Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Found a Wheel I Like...

...but I'm not sure it will fit. The wheel is from Discount Tire and it's a good price & as I said I like it. It is 3600lb capacity. The concern is it's -16.0mm (negative 16.0) offset. Which as I understand means the wheel will be set 16mm (about 1/2") more towards the outside of the trailer from center line of the wheel. Currently my hub face is 6 5/8" from the outboard side of the wheel well and 6 1/8" to the inboard side of the wheel well. So as I see it 4" of the wheel will be on the out board side of the hub face. This leaves 2 1/2" from the wheel to the outboard face of the wheel well. Two questions...

Has anyone use a wheel with this amount (roughly) of negative offset?

Do you think it will fit?

Here's the wheel...Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not used it, but think any offset other than stock (0), would be bad for the bearings, and may cause interference with either the side of the trailer or the axle arm.

And, by the way, your linky no worky.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not only the bearings may suffer, but everything else as they are built for 0˚ offset (assuming 1977 was the same as 2008), and it seems it could put added strain on all the parts.

The link did work for me. You can call Discount and tell them what you need. They can usually find what you need and sometimes they will cut prices.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
_

. , .
in all likelyhood the wheel will fit fine.

it has the same 6 inch width as most stream rims.

with about a 0.6 inch shift (-16mm) this will have a negligible impact on the axles/brakes, bearings or handling.

the tract will be wider by ~1.2 inches or ~ 1.5 % which is NOT MUCH.

the PROBLEM is gonna be with the tires.

225s aren't ALL created equally.

width at the bead varies, widest point on the side wall varies and thread width varies based on brand/model of tire

the only sure way to know about FIT is 2 try a wheel/tire combo on 4 size.

the bigger issue is 16s, they are heavier and will impact ride quality with EXTRA unsprung weight.

there is no real need for 3500 lb rated rims or the extra weight that goes with them.

is the bolt circle diameter/spacing CORRECT ?

and unless u plan 2 use 16 inch ST tires, the LT tires have much firmer sidewalls.

also a 35 year old trailer can be expected to have axle fatigue which leads to LESS clearance in the wheel well.

IF the axles are new and especially if they are at a greater starting angle than original, that helps with these fit issues.

((i c n a nother thread u have dexter axles now, that changes EVERYTHING about hub positioning...))

ultimately u will need to TRY 1 on 4 size.
_________

the ideal combo would be 4-pack of the alcoa 5 spoke 15 inch rims (used are widely available)

they are VERY LIGHT and strong and and be POLISHED to perfection.

along with D rated gyms or maxxis in the 225/75 size.

it's like riding on a magic carpet.......smooooth!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It would be hard to argue with the AIRSTREAM/ALCOA wheel recommendation from the standpoint of quality, known issues (if there are any) and believable ratings.

Far too many wheels are made overseas and I, for one, have a hard time believing weight ratings on dirt cheap wheels. What does some triple subcontracted supplier 8,000-miles away care? And though DISCOUNT is a national retailer I use, their attitude may be that their liability is limited to the value of the wheel alone. Caveat emptor.

About the only complaint I've ever seen against ALCOA wheels (big truck, light duty truck, trailer, etc) has been their expense. Maybe about a plastic coat finish that deteriorates. NEVER about the quality that matters . . and if there are reports of such I'd appreciate seeing them.

The information about offset is appreciated, 2Air, thanks. I, too, have wondered about such.

Increased unsprung weight against axle deterioration is a good point of investigation to pursue.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Thanks all for the responses...all good food for thought.

As noted by the ever observant poster, yes I do have two spankin new Dexter axles. They are #11's derated to 3200lbs with 32deg down angle. As such, the swing arms and hubs are rated to 6000lbs. Soooooo I don't think the -16.0mm offset will have any affect on the bearings. The PO delivered my AS nearly a year ago and she has been in the driveway under construction ever since. I am very anxious to get some new rims and tires on and take her on a spin around the block. I would be happy to make use of some use Alcoa rims. Any suggestions on where to find them? A search on eBay wasn't fruitful.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post

As noted by the ever observant poster, yes I do have two spankin new Dexter axles. They are #11's derated to 3200lbs with 32deg down angle. As such, the swing arms and hubs are rated to 6000lbs. Soooooo I don't think the -16.0mm offset will have any affect on the bearings..
If you have Nev-R-Lube bearings, then the Dexter axel people say you need zero offset, or you will significantly shorten your bearing life.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
... I would be happy to make use of some use Alcoa rims. Any suggestions on where to find them?.
the 5 spoke alcoa rims occasionally appear in the classified,

u might also post a 'want 2 buy' over there.

i have seen several 4sale this last year, but now that some1 might want them, well you know...
_______

there are other modern stream owners who have recently been switching to 16s...

and any of the 15 inch rims they are ditching will be zero offset and fit without issues.

best o'luck

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The OEM wheels are available here: Tredit Tire and Wheel Company
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the Tredit link. Wow, they even have a shop in Arlington.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We Chose Those Wheels

We put those wheels on our 1988 Excella (32 ft.) almost 2 years ago ... and almost 10,000 miles on them so far ... also had Discount Tire put on new tires at the same time. No problems to-date. Perfectly happy with our choice and would do it again.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Go with some OEM - just not worth taking the chance on anything else....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Dexter 32 deg.

Quote:

As noted by the ever observant poster, yes I do have two spankin new Dexter axles. They are #11's derated to 3200lbs with 32deg down angle. As such, the swing arms and hubs are rated to 6000lbs. Soooooo I don't think the -16.0mm offset will have any affect on the bearings. The PO delivered my AS nearly a year ago and she has been in the driveway under construction ever since. I am very anxious to get some new rims and tires on and take her on a spin around the block. I would be happy to make use of some use Alcoa rims. Any suggestions on where to find them? A search on eBay wasn't fruitful.

Thanks again for all the input.
I just put new dexters on my 77,the choice was 22.5 or 45 deg.,how did you manage to get 32 deg. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I just put new dexters on my 77,the choice was 22.5 or 45 deg.,how did you manage to get 32 deg. Dave
I think...although the option for 33 (or was it 32) does not appear on the Dexter order form, it is available. Many dealers are not thoroughly familiar with the Dexter product line so you may have a dealer/salesman tell you that 33 is not available. Before placing my order I talked to an Engineer at the factory and spec'd out the axle. Lucky I did because the axles were wrong the first time they we built (dealer fault) and had to be rebuilt. The Engineer at the factory backed me up when the dealer tried to stick me with the wrongly built axles (they put 10" brakes on a #11 axle). As an update I did buy the wheels and they fit fine...a little tight at the front of the wheel well...about a half inch of clearance.