Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Crack in Alcoa Wheel.

When polishing the wheels on our 2005 Classic 30, I just found a very fine hairline crack in one of the spokes, which naturally has me concerned.

It is about 1/2" in length and is so fine that at first I thought it was a light scratch, but I'm pretty sure it is a crack.

The crack is located at the radius of the spoke where it meets the wheel rim.

For now, I am just watching it very closely. I found it last week and we are on a trip with the trailer right now - heading home tomorrow.

For now I am just monitoring it closely - will probably measure it with calipers when we get home to see if it continues to propagate. I hope this approach isn't too foolhardy!

Anyone else have similar experience and/or advice?

I have heard these wheels are no longer available, so to replace it I guess I'd have to be lucky enough to find a good used one for sale or I'd be buying a full set of some other wheel type, so it won't be a cheap fix!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Wheels have a weight rating. See if you can find out what the original rating was for the wheels. I suspect they are being used close to the limit as everyone is cutting cost.

I would not plan on running on a cracked wheel for any longer than it would take to get the trailer to where you are having them replaced. If that wheel fails you are looking a major trailer damage it that tire jumps up as it leave.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Wheels have a weight rating. See if you can find out what the original rating was for the wheels. I suspect they are being used close to the limit as everyone is cutting cost.

I would not plan on running on a cracked wheel for any longer than it would take to get the trailer to where you are having them replaced. If that wheel fails you are looking a major trailer damage it that tire jumps up as it leave.
Yeah, I know I should replace it, I just don't know how long it may take me to find a replacement. I'd like to buy just the one wheel, but may have to spring for a whole new set if I can't find one .... Damn!

I'm more concerned about trailer damage than our safety, as I don't think it would likely cause loss of control, especially with the Hensley.

Obviously replacement is the wisest choice, although I have no idea how long this crack has been there.

We bought the trailer used last Fall and have already towed it to California and back home - for all I know the crack has been there all along. I only found it last week when I decided to polish up the wheels!

I will be driving home with it tomorrow from Penn Wood Airstream park where we are today. Will watch it closely.

We had hoped to go away with the trailer again next month, but I'm not sure what to do now!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i would put my spare on if i had one . if not i would buy a steel rim at a rv dealer and have a tire mounted for a spare. you must have a spare with all the miles you are traveling. if not your have been very lucky.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Southfield , Michigan
My company does durability testing on wheels in the Detroit area. A crack that long is considered a failure and we stop the test. It won't be long before interesting things start to happen. I work with the local Alcoa wheel folks, they might be interested in seeing some photos and total millage on the wheels. I can't promise anything but they should a least know what is happing to their product in service. PM me and I will give you my cell number.

John Gagern
oneniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you buy a steel wheel the "OFF SET of the Wheel" is important. To check the off set rest the wheel on its rim with 3 bricks, on a level surface, and place a 4th brick in the center of the wheel. The bricks should not touch the tire, as this will effect the measurement. Now you can measure the off set of the wheel by measuring through the hub hole to the 4th brick. Now knowing this you can check any new wheel by just placing it on a level surface and repeating your measurement. You may not be measuring the off set by industry standards but you will have a like for like measurement which is just as good.

Clearance of the shock and the outer wheel well edge are what you are interested in.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
When polishing the wheels on our 2005 Classic 30, I just found a very fine hairline crack in one of the spokes, which naturally has me concerned.

It is about 1/2" in length and is so fine that at first I thought it was a light scratch, but I'm pretty sure it is a crack.

The crack is located at the radius of the spoke where it meets the wheel rim.

For now, I am just watching it very closely. I found it last week and we are on a trip with the trailer right now - heading home tomorrow.

For now I am just monitoring it closely - will probably measure it with calipers when we get home to see if it continues to propagate. I hope this approach isn't too foolhardy!

Anyone else have similar experience and/or advice?

I have heard these wheels are no longer available, so to replace it I guess I'd have to be lucky enough to find a good used one for sale or I'd be buying a full set of some other wheel type, so it won't be a cheap fix!

Brian.

Brian,

If you can find a test lab in your area you may ask them to do water washable fluorescent PT on the area for you to confirm your suspicions. A small test lab around here would do it for a case of beer.

If you were close to me I could do it for you for as a courtesy.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Brian,

If you can find a test lab in your area you may ask them to do water washable fluorescent PT on the area for you to confirm your suspicions. A small test lab around here would do it for a case of beer.

If you were close to me I could do it for you for as a courtesy.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'm a bit familiar with crack detection methods, but in this case, a close examination with a simple magnifying glass seems to leave little doubt that these are cracks!

I have them on two out five spokes on one wheel. Others seem fine.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I had a 3/4 ton Suburban that had these wheels on them and Alcoa sent me a recall notice for the problem you describe. They are the "Sport" wheels.
Remove one wheel and write down the part number and then call Alcoa for full replacements. They are the same wheel. 6 or 8 lug, have the same problem.
They sent me out a set for our Suburban and paid for re-mounting and shipping back to PA.
Go on their web site for additional information.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I had a 3/4 ton Suburban that had these wheels on them and Alcoa sent me a recall notice for the problem you describe. They are the "Sport" wheels.
Remove one wheel and write down the part number and then call Alcoa for full replacements. They are the same wheel. 6 or 8 lug, have the same problem.
They sent me out a set for our Suburban and paid for re-mounting and shipping back to PA.
Go on their web site for additional information.
I never seem lucky with these things but its worth a try, I'll take a look! Thanks!

I am not the original owner of this trailer, not sure if that would be relevant.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Try these....Alcoa: Strong Wheels: Home: Trailer: LTS
Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey Brian,

Any possibility you can post a picture of your wheel style? any pics in your profile that show these wheels?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey Brian,

A friend tipped me off to this wheel. Is this what you have?
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Yes, those are the wheels with the recall on them. Again, you'll need the part number stamped on the inside of the rim. There might be a date code there as well. Write that down too.
Good Luck!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes, those are the wheels with the recall on them. Again, you'll need the part number stamped on the inside of the rim. There might be a date code there as well. Write that down too.
Good Luck!

I guess when you say the inside of the rim you must mean with the tire dismounted. I just pulled off my wheel and there are no marking on the inside of the wheel.

Vinnie

Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
In reading some older posts about this issue it seems that only the 16" wheels were recalled and not the 15". I havent found any cracks in mine after careful inspection but it would be concerning to have a failure like that. My wheels have 2000 lbs on each wheel and they are rated for 2200 lbs each. Im living on the edge anyways.. thats me..

Vinnie

Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hey Brian,

A friend tipped me off to this wheel. Is this what you have?

Yes, that is exactly the wheel style that I have. I just recently emailed Alcoa and there response so far sounds promising - I need to get wheel id info and date code off the wheel and let them know. Fingers crossed!

Thanks ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
I guess when you say the inside of the rim you must mean with the tire dismounted. I just pulled off my wheel and there are no marking on the inside of the wheel.

Vinnie
Vinnie

the email from alcoa said about the id & date code .....

" this can be found 180 degrees from the valve stem on the deep dish side of the wheel."

I took this to mean that I should have to pull the wheel off the trailer to find it.

We just got home yesterday from a trip with the trailer, I have it out front of my house and will pull the wheel today to see what I can see.

Brian.

(PS - I didn't realize there was an earlier thread on this very issue. Itried to do a search for cracked alcoa wheels but couldn't find anything, maybe I should try again!)

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Brian,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...els-44388.html

Old 08-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks for that link Vinnie, I note with interest that alcao are saying these wheels were not intended for trailer use. If that is true, you'd think that airsream should have some involvement in this as I believe the wheels were supplied with the trailer from AS. Wonder if anyone has pursued that.

Anyway, it is not sounding very encouraging!

I did find all the wheel info on the inside of the rim where alcoa said it would be and have sent it to them.

What's more, I took a closer look at the other wheels using a 7 power jeweller's loupe and found as second wheel with cracks in two spokes.

In one case a spoke has cracks coming in from both sides, 1/2" on one side & 1" on the other so the spoke is cracked over half its total width at that point.

I would strongly advise anyone with these wheels to take a close look. You really need to clean the wheels and use some sort of a light source and magnifying glass to see the cracks - a quick visual glance won't do it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'