Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Correct Centramatic installation ?

I just received my Centramatics today but there are no installation instructions. I'll be taking them to my shop tomorrow to put them on but I need to know , does the donut mount away from the drum or towards it? Does it make any difference? Just hope they sent the right size because I waited over a month to get them ,must be a very good product.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
If my memory serves me correctly, mine are mounted with the donut to the outside. My unit is up at our Airstream park so I cannot view it at the moment but I believe I'm correct and also believe it makes no difference.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Mine are outside.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They mount with the donut toward the outside, unless the wheel interferes with it, then mount toward the drum.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Either way.

Hi, centramatics can be installed either way as long as they clear the wheel, drum, or disc caliper, as per Centramatics instructions included with my set. [just make sure you install them all in the same direction] I chose to install mine with the donut, as you call it, on the inside and the Centramatics stamp readable for the outside. Click to enlarge pictures to see the Centramatic stamp, unless your eyes are better than mine. I also lined up my valve stems with the extra hole in the Centramatics, but that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450 (Large).JPG
Views:	307
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	81381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453 (Large).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	81382  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I am installing mine now as I install the new axles, backing plates, drums and all. The instructions didn't really specify which way so to be sure that the 'donut' doesn't interfere with the wheels I am installing my Cs like Bob's...donut to the drum.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I am installing mine now as I install the new axles, backing plates, drums and all. The instructions didn't really specify which way so to be sure that the 'donut' doesn't interfere with the wheels I am installing my Cs like Bob's...donut to the drum.
Neil
That's fine, though some wheels do interfere, so check before putting them on.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Bob,

I just ordered a set too. Looking forward to getting them as well. Hope i dont have to wait a month?!

I was looking at your pictures again a little more closely and see that the inside of that wheel has quite a bit of weight on it. What is the outside of that wheel like? Those are Goodyear Marathons which is a pretty good tire. I figured it might not need as much weight. We did ours at the shop and spent some extra time trying to get the weight down as much as possible and still come within a quarter ounce. Im sure the centramics handle that and much more. Maybe you dont need any weights on those tires and let the centramatics do it all.. ?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Maybe you dont need any weights on those tires and let the centramatics do it all.. ?

Vinnie
The instructions say to remove the weights on the wheels, unless they have been very recently spin-balanced.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hello Bob,

I just ordered a set too. Looking forward to getting them as well. Hope i dont have to wait a month?!

I was looking at your pictures again a little more closely and see that the inside of that wheel has quite a bit of weight on it. What is the outside of that wheel like? Those are Goodyear Marathons which is a pretty good tire. I figured it might not need as much weight. We did ours at the shop and spent some extra time trying to get the weight down as much as possible and still come within a quarter ounce. Im sure the centramics handle that and much more. Maybe you dont need any weights on those tires and let the centramatics do it all.. ?

Vinnie
Hi, my wheels were previously balanced and it is not necessary to do it, but may allow the Centramatics to better off-set the balance of the drums and fine tune what may be left on the tire/wheel. The type wheels that I have are not designed for wheel weights on the outside, so the amount you see isn't that much. Like Terry said, above, my wheels were recently balanced. Otherwise you should take the old weights off or have them redone. Your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454 (Large).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	81386  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok.. I see why they had to put the weights on the inside.

We have wheels like that at MB and ofcourse it would be unacceptable for a Benz owner to have wheel weights on the outside. Mercedes solution to this is a road force balance that actually loads the tire while balancing. Weights to the inside. Usually we have to rotate the tire on the wheel a bit to pull it right into balance. Trailer tires are not as true and exact as a high performance wheel/ tire combo so thats what makes the Centramatics so cool. Its really the perfect application for the airstream. Thanks for telling me about them Bob.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote