Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Silverbee

Not sure if you read my first post but this swap is $2500 for me...

I know I got a great deal on the trailer, so I am thinking perhaps the dealer has markup in the wheel upgrade as it was an afterthought on my part?

You don't need to tell me how much your costs were, but $2500 just seems like a lot of money to me especially since they get the 15's back in trade.

Perhaps you did better because they offset the cost of the upgrade to get your business?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Silverbee

Not sure if you read my first post but this swap is $2500 for me...

I know I got a great deal on the trailer, so I am thinking perhaps the dealer has markup in the wheel upgrade as it was an afterthought on my part?

You don't need to tell me how much your costs were, but $2500 just seems like a lot of money to me especially since they get the 15's back in trade.

Perhaps you did better because they offset the cost of the upgrade to get your business?
Ted:
Our swap was rolled into the whole deal and I negotiated a final price at that time. Perhaps your last line is accurate.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
After experiencing a GYM blowout this past May, in the course of the repair at JC I had them change my wheels to the 16" ones with Michelin LTX 225/75R16(E) tires. We just got back from a 1-week 1,000 mile trip. As part of this upgrade we also installed with the Centramatics (both on the AS and the TV). The ride was smooth and the tires ran cool at 60mph - previously, with 15" ST tires, the tires ran warm, mainly because ST tires are speed-rated. See Centramatic Wheel Balancer, Tire Balancers for DFW Trucks

I should add that we tow about 15,000 miles per year.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Considering Eddie Bauer Wheel Upgrade, but would like opinions.

Just a easy tire and wheel swap.The center caps even interchange.TPS is a piece of mind option as a blowout on a Airstream does some damage.A lot of people install Centramatic wheel balance ra to compensate for unbalanced running gear from the factory.Both are popular options for Airstreams but tire and wheel upgrade is #1.You will find as time goes by that there are quite a few more upgrades to do.It would be nice to drive away all done but that is another story .....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote