Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Dexter #11 hydraulic vs Alcola rims

Here is my problem. My 78 soviergn has bad axles, so I ordered some new #11 Dexters w/ hydraulic disk brakes. I have the front axle installed, and it went very easily, and was ready to do the rear axle. When I went to put the original alcola rims on the hubs, I could not get them on. I have done a bunch of reasearch on this installation, but what I never did was to check the clearence needed by the disc brakes. Most on this site have installed #11 Dexters and 12" electric brakes. Since I already had hydraulic lines run and I agreed with the whole electric/ disc brake argument, I decided to go with the disc brakes. I figures, wrongly, that if 12" electric brakes fit ,why would the hydraulic not fit. I guess at this point I'm looking for suggestions. To make matters worse, I had to purchase 4 brand new tires just to get the Soviergn out of a backyard, where it sat for the past 15 years. The tires are brand new and sitting on 15" rims. Am I going to have to go with 16" alum rims? or does someone make a 15" that will fit over my setup. The alcola rims when I put them on the new setup are only a little bit too small. The rim will not sit flush with the hub face by about 1/8" on the caliper side. Any suggestions would help. If I need new rims / tires, recommended vendors would be helpful.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Hi and Welcome,

We bought a set of new Alcoa wheels with tires from Airstream off eBay earlier this year and learned in the process that when Airstream went to the Dexter axles and disc brakes on the new Classics that the Alcoas weren't fitting on the new Dexter disc brakes. Therefore, Airstream switched wheel suppliers and sold off their Alcoa inventory on eBay. I believe the Alcoa clearances were about the same or pretty close all the way from the late 1970s to 2005 or so.

We were at Jackson Center this week and saw they offer the new (non-Alcoa) Classic wheels for sale. I can't remember the price - around $200/wheel or so if I recall - but they may be able to give you the specs on them.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock53
Here is my problem. My 78 soviergn has bad axles, so I ordered some new #11 Dexters w/ hydraulic disk brakes. I have the front axle installed, and it went very easily, and was ready to do the rear axle. When I went to put the original alcola rims on the hubs, I could not get them on. I have done a bunch of reasearch on this installation, but what I never did was to check the clearence needed by the disc brakes. Most on this site have installed #11 Dexters and 12" electric brakes. Since I already had hydraulic lines run and I agreed with the whole electric/ disc brake argument, I decided to go with the disc brakes. I figures, wrongly, that if 12" electric brakes fit ,why would the hydraulic not fit. I guess at this point I'm looking for suggestions. To make matters worse, I had to purchase 4 brand new tires just to get the Soviergn out of a backyard, where it sat for the past 15 years. The tires are brand new and sitting on 15" rims. Am I going to have to go with 16" alum rims? or does someone make a 15" that will fit over my setup. The alcola rims when I put them on the new setup are only a little bit too small. The rim will not sit flush with the hub face by about 1/8" on the caliper side. Any suggestions would help. If I need new rims / tires, recommended vendors would be helpful.
These will fit. They have the correct back spacing, weight rating, and size for your 15" tires. I have been running them for 3 years, without a single problem, ever. They look nice on my Airstream.
Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #03 Size: 15 x 6 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25 Load Rating: 2830 lbs @ 80 PSI Offset: 0mm
Old 09-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I had a similar problem when I switched tire sizes on a Avalon I had a few years ago. The sidewall was hitting the shock. I was able to use "spacer plates" available at my local tire shop. These were 3/16" thick and fit between the hub and the wheel. problem solved. Yes I know about the geometry and all that stuff. I'm saying the car was good with it. JUST make sure your studs are long enough to account for the additional length needed.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Just want to send a thanks out to Uwe for his help with the rim situation. I ordered the rims that he suggested Monday at lunch and Tuesday at lunch they were sitting on my dock. The rims look pretty good. I thought I prefered the old rims, but the ones are growing on me. I will do a write up on my complete install after I run the new hydraulic lines. I was told that I since hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic my lince would be rusting from the inside out and to be sure, I should just run all new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	47683   Click image for larger version

Name:	new rims.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	47684