Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Oh, I forgot to say that we did not go with disc brakes. Our tv is a 3/4-ton, and we upgraded to 12" brake drums for Lola (our 25' Safari), so we think we should have enough braking to do the job with electric brakes.

Deb

Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It seems to me larger diameter wheels over the original diameter brakes would result in a little less effective braking?

Doug K

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I suspect the overall diameter and width of the tire is about the same, assuming the original wheel and tire were about the maximum that would fit in the wheel well, as is usually the case. So, the braking should also be about the same. However, there could also be some variables in tread design, etc. that could also affect braking.

I would guess that if the brake controller was still able to lock the wheels, the difference would be slight. Again, just another opinion...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
If I remember correctly, the original brake drums were 10", so we upgraded to 12".

Deb
Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #19

1971 31' Sovereign
1997 25' Safari
Elmwood , Ontario
Are your 14" rims Aluminum or steel? Will you be selling them? Gerald146
Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, our baby (Lola) now has new shoes! (And 16" wheels and two new 3500lb. rated axles with 12" rotors -- tires are 16" Michelin XPS tires.) She sits a little higher, but the wheels/tires went on without having to let any air out.

It took approx. 5hrs. for three of them to accomplish this. My DH said the axles themselves were no problem installing, just bolted right on as others have said. I think there was a little issue with one of the tank's flange or something being in the way, but not a major problem.

Frank said the difference between the original axles and the new ones was night and day -- news ones being much, much beefier and the plates (?) were much more substantial, he's really happy with them. Also, while doing this he found that on one shock, the nut had fallen off the bolt and wasn't really doing anything. Also, he mentioned that one or two sets of bearings were bad on the old. (Lola is a 1999 Safari.) In the beginning he wasn't totally for changing them out, but after he read a lot about the tire failures, he agreed with needing Michelins. And, after seeing the problems with the old axles, he was really glad we went through with the upgrade.

Deb
Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Someone pm'd me about our old wheels and wondered if we were going to sell them. I can't find that pm in my account now, so I'm posting here.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I wanted to wait until we made certain everything went well with our upgrade, which it did. I'm sorry, but they are already gone.

Deb
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'm really looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story". My 99 Safari has original 14" wheels and I just had 2 tire failures over the Labor Day weekend. Luckily, I was close to an exit with a tire store, but ended up buying 2 Brand X tires. I'd like to at least get to a 15" wheel as the 14" tires are getting harder to find.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Chaz.

Oh wow, I typed a really long and detailed reply to you about how ours turned out along with some info for you, and somehow there was a glitch and it didn't post -- lost! I'm sorry, I'll try to repost some of it.

In a nut shell, we couldn't be happier with our upgrade to the 16" wheels/tires. We are pleased that we upgraded our axles too -- went to 12" rotors and upgraded the size of each axle to 3500lbs/axle. We installed the Michelin XPS tires -- at least for us it was a good thing to do.

I called the factory first about wheelwell space, and they said all Safaris have the same amount of wheelwell space (we'd heard the factory has been retrofitting later Safaris with 16" wheels/tires when requested), so we felt that gave us the "green light" to go ahead with our upgrade.

Andy, Inland RV, ordered our new axles from Axis in Elkhart, IN, and I drove there one day to pick them up (saved shipping). It ended up being about an eleven-hour day for me driving alone, but it was well worth the trip. The folks at Axis are very nice and helpful -- they loaded them into our truck bed and also made certain the load was tied down properly for me.

Also, we found out that NTB offers Michelin tire sales about on a quarterly basis, Michelin determines when and what the sale is. Also, if you are a AAA member, they give you a discount on parts plus labor. We saved a big chunk of money by getting both of those discounts on our five XPS tires -- five being that we needed the spare too. However, you need to request the AAA discount because they don't ask if you have AAA -- at least they didn't ask us.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, and if you have any questions, please feel free to PM us.

Deb
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks Deb, I looked into the pricing and I think we'll put it off for a while. But I'm glad to know it is an option. Charlie
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I don't know if the 14" wheels on the '99 are original or not, but we assumed they were. My DH and I were both surprised when we found out the '99 had 14" tires, and more than a little disappointed.
That seems really odd to me - our '95 has 15" wheels, which I believe are the stock wheels. I'm amazed that Airstream would go smaller.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote