Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Fuming mad, hubcap problem

OK, I have a set of hubcaps off my 1969 Chrysler, polished them up and went to pout them on the Airstream. After a half hour of trying to get 1 hubcap on, I gave up! (after destoying the hubcap) it's a 15" rim, and a 15" hubcap, WHY WON'T IT GO ON!!!!! it will not seat all the way, you get one side that will not set in place, and just the smallest jolt, it pops off like a spring is behind it. I have had a bad week, my Mother was in the hospital and is now in a rehab clinic. I thought to myself, lets relax and get those nice hubcaps on the Airstream, disaster!! I am MAH!!! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you look at the wheels, you will probably see there are several clips around the hub and lug nut area. This is for the baby moon hubcaps. If this is the case, the shoulder for the baby moons is keeping the hubcap from going on. There's really nothing youc an do, other than trying to find some 15" hubcaps that will fit over the shoulder.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope your week turns around. As for the hubcaps we experienced the same problem. We even tried the white lightning grease. My husband spent a few hours one day hand shaping the inside lip to get it on. He finally got one on we then left for a trip and it fell off somewhere between point a and point b. The only hubcaps we found that worked and actually fit our 15's were the cone style from VTS.

Good Luck
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
thanks

Overlander, are you saying the rim itself, the way it is shaped, might in contact with part of the hubcap? Not the moon clips, which are there. Niche, thanks for the kind words on my Mother. MPJ
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Overlander, are you saying the rim itself, the way it is shaped, might in contact with part of the hubcap? Not the moon clips, which are there. Niche, thanks for the kind words on my Mother. MPJ
Yes, the wheel itself is keeping the hubcap from going and staying on the wheel.
Likewise, you have my sympathies over your mother. I did a "drive by" post earlier and didn't read your whole post.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Thanks again!

OK, Niche, did the cone style attach using the original moon clips? Are the original moon caps smooth, or did they have Airstream on them, painted or stamped? I've seen the full wheel cover hubcaps, they look nice too. Now what to find/buy?

Overlander, Thanks for your sympathy. I just learned today that she might have NPH, now we need to find the Doc, and let him test for it.
MPJ
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have a set like these Full Moon Racing Disc Hubcaps, Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity.com on my Trade Wind. The link is for illustration only, I bought mine at Sears sometime back in the '80s. They look great, but you have to remove and replace them to check the air in the tires. Makes it possible to have as much fun as you have been having every day. Mine, at least, fit on the original wheels.

My best wishes to your Mom. That's what is really important.

Another thought, as Dave Barry might have pointed out, Fuming Mad Hubcaps would be a very good name for a band.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
OK, Niche, did the cone style attach using the original moon clips? Are the original moon caps smooth, or did they have Airstream on them, painted or stamped?
MPJ
They were chrome domes with no markings other than three or four rings stamped in the circumference.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
If you have the clips on your wheel and want to use baby moons, you will have to look for old style moons. The newer moons like VTS offers won't fit. I found some moons off. '53 Chevy that look ok. You might find something plain or with a cooler design. Don't be afraid to bend your clips a bit if the moons are hard to put on. Here's some dimensions for old style baby moons:

Outer Diameter: 9-5/8"
Inner Opening: 7-1/4"
Fits 15" Rim

Cosmos
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Our wheels have raised nubs so they are snap on hub caps. The baby moon set that did not work were purchased from hubcapmike.com. The set that eventually worked the cones are snap on as well. We put over 6000 miles on with them and still have all 4. Haven't lost one yet. Also neither set is stamped Here is a pic of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03620.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	125790   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04190.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	125791  

NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Been there, smashed that moon!

I bought new rims (Inland...great!) and new baby moons.

Three smashed moons later I gave up and called Andy.
Helpful as always.

Seems baby moons don't fit the new rims diameter/lip wise. Inland has the cone shape that fit/look nice...no idea if they can be removed and reused yet.

But they ain't Baby Moons!
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
Hey MPJ, I will keep an eye out for the factory original deluxe wheel covers for your vintage Tradewind. They are nice looking, wish I could find a picture of one.

As for your mother, I am so sorry she has been ill. I sure hope she has gotten a diagnosis, and is able to find successful treatment. I googled NPH, and learned a few things.
Hang in there, John! My best wishes to you both.

David
ScoobyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Hey David!!! Well in the past few weeks I have secured a set of vintage hubcaps. Being the "can't leave well enough alone type" I tried to polish them to make the nicer, and polished right through the anodize. Now I have began nto strip the anodize and polish, so far so good. I have two stripped and polished, although I want to use more aggressive polish to get rid of specs and nicks to get a better overall look. Mom did not test positive for NPH, is back from rehab and doing well, for the most part. She has Parkinsons and has had a slow, very slow decline. MPJ