Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
How to Pack Bearings and check brakes?

Hey guys. I wanted to get some advice on doing some exterior maintenance now that my interior is about done. First things on my checklist are to check/pack the bearings and check/replace the brakes...

I don't currently have a heavy duty jack and plan to get a 3-ton. That should be sufficient for my 76 22' Argosy, I believe. I also plan to get 4 jack stands. Will this be all I need to get the trailer safely off the ground to check and repair these items?

What do I need to look for when checking/repacking the bearings? How about the brakes? I did some research through the forums but did not find specific info. Next I am heading over to Youtube... Any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks!!!

Chris
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Well you don't really need that big of a jack. You might want to lift one side at time, work on one side put it back and then the other.

When it comes down to the brakes, backing plates are the way to go. Inland RV , Outdoors mart both should have them. Backing plates are usually 4 bolts and 2 wires. And everything is new. Really the way to go.

the bearings, it's the same as any other bearings.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
As Silverflames said if you buy the new brake assembly it is the way to go . i did this a couple years ago drums and all. you will also get new bearings and seals .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Thanks guys. New backing plates it is. Just checked inland rv's site and they are having a sale. I am going to head over there this weekend...

Watched a few videos on YouTube videos and it seems straight forward enough to do the replacement.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I agree the folks above. One doesn't need to lift and support the entire trailer at once.

Just work one side at a time.

The backing plates they refer to are actually the complete braking assembly on it's mounting plate. This includes new brake shoes, actuators, and magnets.

These plates are simply bolted onto mounting tabs on the axle, so one does not have to mess with springs and linkages. Just remove the 4 bolts, cut the electrical wires, and then replace.

It means a completely new brake package.

As for the bearings, if one has ever packed a wheel bearing, you have seen these too. A cotter key, castle nut and the drum is off. Clean and inspect the bearing, replace the seal and back they go.

Best regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A fun job. A bit messy so don't forget the rubber gloves and double them up. They make bearing packing devices that work well but no better than doing it by hand. Make sure you get the better seals. Double lip with a spring inside to help keep them snug. I have the part #s for my seals and bearings but not sure if they are the same for you. If your bearings are good and just need re-packing go for it. If you need to replace them don't forget to get the races for them too. Sometimes they come as a set and sometimes separately. I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic grease and it's available most anywhere but any good wheel bearing grease will do nicely.

Good luck. This is a great do-it-yourselfer job.
OH, and get some good water proof electric butt connectors to re-connect your brake wires when done. Unless you feel like soldering them. Don't tighten the bearing nuts too much. This is critical so beware. I check my wheels often while traveling. Warm to the touch is normal and good. Too hot to touch means something is amiss.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How to Pack Bearings and check brakes?

Greetings crabbey1!

The two suggestions that I might add to what has already been posted are:

Prior to reassembling your brakes, have the drums turned as well as having your shoes machined to match the drums. This was recommended by the shop that overhauled the brakes on my Overlander and it made a remarkable difference in the smoothness of the brake operation.
You don't absolutely have to jack up your Argosy to handle this operation. Sincer your Argosy 22 is a tandem axle trailer, you can pull one wheel up onto a series of leveling blocks to raise the wheel next to the one on blocks . . . just be sure to block the opposite wheels and be sure that the tow vehicle's parking brake is set for safety.
Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Old School.....method.

The part numbers are on the bearing/race. Needed for seals and replacement bearing set.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09174.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	200561  
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
When repacking berings it's always recommended to replace the seal each time - cheep and good insurance since a little contaminate will ruin a bearing fast.

When putting back the nut: tighten firmly, than back off 1/4 turn at most to hole for cotter pin. Some recommended backing off to next hole.

Must adjust brakes after work - and within 300 miles - than every 3000. Tighten up 'sprocket' inside drum (bottom back) till wheel locks up, than back off till brake still 'drags' a bit.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Buy the self adjusting brakes if you want to keep from having to adjust them every 3000 miles. They work great!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
I am working on my running gear as well. Has anyone seen a badly grooved drum on the inside face. IE, not where the shoes contact, but where the magnet makes contact. The rest of the drum looks good, but the old magnets have grooved the inside face of the drum pretty bad. Can they be turned?? Does it matter?
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
I am working on my running gear as well. Has anyone seen a badly grooved drum on the inside face. IE, not where the shoes contact, but where the magnet makes contact. The rest of the drum looks good, but the old magnets have grooved the inside face of the drum pretty bad. Can they be turned?? Does it matter?
Pawpaw would replace. You have too much worth protecting.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Pawpaw would replace. You have too much worth protecting.
Gotcha......modify parts order. Check.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I highly recommend a new set of Dexter self adjusting brakes. Buy the entire assembly drum and all. It then becomes a simple remove and replace operation. The brakes will adjust themselves each time they are applied when going forward. Then it is a simple matter of keeping an eye on how they operate as you tow, and repacking the bearings once a year which will also give an up close look at the brake system.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Yes they matter.
Yes the magnet contact area can be resurfaced if the grooves are not too deep. Most of the time it is less expensive to just replace the hub/drum assy and add a new set of bearings. It also sounds like you'll need new magnets. You are starting to get to a point where it may make more sense ($ and time) to replace the axles.
You can read a few axle threads here and get an idea what you are getting yourself into. You've come to the right place for assistance, for sure!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks for the welcome Top.

Trying to get the trailer towable since we are about four hours from where she currently resides.

I was considering complete axle, brake, drum bearing sest for her. But checking the trailer out this weekend, looks like the axles are in decent shape. They are not solidified and still have decent travel. Wheels look good. Tires and brakes are shot.

I figure about 2 years worth of renovations/upgrades, so I will probably replace the axles prior to any real travel plans since they are 30 yrs old. Just trying to get it home.

Looks like only one of the four drums is in real bad shape.
Question, if the grooved drum is unable to be turned, would you risk a one time/four hour drive just to get her home? (assuming new brake assemblies and tires)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Drive her home...

My experience with our 63 Safari....moderate grooving, 1/16" +- deep.

The brakes worked work fine, the worn magnet plate wore the magnet face to match. I just smoothed the surface with a die grinder as best I could.
In 15 seasons I changed the magnets 3 times when brakes serviced.

Bob
Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Thanks for all the feedback! Gotta love these forums and the experienced advice.

I figured I could get home with some grooving, but I've decided to quit pinching pennies on my first purchase. So new drums it is.
I found some drums locally, complete with new bearing kits. I am going to go ahead and buy them along with new backing plate assemblies and go get the old girl!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Dexters?

Can anyone verify that these are Dexter drums?
Its a 6 bolt pattern, 5 1/2" spacing (12" brakes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	201081  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Looks the same, but if you are getting all new drums and backing plates, the brand you are replacing is irrelevant. The dimensions for 12"x2" drums are to an industry standard.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote