Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #99
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

We had our tires inflated with Nitrogen. which should help with heat issues, I used the Michelin inflation charts to have mine inflated to 75PSI currently which is 8880lbs load rating on dual axle. I know a few running lower. I figure, once we are ready to hit the road, our full time load up is in both truck and Airstream, I will hit the scales a final time and adjust tire pressure down.

I attached the PDF here for everyone else also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from MICHELINTruckDataBook_Jan2011-2.pdf (49.5 KB, 55 views)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Movement turns on the Dill senders.

See if this idea works.

Before mounting the tire, see if the installer can spin just the wheel with the Dill sender installed on the wheel balancer and power up the Dill receiver with all the receiver plugs in place. With the wheel spinning, I think the one that blinks would be the one moving. If this works, repeat for the other wheels.

What a real PIA.

A two second application of a tape with a letter on matching components is so no brainer.

Note that the Dill TPMS sender is the valve stem for the tire.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Maybe it is just an age thing or a demographic oddity but when I was young, if someone used the term "Rims" it was a sign that they were a non-mechanical moron who knew very little about vehicles.

All good mechanics used the proper term "wheels". To this day it bothers me when someone says "Rims" instead of "Wheels".
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #102
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Maybe it is just an age thing or a demographic oddity but when I was young, if someone used the term "Rims" it was a sign that they were a non-mechanical moron who knew very little about vehicles.

All good mechanics used the proper term "wheels". To this day it bothers me when someone says "Rims" instead of "Wheels".
Thanks for the insult your highness.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I'm Sorry, Bold Adventure. I didn't mean for it to come off as an insult to you but I guess I could see how it could be taken that way. It was poor wording on my part and I am sorry if I offended you in any way.

I think this is more of a times have changed sort of thing because on these boards most everyone uses the term "Rims" instead of "Wheels".

My father was a mechanic and he would scoff at me if I used the term "Rims" in the 1960's. So I meant to comment just to see if anyone else was irritated by the constant calling of wheels. "Rims".
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #104
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Ok then.

They are used interchangeably for as long as I've been in the car scene. But,

A "rim" is:

Quote:
2 a : the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes b : a removable outer metal band on an automobile wheel to which the tire is attached

2 a : the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes: Actually when I read this, "Rim" applys, it does attach to the hub via lug nuts and studs. "wheels" mostly do not have their own hub.

Rims where on cars and trucks....in the early 1900's. The hubs (now that will really confuse you) were left on the car or truck and all you changed was the outer rim and the tire....this continued on trucks clear into the 80's and is still the case in some OTR applications.

I'd say the reality is, rim vs wheel is no different than gay meaning something totally different 50 years ago. Terms change as more folks use them and I'd argue marketing has helped shift that, as "Rims" as a word is also heavily used in marketing materials too by manufactures. It's just a product of a cultural whose language is every evolving.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #105
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Having worked my way through school in the 60's pumping gas and doing mechanical work, including fixing a lot of flats, the operative terms I was taught:
Rim == the metal within the rubber.
Tire == what sits on the Rim
Wheel == the combination.

I remember being "corrected" by the shop owner - Georges Sinclair Station in Portage, MI, when I call them as you suggest. :-)

Quote:

Old 02-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Ok then.

They are used interchangeably for as long as I've been in the car scene. But,

A "rim" is:

2 a : the outer part of a wheel joined to the hub usually by spokes: Actually when I read this, "Rim" applys, it does attach to the hub via lug nuts and studs. "wheels" mostly do not have their own hub.

Rims where on cars and trucks....in the early 1900's. The hubs (now that will really confuse you) were left on the car or truck and all you changed was the outer rim and the tire....this continued on trucks clear into the 80's and is still the case in some OTR applications.

I'd say the reality is, rim vs wheel is no different than gay meaning something totally different 50 years ago. Terms change as more folks use them and I'd argue marketing has helped shift that, as "Rims" as a word is also heavily used in marketing materials too by manufactures. It's just a product of a cultural whose language is every evolving.

Well this agrees with what I was taught.

The rim is the outer part of the wheel on which the tire is mounted.
The wheel is the entire element including rims and spokes which mounts to the hub.
These used to be separate things in the early 1900s but now they are all incorporated into the wheel.
Almost all dealers that sell wheels, car parts dealers, etc, refer to them officially as wheels.
The only time I hear the term "rim" when referring to the entire wheel are by consumers.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #107
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Almost all dealers that sell wheels, car parts dealers, etc, refer to them officially as wheels.
The only time I hear the term "rim" when referring to the entire wheel are by consumers.
Being in web, I did a quick search, oddly enough first results show Tires, Wheels & Rims.

If you click on Rims & Tires for tire rack, the page is still wheels. I'd argue that the industry isn't doing much to educate the public, but it's probably a moot point by now as both terms are cemented, the later especially with my generation; since I feel like I'm the only one my age who opens up a dictionary when someone older says something.

Interesting discussion fellows.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Being in web, I did a quick search, oddly enough first results show Tires, Wheels & Rims.

If you click on Rims & Tires for tire rack, the page is still wheels. I'd argue that the industry isn't doing much to educate the public, but it's probably a moot point by now as both terms are cemented, the later especially with my generation; since I feel like I'm the only one my age who opens up a dictionary when someone older says something.

Interesting discussion fellows.
Agreed, let's all blame industry for language confusion created by verbiage used for the sole purpose of making a buck!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #109
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Tire+rim=wheel

Read about it here-
Barrystiretech.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Tire+rim=wheel

Read about it here-
Barrystiretech.com
Well I quickly scanned the website you referenced but could't find anywhere where the wheel was defined as the tire + rim.

Oddly enough, I did click on the link to Tire Racks Tech Page http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

and I found this reference to tire & wheel manuals. So obviously Tire Rack thinks tires and wheels are something different.

I checked my Ford owner's manual and "Rims" was not to be found. I only found reference to "wheels" as in 20" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.png
Views:	45
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	233139  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #111
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Checking furiously to see whether anybody really cares.

Nope!

I love your new rims / wheels / tires, Bold. Great job.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #112
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

Within the tire industry, the word tire means the rubber part, the metal part that the tire sits on is almost universally called the rim. Rims can come in 2 varieties - a simple hoop shape, or the entire package that is attached to the hub - what lots of folks call a wheel.

The reason why the tire industry uses the word rim instead of wheel is that from the tire's perspective, the only important thing is what the tire interacts with. Its usage is also historic in nature having over 100 years of usage.

So folks need to be aware that the term rim is in very common usage and they need to be aware that its usage isn't going to change. People also need to be aware that these 3 terms are frequently used in different - and sometimes contradictory - ways.

It is what it is.