Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #161
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Rocinante now has her new size 16" shoes, looking great. Thanks again.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #162
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

1 Plus Year on Michelins

No Blow Out's, thousands of miles and NO SPARE TIRE.

Theory confirmed. This is one of the best investments for your Airstream. End of debate.

Cheers.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:48 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Pleased with the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted on SenDel T03-56545T wheels on the 2015 23D International Serenity since July 2015 and the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires mounted on SenDel T03-66655T wheels on the 2014 Classic since January 2014.

The 23D Michelin tires and SenDel wheels wheels were brought by me to and installed on the the trailer at the dealers lot before I even hooked to the Mercedes. It had been trailered to the dealership from the factory along with another 23D.

The Classic was towed from the factory and were run way over 65 mph by the hot shotter due to the elapsed time (I knew the time when he left Jackson Center and I was there 15 minutes after he arrived at the dealer) based upon my experience driving the same route over a dozen times in the last few years. So I towed it about 15 miles from the dealer to the storage unit to switch to the Michelin tires and SenDel wheels as I could not trust the dealer to do the job correctly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #164
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Two years, no blow-outs. Knock on wood. Michelins hold air.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Two years, no blow-outs. Knock on wood. Michelins hold air.

Ditto
Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #166
Dreaming in Wally's World

2007 27' Classic FB
Blanco , Texas
Sawtooth Rims - Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Sawtooth Rims, wanted to be different from everyone else.

Also ordered my Centramatics, so hopefully next week I'll be installing these.
Considering our options. Have you been happy with these? Like the look. Thanks!
Heritagechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #167

1970 25' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
How much did 4 rims cost
chestnut1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I’ve read through this thread and a few others but am still not quite sure why people are upgrading to 16” wheels.

A few years ago it was because better tires were only available in the 16” size. There are a few posts that state the owners are upgrading to gain, if I recall correctly, 1/2-3/4” more ground clearance. But other posts suggest that these days good tires are available in the 15” size.

I ask because apparently moving from 15” to 16” wheels is apparently one of the few things the factory will do for my trailer (which is on order). The trailer will come with Good Year Endurance tires in either case. And I’m having a lift kit installed at the dealer upon delivery.

Given that there seems to be a wider selection of 15” tires these days and that I’ll already be getting clearance from the lift kit, it didn’t seem to me that moving to 16” wheels was neither necessary nor desirable (I passed on the option). But if I’m ever going to make that switch I’d rather do it now than later.

Are there reasons I’m not getting for larger wheels?
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #169
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
I’ve read through this thread and a few others but am still not quite sure why people are upgrading to 16” wheels.

A few years ago it was because better tires were only available in the 16” size. There are a few posts that state the owners are upgrading to gain, if I recall correctly, 1/2-3/4” more ground clearance. But other posts suggest that these days good tires are available in the 15” size.

I ask because apparently moving from 15” to 16” wheels is apparently one of the few things the factory will do for my trailer (which is on order). The trailer will come with Good Year Endurance tires in either case. And I’m having a lift kit installed at the dealer upon delivery.

Given that there seems to be a wider selection of 15” tires these days and that I’ll already be getting clearance from the lift kit, it didn’t seem to me that moving to 16” wheels was neither necessary nor desirable (I passed on the option). But if I’m ever going to make that switch I’d rather do it now than later.

You seem to have it. Do you mind me asking how much the factory charges for the lift kit and install?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
My dealer is doing the lift kit and install, (and installation of a few other things I want to start off with) not the factory.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #171
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post

The biggest reason is because of load carrying capacity. A 16" will have more.

That means that you can have more *reserve* capacity - which is a good thing - tires less prone to failure - OR - use a lower pressure to soften the ride inside the trailer - or both!

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Narayan... if you see my post from over two years ago re: my Serenity 30RB, you will note that I was able to run much lower tire pressures, thus, far fewer interior rivets popping. Lost maybe four in nearly four years.

Also, all the contents of the trailer seemed to ride more comfortably. Fewer clothes off the rods, pillows stayed on furniture, never had any glass breakage.

Firestone actually said I could run pressures as low as 49 psi with the measured loads I carried on each wheel.

One possible drawback, not scientifically proved but strongly suspected. The fuel consumption with lower pressures was maybe 10% more. This is comparing the OEM 15" wheels/tires at 65 psi with the 16" at 54 psi.

Oh, yes, I think they looked much better as well.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #173
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Msmoto, thanks. I'll still probably go with the 15" wheels unless...

Does anyone know whether the payload sticker will change at the factory if you order a trailer with larger tires? It does if you make similar changes to a pickup truck (as I found out while placing an order for a truck).

I suspect I'll have to call Airstream for this info directly but perhaps someone here has some experience with that. If I can get additional payload, it would be worth it to me (since I travel with my family).

**update**--I called Airstream. They aren't doing wheel size upgrades anymore (I guess existing arrangements are being honored). When they do the upgrades, though, it does affect the sticker but only for tires, not for overall payload (which is based mostly on axle ratings). So there you go. I'll stick with the 15s.