Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Painesville Twp , Ohio
Do I need new wheels???

Hello,

Just picked up my new-to-me 72 Overlander a week ago. It has the original wheels, tires and hubcaps. They all look nice and in good condition. In the "Preparing for the First Tow Home" article on this site, it mentions

"Plan on a new set of tires as well as rims if the coach happens to have original split-rim wheels. "

Does anyone know if the 72 has split-rim wheels?

Also, I know most people would say to get new tires since they are old, but what's the risk in continuing to use them? They have plenty of tread and don't show any signs of dry-rot or weather damage.

Any other advice is welcome. This is my first camper.

Thanks,
Nick
hagnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Nick, Your trailer is too new to have split rims. The issue with tires is when they get older and if they have sat in one place for years they tend to break down from the inside. That could cause a tire failure and damage to the trailer that would be much more expensive than a new set of tires. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I doubt you have split rim wheels on a 72. My 72 didn't, and it still had 3 of the original rims. I would take the rims to a reputable tire dealer or a trusted mechinic and have them look them over while you have new tires put on. If the rims are badly rusted, expecially on the inside rim edge where the tire bead sits, they will be prone to leaks.

Do you have any idea how old the tires are? Even if they look ok right now, dry rot can eat them away inside, and cause cracking that you would not see unless you remove the tires. If the tires are over 7 years old, I would spend the money and get good trailer tires (ST rated).

There are many threads on the forums that discuss the pros and cons of various tire brands. IMHO, all tire brands have had at some point a bad batch that has given them a bad name for a period of time over the years. When I buy new tires, I go to the local Tire's PLus dealer - they have never steered me wrong yet.

If you need new rims, Inland RV has them, which is where I bought 2, and plan on buying 2 more down the road.

Welcome to the forums!!!!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Usage of split rims on Airstreams stopped before the mid-1960's.

Action
Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Painesville Twp , Ohio
Thanks for all the feedback.

I live in Columbus Ohio and have only found one place that carry's tires to fit my wheels (ST225/75 R15 Load Range D).

I like to comparison shop and I can't. As a second option, is there another size wheel that will work with my Overlander? I'd consider buying new wheels and tires if the tire size was more common. What size? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Nick
hagnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Discount Tire has 2 locations in Columbus
Redneck Trailer Suplies is in Columbus
Tire rack is on-line

You might search around a little more.

Getting a different size means having issues with either load capacity or will a larger tire and wheel physically fit in the wheel well area. You should be able to have good selection with the tire size you listed in your post. Or you could consider a LT tire in that size, however it is going to have different charistics than the ST tire. There are pros and cons on this issue.

Action
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Nick,

Welcome to another Central Ohio Member. I ended up buying online (Maxxis) from Discount Tire Direct and then had them mounted at their location at Easton. New wheels came from Hubcap Annies down on Main.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

Welcome to Hub Cap Annie of Columbus Ohio
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagnik View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

I live in Columbus Ohio and have only found one place that carry's tires to fit my wheels (ST225/75 R15 Load Range D).

I like to comparison shop and I can't. As a second option, is there another size wheel that will work with my Overlander? I'd consider buying new wheels and tires if the tire size was more common. What size? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Nick
I have had no problem finding ST225/75R15 tires. There still are manufacturers that make the original size 7:00 15 which is a bias tire.
I have a 16" tire that I keep for a spare. Same tire height and width as the 15 but I don't remember the size right now. Another option would be a LT tire rather than a ST tire. LTs also are rated for higher speeds. If the tire shop does not have the tire in stock they should be able to order it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Nick, I bought mine at Sams' Club and they mounted and balanced them for me. They are LT (light truck) tires. 7.00 X 15" and load range D. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972, overlander, tires, wheels