and seals. I believe that thread was complete with pics. I'll keep looking.

Can I purchase new bearings & seals from somewhere around the Dallas-Fort Worth area, or will I need to wait on the parts guru in California again? Any insight?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Moved from a different thread. He is looking for support.

>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The bearings and seals on ours are common and easy to get in an auto parts store. The problem is knowing what the numbers are. You can call Airstream, look on their website, or call a dealer to find out. When I had a bearing failure on the road, the nearest parts store had no idea how to find out the right numbers, so that's when I called Airstream. Once I got the right numbers, I had the parts the next morning.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Thanks, Gene. I'm guessing Airstream would have the exact numbers for my 75 Argo, even if it's 35 years old...right?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
I'm guessing Airstream would have the exact numbers for my 75 Argo, even if it's 35 years old...right?
Maybe. If you call the service center, you may have to leave a message as the phone is always busy. Customer service is easier to get through to, but they may not have the information. You can send an e-mail to them. Also check the website.

But, if the running gear has been changed in the past 35 years, the specs may be different. A slightly different hub can require different bearings and seals. Newer axles may have come with different specs. Then you will have to do some more investigating to match bearings and seals.

Gene
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My old bearings and seals were Timken brand and had the numbers right on the side in easy to read print. Auto parts store had exact OEM bearings and seals right on the shelf.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
My old bearings and seals were Timken brand and had the numbers right on the side in easy to read print.
That's much too easy.

Gene
Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Waiting on Airstream Callback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The bearings and seals on ours are common and easy to get in an auto parts store. The problem is knowing what the numbers are. You can call Airstream, look on their website, or call a dealer to find out. When I had a bearing failure on the road, the nearest parts store had no idea how to find out the right numbers, so that's when I called Airstream. Once I got the right numbers, I had the parts the next morning.

Gene
Gene, I followed your lead. My local AS dealer wasn't much help on my older model. Said I needed to bring it in for $500. HA! Next, I called Airstream in Ohio 937-596-6111 to ask for correct numbers. Waiting to hear back from them.

Another post mentioned the possibility of these bearings being different from original if I've ever had the axles replaced. Well, I have the original axles (which, contrary to popular belief) are STILL in good shape and show no signs of stiffening. So, I'm expecting AS numbers to match without any problems.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Timken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
My old bearings and seals were Timken brand and had the numbers right on the side in easy to read print. Auto parts store had exact OEM bearings and seals right on the shelf.
I was hoping to have replacements lined up BEFORE taking them off just in case it would leave my trailer inoperable too long. The AS dealer here said I would need to take off my seals and bearings, take them to NAPA for sizing, then hope they had them in stock. If not, the Argo would remain on the stands. Yuck!

I think the only way I can be sure Timkens will work is if I have an AS number(s) I can cross reference. Still waiting to hear from AS. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
I was hoping to have replacements lined up BEFORE taking them off just in case it would leave my trailer inoperable too long. The AS dealer here said I would need to take off my seals and bearings, take them to NAPA for sizing, then hope they had them in stock. If not, the Argo would remain on the stands. Yuck!

I think the only way I can be sure Timkens will work is if I have an AS number(s) I can cross reference. Still waiting to hear from AS. Thanks!
Some Argosy trailer records, are not very clear.

For the 10 inch Argosy trailer brakes, the bearings are L68149 and L44649.

The grease seal number is 58846.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Take one set off, go to NAPA or Carquest. If they don't have them in stock, most stores can get them the next day. Be sure to take both inner and outer races on both outside and inside bearings as well as the seal. Are you sure the ones you have are bad? Perhaps you can just repack them, but you will need a new seal for each one, no matter what.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Type " How to repack wheel bearings" into Google. There are many videos and much info on this subject.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Andy, thanks for those numbers. Can I take those to a local automotive shop and expect them to cross reference them? I've never had the drums off to check the size of brake shoes, but I'll inspect those, too, when I repack the bearings. I'm guessing Inland has everything I need if I can't find them (seals, bearings, etc.) at a local store, right?

Twinkie, I don't think any of my bearings are "bad", but I'm trying to prepare for what I might discover when I disassemble them. I will definitely replace the seals after cleaning and repacking. Thanks for chiming in with the rest who have come to my rescue!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Mind Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Type " How to repack wheel bearings" into Google. There are many videos and much info on this subject.
Wow! You must have read my mind, Twinkie! I just watched a couple on You Tube, but it made me wonder if my Argo setup was much different. Probably not. Thanks so much!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Here are some threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...eam-39426.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...ing-58502.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ngs-16440.html

Gene
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Gene, that's exactly what I've been searching for! Great help to me! Thanks a bunch.