Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
From 14" to 16" with a new axle

We ordered our new axles a couple of weeks ago. We are upgrading from 14" to 16" wheels for our 1999 Safari; we ordered through Andy at Inland RV, but we are going to pick them up from the factory ourselves.

We are going with steel rims and Michelins (Michelins are the reason for upgrading to 16"), but are waiting until the axles are here so we can see the bolt pattern to order the wheels. We also decided to go with Centrimatics.

We can't wait to get her out on the road for our first maiden voyage with her, we bought her in December and have been chomping at the bit since. Our first long trip will be to Top Sail, FL in May, but I think we'll take a couple of short weekends out prior to check things out.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I bet Andy can tell you the bolt pattern so that you could order your wheels now.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Now that you mention it, I'll bet you're right -- I need to give him a call.

Thanks.

Deb
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Just picked up a set of new LT Michelins (Load Range C) for my '99 Safari today. I'm just going to 15" ers. I think it's gonna' be good!

I'm not sure that putting LT tires on a trailer is any sort of cure-all, and I've had no real issues with the GY Marathons that needed to be cured - but: I'm getting another inch of ground clearance and more "buffer" on load carrying capacity with the larger tires, plut a lot higher speed rating, which has to translate (at real-world speeds) into better heat dissipation. I think that the biggest potential downside is somewhat less stiff sidewalls, but I'm not too worried about that, as I've always had zero sway.

We'll see.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
When we put on new axles, we found one surprise: The step into the door is now a bit high, especially for Maria. So we had to purchase something else to go with the axles: A portable foot step. (I don't recommend one of those cheap plastic kinds. They do ok stepping up, but stepping down, they catch a lot more force, causing one of them to collapse under my 200 pounds. It wasn't fun.)

Lynn
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
When we put on new axles, we found one surprise: The step into the door is now a bit high, especially for Maria. So we had to purchase something else to go with the axles: A portable foot step. (I don't recommend one of those cheap plastic kinds. They do ok stepping up, but stepping down, they catch a lot more force, causing one of them to collapse under my 200 pounds. It wasn't fun.)

Lynn
When I had the 22' it had one step. The 25 FB has two. I was in Home Depot one day looking for something else entirely and I noticed a sewer cover - heavy black and green plastic - that was about 18 inches long and 12 inches wide and 6 inches high. It turned out to be a perfect booster step when the grade required one, plus I put it down on a mat, then dumped my reese hitch under it when I was camped. Didn't have to worry about that big hunk of iron clanking around in the truck bed or protruding from the rear bumper. It wasn't under lock and key, but was out of sight and not tempting to people who "borrow" stuff.

Paula
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Mr Air Crusier : Could you update us on this? I'm wondering how the 16's have worked out. Tnx
Old 05-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Snedwid.

The axles bolted right on as they were supposed to, and the 16" wheels and tires (Michelin XPS) are working out well, at least so far.

We have been out camping twice now since changing them, and so far we have had worry-free travel. We stayed rather close to home the first time, but this time we travelled to Top Sail in Florida. On the way down, we discussed what a relief having the new axles/wheels/tires were -- very destressing. If we hadn't changed them out, we'd have been a wreck watching/waiting for a tire blowout.

If you have any specific questions, please let us know.

Deb