Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
So if I understand this correctly, this TPMS kit is only good if you have the Ford towing technology package on , in my case, a 2018 F250 SD Lariat.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandreth View Post
So if I understand this correctly, this TPMS kit is only good if you have the Ford towing technology package on , in my case, a 2018 F250 SD Lariat.
According to the Ford Accessories web site (link below) your truck must be equipped with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System to use the trailer TPMS kit. As far as I can tell from Ford's ordering info, the camera system is available as a standalone on the diesel or as part of the Tow Technology Package on the gas or diesel F250.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tpms-sensor.html

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
The camera (especially the camera) and the TPMS work just fine. While driving you cannot access the trailer tires but the system will warn you if there is an issue.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
You do have constant individual tire pressure monitoring available with the Ford TPMS.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
Not to be impolite but can someone say what the approx cost of this is??

Both for the Ford branded product and the after market product?
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
The list price for the Ford TPMS system is $500. $725 with camera. These prices are for the Superduty trucks (F-250 and up) and as mentioned earlier, require the truck to have the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera package.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
not sure what camera you mean.. -we have the tailgate backup camera - is this what you mean? or is there something else?

also how do we know if we have the "ultimate" tow package?
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I chose not to go with for Ford for my trailer when I bought my new F250. The Ford kit will only warn if your tire is low in air (perhaps 6 pounds). After market senor systems will tell you tire pressure, tire temperature and all important to me they will tell you if you have rapid air loss with an audible alarm. This way perhaps you may be able to pull over quickly an avoid a lot of damage to your trailer with the tire ripping off.

Having the extra small monitor is not an issue and it does make you think about your trailer tires more which can't hurt. I like to do a walk around and look at my tires when I stop. If you use the Ford system you could always buy an inexpensive infrared temperature gauge and take the temperature when you stop as well.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
not sure what camera you mean.. -we have the tailgate backup camera - is this what you mean? or is there something else?

also how do we know if we have the "ultimate" tow package?
The "ultimate" tow camera is the 360 degree camera system, not just the backup camera. The Tow Technology package includes adaptive steering, automatic high beams with rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane-keeping alert, and the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (includes 360-degree camera plus center high-mount stop lamp camera. Do you have all of those items? If so, then you probably have the Tow Tech package.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #30
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
The back up camera on the Ford system is mounted on the trailer (rear) for backing up and not for hooking up. Another camera on the back of the truck takes care of hooking up. Answering an above question.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I chose not to go with for Ford for my trailer when I bought my new F250. The Ford kit will only warn if your tire is low in air (perhaps 6 pounds). After market senor systems will tell you tire pressure, tire temperature and all important to me they will tell you if you have rapid air loss with an audible alarm. This way perhaps you may be able to pull over quickly an avoid a lot of damage to your trailer with the tire ripping off.

Having the extra small monitor is not an issue and it does make you think about your trailer tires more which can't hurt. I like to do a walk around and look at my tires when I stop. If you use the Ford system you could always buy an inexpensive infrared temperature gauge and take the temperature when you stop as well.

I have had both Ford and aftermarket systems.The Ford system is much better in my opinion and will constantly show all trailer tire pressures in real time.It also has a user set threshold with a low pressure warning system.Tpms sensors shut off to conserve battery life when vehicle is stopped also.Best part is its built it so no wires or monitor to mess with.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I wasn't aware rapid air loss can be set up on the Ford system. I was under the impression when I did my research that it only gave you a low air warning say 6 pounds and not a rapid are loss say set at a 3 pound difference.I guess the only thing missing then is tire temperature.

With some after market systems you can view you tires before you leave in the morning as mine does. I wasn't aware also the Ford system allows you to do this.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I wasn't aware rapid air loss can be set up on the Ford system. I was under the impression when I did my research that it only gave you a low air warning say 6 pounds and not a rapid are loss say set at a 3 pound difference.I guess the only thing missing then is tire temperature.

With some after market systems you can view you tires before you leave in the morning as mine does. I wasn't aware also the Ford system allows you to do this.

It is a well thought out system.And it works great!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
After market systems like the Tire Tracker can:

1) Give you your tire temperature and pressure not only on the roll but in the morning before moving.

2) Give you an flashing and Audible alarm for rapid air loss and not just a low pressure warning.

The monitor is smaller than a pack of cards and the charge lasts for 20 hours and the tire sensors shut off as well for battery life.

How do you set the Ford system for rapid air loss and not just say 6 pounds for low tire pressure? This was the main reason I went with after market.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Oh and of course there is an alarm for tire temperature which you can set. I went with their temperature recommendations.

I am not trying to be difficult. I was very interested in the Ford system but it seemed at the time to not offer what the after market systems did. Of course I would have liked to have it integrated; however, like I said having the separate monitor makes you keenly aware of your tires on your trailer and that has turned out to be very positive for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Ford TPMS Kit

You all realize the only reason the tire temperature would go up over the normal range would be if it was low on pressure or your trailer brakes were malfunctioning and sticking.With a catastrophic tire failure there is no warning.Lol
Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
I realize I made the right decision.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Question

Following this conversation, enlightening...

I currently have the TST TPMS system on my 28 foot AS. it's worked well, no complaints.

I'm seriously considering the Ford TPMS/Camera kit, for my 2017 F250 that has the Ultimate Trailer/Tow package, when I make the switch from 15 inch to 16 inch tire/wheel setup. One question, has anyone installed the camera that is in the TPMS/Camera kit. Wondering how the camera wiring was routing from the back of the AS to the hitch area.

Any hints/tips on routing of the camera cable would be appreciated.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #39
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
A long cable from the back of the trailer to the truck hitch supplies what is needed for the tire sensors and the camera. I mounted my camera on the license plate. Excellent camera and the tire sensors work well also.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
A long cable from the back of the trailer to the truck hitch supplies what is needed for the tire sensors and the camera. I mounted my camera on the license plate. Excellent camera and the tire sensors work well also.
Any photos or details on routing of camera cable. Thanks
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote