Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes, those are the wheels with the recall on them. Again, you'll need the part number stamped on the inside of the rim. There might be a date code there as well. Write that down too.
Good Luck!

I guess when you say the inside of the rim you must mean with the tire dismounted. I just pulled off my wheel and there are no marking on the inside of the wheel.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
In reading some older posts about this issue it seems that only the 16" wheels were recalled and not the 15". I havent found any cracks in mine after careful inspection but it would be concerning to have a failure like that. My wheels have 2000 lbs on each wheel and they are rated for 2200 lbs each. Im living on the edge anyways.. thats me..

Vinnie

Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hey Brian,

A friend tipped me off to this wheel. Is this what you have?

Yes, that is exactly the wheel style that I have. I just recently emailed Alcoa and there response so far sounds promising - I need to get wheel id info and date code off the wheel and let them know. Fingers crossed!

Thanks ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
I guess when you say the inside of the rim you must mean with the tire dismounted. I just pulled off my wheel and there are no marking on the inside of the wheel.

Vinnie
Vinnie

the email from alcoa said about the id & date code .....

" this can be found 180 degrees from the valve stem on the deep dish side of the wheel."

I took this to mean that I should have to pull the wheel off the trailer to find it.

We just got home yesterday from a trip with the trailer, I have it out front of my house and will pull the wheel today to see what I can see.

Brian.

(PS - I didn't realize there was an earlier thread on this very issue. Itried to do a search for cracked alcoa wheels but couldn't find anything, maybe I should try again!)

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Brian,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...els-44388.html

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks for that link Vinnie, I note with interest that alcao are saying these wheels were not intended for trailer use. If that is true, you'd think that airsream should have some involvement in this as I believe the wheels were supplied with the trailer from AS. Wonder if anyone has pursued that.

Anyway, it is not sounding very encouraging!

I did find all the wheel info on the inside of the rim where alcoa said it would be and have sent it to them.

What's more, I took a closer look at the other wheels using a 7 power jeweller's loupe and found as second wheel with cracks in two spokes.

In one case a spoke has cracks coming in from both sides, 1/2" on one side & 1" on the other so the spoke is cracked over half its total width at that point.

I would strongly advise anyone with these wheels to take a close look. You really need to clean the wheels and use some sort of a light source and magnifying glass to see the cracks - a quick visual glance won't do it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Update on my (two out of four) cracked wheels.

Although the Alcoa 15" forged wheels are no longer in production, Alcoa have found me two new wheels and will ship them to me under warrantee. (My trailer is just under 5 years old.)

I hope they will be ok, I will watch the new ones closely for any cracks.

If I see any problems, I plan to replace all four Alcoa rims (At my expense I guess) with a higher weight-rated rim. My Alcoa's are rated 2200 lbs max and I see other aluminum wheels on the internet rated at 2500 & 2800 Lbs. for around $100/rim

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for replacement rims? I have seen some that have a design with a series of round holes in a "plate" rather than spokes that look good to me - and maybe stronger than five spokes?

I have emailed AS to see what they use on new trailers since I am advised that Alcoa no longer make 15" or 16" rims. I guess AS must be using a different supplier now.

If I do move to a different set of rims, I wonder if there is any advantage to going to a 16" rim and if they will fit under my trailer ok? Has anyone converted a 2005 Classic 30 to 16" rims?

Any and all advice/comments appreciated!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Brian,

So you do have 15" wheels and not 16"?

I was under the impression that you had 16" as there really wasnt a fracture problem with the 15" based on the article I read. I looked over my 15" wheels very carefully and did not see any cracks at all. Not too many miles on my coach but I am running E rated tires at 65psi cold. Might have a problem if I increased the air pressure with those wheels. I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for the update.

Vinnie

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Hello Brian,

So you do have 15" wheels and not 16"?

I was under the impression that you had 16" as there really wasnt a fracture problem with the 15" based on the article I read. I looked over my 15" wheels very carefully and did not see any cracks at all. Not too many miles on my coach but I am running E rated tires at 65psi cold. Might have a problem if I increased the air pressure with those wheels. I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for the update.

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

Yes, my wheels are 15" rather than 16".

I have been in touch with the manufacturer, and as you suggest, I am told there has not been a recall on the 15" wheels.

Luckily however mine are still (just) within the five year warrantee and Alcoa have found two replacementrims for me - I have two rims out of four with cracks. I examined them all as carefully as I could with a magnifying glass.

Alcoa no longer manufacture 15" wheels, nor 16" I don't believe, and at one point it looked as though they would be sending me four new matching rims from a different source to honour the warrantee.

As it now turns out now however, they managed to find a couple of new 15" Alcoa rims at a dealer, have bought them back, and that is what they will be sending me under warrantee.

In some ways I would rather have had four different make rims as it would have allowed me to get a heavier rated rim. I think the 15" Alcoa rims are rated at 2200# max, whereas many of the other rims I found on the internet were rated 2500, 2800, and higher.

My trailer has a GVW of 8700# and I would feel happier with more aof a margin.

Anyway, hopefully all will be well with the new ones when I get them, I will certainly be keeping a close watch on them!

I have emailed Airstream to ask what rims they are putting on the newest 31' trailers and if they would fit on my 2005 model - just in case I still wind up with further problems down the road and need to source new rims

I have also recently received a set of Centramatics that I ordered from Andy at Inland RV, and I will install those as soon as I get the new rims.

You mentioned reading an article on problems with the Alcoa wheels - did you mean among the earlier posts on this forum, which I have now read, or is there some other link that you might have?

Cheers ........ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Brian,

If you can find a test lab in your area you may ask them to do water washable fluorescent PT on the area for you to confirm your suspicions. A small test lab around here would do it for a case of beer.

If you were close to me I could do it for you for as a courtesy.

Kevin
An aircraft maint shop should have die penatrant testing equipment. If you cannot find a shop with the right equipment.
I am going to go out and check mine as soon as the sprinklers turn off. :-)

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
An aircraft maint shop should have die penatrant testing equipment. If you cannot find a shop with the right equipment.
I am going to go out and check mine as soon as the sprinklers turn off. :-)

Hi Michelle,

Yep, after 34 years working as mechanical engineer with the railway, I have had some involvement with different non-destructive testing methods.

In this case however, although after seeing the first indication I thought is was likely just a scratch, closer examination with a 7x jeweler's loupe pretty clearly showed it to be a crack. I then examined all wheels closely in the same area and found a second wheel with cracks. Two spokes on each of two wheels.

Hopefully this is an isolated case, I don't think I have seen reports from others with cracks in 15" alcoa wheels. My other two wheels look fine,
and I tried to examine them very closely, and the fine cracks are easily missed with the naked eye.

I have the feeling that these wheels are fairly marginal in capacity for our trailer with a GVW of 8700lbs. Still shouldn't have cracked though. I'm sure we have never overloaded the trailer as we pack fairly lightly and don't even carry much water.

We are the second owners of this trailer however. The cracks could well have been there when we bought it. I only found them when I polished the wheels.

Thanks ......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #26

2005 30' Classic S/O
Utica , New York
Cracked Alcoa Wheels

Greetings fellow Airstreamer. Joe & Pat Kearney from Utica N.Y.; fomer Airstream club members, our Unit mergerd with Western N.Y. and our Central area was left out. I've had 3 cracked rims;two occured on flats on right side, one tire blew-out, second couldn't support the entire weight of right side of trailer, and blew out. This summer I was walking on the road-side of trailer, thought I saw a line of tar on flat surface inside bead, IT WAS A 2 1/2" CRACK! We Drive this 30' with SO less than 3,000 miles a year to and from Florida, trailer and truck have been measured on truck scales, with my weight distributing hitch, all axles and front wheels of truck are set up to Reece's specs. Clear coat is having issues at belt line, worst ugly mass of corrosion is behind the clear Thor label by door of Trailer for all to see,same for door handle and door hinges, ugly advertisements for Thor and Airstream. The roof has leaked repeatedly from an incorrect design on the roof awning tracks. Even on the new Airstreams, those tracks are bolted down, and "globed with sealer. Motion and flex of coach, causes failure of "glob", and the water damed between bolts leaks-in. Discolored carpeted walls, curtains, sofa upholstry, carpet,bench seats in slide-out dinnete, leak behind batroom medicine cabinet ruined carpet and wall covering in bedroom, are the 1/2 of it. A heath inspector checking for black mold, would condem the trailer. Ceiling material has peeled or bubbled in several areas. The coupe'de gras occured two days ago. The mirrored cabinet door over the bed on the roadside, splintered and cracked across the top of the door. Took it to shop to have it glued, technician pointed out, piston hinge was past "stiff"' the attachment of the two screw flat portion, had only one screw in it, hence the hinge pivioted in the wood till the door fractured. A glued door over the bed is really NOT going to look good. I'm still a "newbie" on computers, if you can help me spread this,a National Transportation Safety investigation is due if not more, I don't want to hear Alco's out of business. My older trailers were less problem.. Joe Kearney snagglepussj@yahoo.com Hope to hear from you and get your advice, I have free national callng through Skype, so send me your number
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
What is the truck you have been using? It seems you are having a lot more problems that the average user. I resume that you are well past your warrentee coverage.