Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Greenball 15" alloys?

I'm looking at new wheels and tires for my very recently acquired '61 Overlander. Steel rims with Goodyear 225/75 R15 LRD tires are option #1; however the speed rating leaves me concerned which is not what I'd like. (65mph).

I found some pleasant looking wheels (6 lug) and wondered if anyone had knowledge of them with regard to Airstream usage? 15 inch GBC 2000 6 Bolt Aluminum Trailer Wheel also Greenball: TRAILER WHEELS - ALUMINUM GBC2000 They would run another $200 total over steel which seems a worthwhile upgrade. I guess a little more when lug nuts are added on.

With regard to the tires are Maxxis (sp) the only trailer specific tires in 225/75 15 Load range D that are rated above the 65 mph that limits the Marathons?
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi trucks...

it is commonly mis-referenced here that the marathons are speed rated to 65mph.

this isn't correct, they are load rated/tested at 65 mph....this is a distinct difference from a traditional 'speed rating'...

even the goodyear website for marathons covers what to do when 'towing at 65-75 mph' with marathons....

we've covered this issue dozens of times already, so search some and find the info and links....

ALL ST tires carry the same designations, of load testing at 65 mph.

greenballs are no different than marathons (some are even made by goodyear)

maxxis is different because of a nylon cap layer...

regardless of which tire u chose, IF you plan to tow fast, they must be inflated to higher pressures.

so using a tire rated higher or that is stiffer may have negative consequences on your '61, which came with bias ply tires.

bias tires are still available, but i sure won't choose them for towing in heat, at speed or for longer distances...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've run across that rim while researching aluminum wheels. They are sharp looking. I am still undecided as to what rim style I will go with. I haven't made the final decision whether to go with 15" rims or make the jump to 16" which I am favoring. I have one new Maxxis tire with less than 1000 miles on it purchased last October to replace a blowout. Wheel size will all depend on whether the Centramatic balancers will fit the 15" or not. I do not favor any spacers between the drum and wheel should it be needed. I'll be talking with the Centramatic folks closer to April about this.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
we've covered this issue dozens of times already, so search some and find the info and links....
2air,

Why do you rudely continue to point this out. Keep in mind that the "We" you speak of does not include newer members. Some people prefer to discuss issues rather than just read through the archives. As far as I know there is no prohibition regarding discussing a topic that has been addressed before. If you prefer to not re-discuss an issue then I would suggest leaving yourself out of the conversation.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
2air, interesting information. I thought I'd searched the topic to death but I must have missed that the salient point. Sounds like the Marathons are back in the running. Just need to decide on those rims now.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
..read through the archives.
bc

there is NOT 1 keystroke of rudeness (expressed or implied) in this thread except yours.

this thread is IN the wheel sectiion, not tires, but the o.p. may find it useful to look over the tire threads too...

the VALUE of searching is that MANY of the best, complete and detailed answers on COMMON topics are already written.

along with LONG heated arguements on some topics.

so those looking for answers may find dozens of useful replies,

from folks who've tossed in their 2 cents already...

while the just asked version of the same question goes unanswered or gets little play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus
...I thought I'd searched the topic to death but I must have missed that the salient point. Sounds like the Marathons are back in the running...
trucks...

which tire brand usually becomes a very HOT topic here...

tire selection is very personal,

my point is ST tires like greenballs and marathons aren't very different and

cheng shin (maxxis) is the new hot choice for some, but with little user info (read failures) collected...

otoh they DO have a LONG history of making jinrikisha tires!

here are a couple of links for ya on this issue which may or may not b useful...

but there are 100s others too.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

see pages 9-13 here and the weight/inflation tables that follow...

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

posts/threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/303973-post27.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/355140-post115.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ure-36206.html

i've had good results with the marathons but who knows what 6 will b next...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

nothing in my first reply 2u suggests not to ask questions ANY question,

but learning to use ALL of the resources here is very useful too!

have FUN selecting wheels, there are lots of good threads on wheels, with SHINEY PICTURES TOO!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
2air,

Why do you rudely continue to point this out. Keep in mind that the "We" you speak of does not include newer members. Some people prefer to discuss issues rather than just read through the archives. As far as I know there is no prohibition regarding discussing a topic that has been addressed before. If you prefer to not re-discuss an issue then I would suggest leaving yourself out of the conversation.
Hi byamcaravanner,
I think 2air is offering new information and also suggesting new posters do some research before asking more of the same questions.

It can get redundant re-hashing the same advice over and over and some of that advice gets deluted with repetition. 2air does have his magic fingers on the collective past regarding previous posted knowledge and experience. That becomes part of the thread along with a (sometimes) gentle reminder to look a few things up.
We have all contributed to threads about a question about the final aspects of the project only the find out later this poster is still trying to decide weather or not to convert the tube frame to square channel. A bit early to be asking about fabric and foam choices, don't you think?

I like the new questions too.....but sometimes it seems like some just want to start a thread and be fed information without doing some digging themselves. And then drop it!
I do not think 2air was rude...maybe just blunt. or curt. or succinct. (I had to look that one up)
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I am interested in the Goodyear information, I get the 65 mph load rating but still haven't found the info telling me it has a speed limit higher than 65mph stamped on the sidewall. Without that stamp the "speed limit" is still the same as the load rating if I follow the advice on their website to the letter?

Anyhow I've read so many tire posts now I feel like I have a plan. Choose trailer wheels, add tires designed and rated for the job (ST) and add TPMS to give me a heads up if/when pressure and heat become a more prevalent factor.

