Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I would also be concerned if water entered the bellypan. I could just picture what over 200 square foot of soaked batt insulation looks like
Hi Dan,

From measurements I took, I don't think it got that high - even if it did, i don't think I'd be doing much about it!

As we entered the water though, I was thankful that just before our trip, I had indentified all of the pop rivets that had let go underneath due to corrosion and replaced them - otherwise, if the water had got that high, I'm sure it would have been ripping panels off! There were a great many spots where rivets were no longer holding and I fixed all the ones I could find before this trip!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Boat trailer bearings use a waterproof grease. I would not automatically assume that the same grease is used on your trailer bearings. The bearings on boats also use seals, and very often something like a Bearing Buddy that keeps slight pressure on the grease to prevent water from entering the bearings.

Given that you are a long ways from home you might consider dropping by a friendly RV serivce center to have them pull a whell and check for water in the bearings. If there is water in the grease it is possible for it to thin out as any water gets hot.

Better safe than sorry.

I'll check what grease I used on the bearings when I repacked them before this trip as to whether they call it waterproof - pretty sure I have a tube or two someplace in the back of the truck. I recall it was one of the more expensive ones and was described as "Red and Tacky!"

I may well pull a wheel or two before we get home - cannot do it easily here as the pull through site is not long enough to keep the truck hooked up and pull a wheel onto a ramp. without blocking the roadway.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We were at Alumalina last year and loved it, but couldn't fit it in the schedule this year - maybe next time we are down this way we should fit our schedule around Alumalina instead!

Brian
Yes! That would be good!

it will be mid-March again next year, sounds like, same place as these last two years.

We had 34 trailers this year, and had a great time.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Brian,

I hope you don't have any damage from your attempts at floating thru CHS. I drove into CHS on 26 to 526 today and saw a low off ramp that they were I assume cleaning out a catch basin to get it to drain out, deep water.

Brain, if you didn't notice in the tour guides, its called the Low Country. Maybe you found out why.

Safe travels.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Brian,

I hope you don't have any damage from your attempts at floating thru CHS. I drove into CHS on 26 to 526 today and saw a low off ramp that they were I assume cleaning out a catch basin to get it to drain out, deep water.

Brain, if you didn't notice in the tour guides, its called the Low Country. Maybe you found out why.

Safe travels.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Floods notwithstanding, I think Charleston has to be one of our favourite spots to visit and Im sure we will be back - this was our third visit!

On Saturday, before leaving Sunday morning, we attended a re enactment of the civil war "Battle of Charleston" re-enactment at a farm on Johns island.
(I'm a bit of a civil war nut, despite being from farther north than the yankees !)

It made one sympathize all the more with those poor b*ggers back in the 1860's, what with pouring rain and 44 degree temperature! At least we could get back into a warm truck ...... and no-one was shooting at us!

All the re-enactors were sleeping under canvas on saturday night in the thunder and lightning whilst I enjoyed a beer or three in the AS and watched telly!

I suppose for them, it is all part of re-enacting - if you are really into it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hi Taylormade,

Sorry we never got together! There were always around 4 'Streams in the park while we were there (for a week) and we did meet up with one other couple close by.

There was also a highly polished shorter trailer than yours. Love those shiny polished trailers!

Myrtle Beach is dryer, but windy and still cool - high of 55 today - still having fun though!

Brian.
Oh no worries at all, with so much to do in the park, we were hardly at the trailer. Our dogs LOVED the big park and my german shepherd pulled me countless times throughout the entire park on my skateboard.

The shorter AS you spoke of was a '61 Tradewind. I stopped and talked to him as he was packing up. It was a real beaut. He wasn't an Airforums member, but used to be on the mailing list prior to airforumes I guess.

In Edisto, I'm parked right next to a 79 Sov and there's an 86 25' Sovereign across the way from us. It's a very different experience for us, as we're typically the only AS where we camp.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Brian,

I think you're correct, lots of history both Civil War vintage and up including The Hunley, Yorktown carrier at Patriots point and much much more. I'm only 10 years in SC and less about1 yr of that in CHS sorta. I've heard of several reenactments, one at The Columns (hope I got this correct.) my daughter went to FMU Francis Marion University named after the Swamp Fox. No idea how people survived what they did. One thing I have experienced here in CHS is the biggest nastiest mosquitos I have ever seen, period.

Glad you enjoyed the area and a safe uneventful trip.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Brian,

One thing I have experienced here in CHS is the biggest nastiest mosquitos I have ever seen, period.

Gary
Gary, c'mon down to Florida. But hide your wallet, because the mosquitos here will mug you and leave you laying in the mud.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Gary, c'mon down to Florida. But hide your wallet, because the mosquitos here will mug you and leave you laying in the mud.

C'mon, I qualified that one with "I have ever seen"

YMMV = Your MOSQUITOES May Vary!!!

They actually do arial spraying, we're near a dunno "salt marsh" they swarm ya as you open the door to the office, still have a smashed carcass on my wall from last year, kinda a warning for this years crop, really don't think its gonna work though.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
C'mon, I qualified that one with "I have ever seen"

YMMV = Your MOSQUITOES May Vary!!!

They actually do arial spraying, we're near a dunno "salt marsh" they swarm ya as you open the door to the office, still have a smashed carcass on my wall from last year, kinda a warning for this years crop, really don't think its gonna work though.
Ha! I love the YMMV line

Here's a picture, although I think they changed it to be a little less intimidating, of the entrance to Collier-Seminole SP

When we camped, there was a different version of that sign... a 5' tall mosquito that was primed to draw blood... complete with a few drops of it dangling off the syringe like stinger. It was an angry mosquito to say the least.

The one and only time we went a few years back, it was in a pop up camper and the mosquitos almost picked the trailer up and took it with them.

I live on a ski lake in Tampa, and the county comes through with their trucks and sprays every other night or so and then hits the canals of the lake with their airboats.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Taylormade,

You win, I can't trump the skeeter meter, never seen it before, don't want to see it.

Gary
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Just an update to my original post.

I'm pretty sure my axles were underwater as I traversed about 1000 feet of flooded road at maybe 1-2 mph.

We got home to Canada last Wednesday and on Thursday, I pulled all four wheels and saw no evidence of water in any bearings. Good opportunity to add a little fresh grease though!

Guess I was worried about nothing, but worry-wart that I am, I would not have been happy not knowing, so I don't consider the time wasted.

I find it really quick to service the wheel bearings using the lynx levelers to get the wheels off the ground. I think also safer than messing with bottle jacks.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'