I still like the wheels "Greenballs" that I posted about so I think I'll give them a call on Monday to check the offset and go from there.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
...I get the 65 mph load rating but still haven't found the info telling me it has a speed limit higher than 65mph stamped on the sidewall. Without that stamp the "speed limit" is still the same as the load rating if I follow the advice on their website to the letter?...
that's correct basically.

all currently stamped ST tires are only tested for temp and load ratings at 65mph.

ST tires don't get a traditional utog or 'speed rating' like passenger car tires do...

Tire Tech Information - Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards

Goodyear Marathon Radial at The Tire Rack.

IF 65mph was meant to convey the modern/current speed rating...

that would basically mean the tire is tested to perform at that speed for 10-15 minutes before destruction...

Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

of course that is what has happened to a few, from reports here.

also consider (at least in the lower 48) towing speed limits are 65 or LESS in most states; what are the canadian towing speed limts?

so there is very little upside for testing or certifying ST tires above 65 mph.

but i can report towing 1000s of miles at 72 mph with out issues and with tire temps no higher than towing at 65.

proper inflation and maintaining that inflation is key, since pressure drops of 15 psi are to be considered the same as GOING FLAT...

good looking wheel choice too!

cheers
2air'

Old 03-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Speed limits are much the same 110 KMPH or about 69 mph. I drove from South Carolina back here in November (with my new truck but no trailer) and Montana was about 70 or 75 mph if I recall, just made me think of a bit of an extra safety margin. As a complete newbie Airstream hualer I doubt if I'll be setting any land speed records (unless things go badly out of shape in the Rockies!)

Once again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
truckasaurus,
I forgot about this bookmarked page I found. It gives you a much better idea of what this wheel looks like on a boat trailer.
MacGregorSailors.com :: View topic - Aluminum Trailer Wheels (15-inchers)

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
there is NOT 1 keystroke of rudeness (expressed or implied) in this thread except yours.
Quote:
we've covered this issue dozens of times already
I'm glad you meant no harm, but where I come from, if I had this sort of verbage directed at me I would consider it being chastised. I'm just offering my opinion that it should not be a requirement for people to "search the archives" and thus no need to point this out EVERY time a previously discussed topic is mentioned by a newer member.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
We have all contributed to threads about a question about the final aspects of the project only the find out later this poster is still trying to decide weather or not to convert the tube frame to square channel. A bit early to be asking about fabric and foam choices, don't you think?
It may be just me, but I've got my flooring and fabrics all picted out and I'm still welding on my frame and hashing out what sub floor to use. How else would I know what shade of salmon to paint the frame. LOL!

The points you and 2air make are all good. I'm just offering some perspective from a newbie to which many of these topics are new territory. We all want to enjoy the exchange that happens through "coversation" ...even if, sometimes, we've already found our answer in the archives.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks Craig, if these are zero offest I'm good to go, a picture is worth a 1000 posts (or maybe something close).
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
It may be just me, but I've got my flooring and fabrics all picted out and I'm still welding on my frame and hashing out what sub floor to use. How else would I know what shade of salmon to paint the frame. LOL!

The points you and 2air make are all good. I'm just offering some perspective from a newbie to which many of these topics are new territory. We all want to enjoy the exchange that happens through "coversation" ...even if, sometimes, we've already found our answer in the archives.
Yes, I was spending way too much time on the fun stuff early on in the process. I think it is one of the things that keep the eye on the prize in the darkest of moments. And i think it helps to look at some of those interior choices over and over as the project starts coming together. Like the color Salmon.......Caddilac used that color back in the early 60's.....but the clever people that name paints called it "Persian Sand" See! stomach ache gone!

I put in an orange floor. but Armstrong calls it Pumpkin. much better.

when 2air adds these reminders, I picture the curmudgion professor from the movie "The Paper chase" with the gigantic fussy eyebrows who frowns, than looks over his reading glasses and tells his young flock where they may search for the answer.....not what the answer is. After all, there are many answers to the same question.

Ah, grasshopper, the student has become the teacher....oops, that's Kung foooo.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Thanks Craig, if these are zero offest I'm good to go, a picture is worth a 1000 posts (or maybe something close).
I sent an email last night and received information this morning concerning the offset of the 16" GBC2000 wheel. It is 0 offset just like the 15" wheel. I also contacted Centramatics today and talked with Jerry. He said the #556-A balancers are a 10" plate and fit the 16" wheel, 6 X 5.50". The 15" wheel, 6 X 5.50" are a custom model he called "special". Both Centramatic units are $211.50 for 4 and this includes shipping.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Just an update. I've ordered the GBC2000's in 15" with some 4.25" chrome closed end centre caps and a set of LRD Marathons. Will report back with pictures when I pick up the trailer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Just an update. I've ordered the GBC2000's in 15" with some 4.25" chrome closed end centre caps and a set of LRD Marathons. Will report back with pictures when I pick up the trailer.

Thanks for your help.
truckasaurus,
Do me a favor if you will. Measure the backspacing (mounting surface to edge of back side of rim) on the old rims and the GBC2000 if you can. I would appreciate it.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Craig, no problem, I can't make it to the trailer, which is at InlandRV, until April 23rd so it's kind of a long wait for you though. When the wheels arrive at Inland I'll ask Greg in their service dept if he could take quick measurements for you.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Craig, no problem, I can't make it to the trailer, which is at InlandRV, until April 23rd so it's kind of a long wait for you though. When the wheels arrive at Inland I'll ask Greg in their service dept if he could take quick measurements for you.
I appreciate it. I take the trailer to the hunting camp this Friday for early festivities and scouting for turkeys with my hunting buddies. I won't bring the trailer back until April 20. Money will be available to buy what I need early April but it might as well stay in the savings account until needed.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end