Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I am in the purchase stage of a new Airstream and was wondering if anyone could help me decide of the EB Wheel Option. It is a $2500 upgrade. The trailer is loaded and my life's dream. I have 2 weeks to decide.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help.

Ted
We were told that some 2015 models come standard with the larger wheel/tire combo ... but the old upgrade cost helps justify the EB pricing.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with the dealer today and he assured me the standard rims and tires are just fine.

So I think I will pass on it for now. I think down the road I will do the upgrade, but I might change it up and find a real cool rim. I also would like to learn more about tires and find a real good top of the line set.

So for now I'll save the $2500 and put that into the Hensley Arrow.

Thanks again for you helpful insight.

Ted

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good move for now, you can upgrade tires later cheaper than they can.

You might look into the ProPride hitch (an improved Hensley) and it is usually less expensive.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If your trailer is coming with 15's your dealer is giving you some very poor advice.Just do a seach on Airstream forum for Goodyear Marathon problems.Or GYM problems for short.You are buying a top of the line trailer with cheap tires?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #33
Site Team

, Minnesota
And keep in mind that opinions are like elbows; everyone has two.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Considering Eddie Bauer Wheel Upgrade, but would like opinions.

Just read up on the matter as I mentioned above and draw your own educated conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Discount Tire/America's Tire sell both Michelin LT/16 inch tires and Sendel T03 wheels. I always thought that this combo was standard on all Eddie Bauers......on all of the ones that I've seen.

It would be ashamed to spend all of that money on a EB and short yourself on tires. I put the 16inch combo on my 2013 International 19 and the 15s on my 2014 International 23D. No A/S should come with GYMs.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Okay, you have my attention. I will price out the Sendel T03 wheels and Michelin LT/16 inch tires.

I am assuming this is the top of the line combo? If I can price it now, perhaps I will do a swap right off the bat and save the original equipment for sale as new.

Or... perhaps there was a spike in price, if I doing a factory upgrade is within $500 of doing it myself, I'm going to call the dealer and tell them to do it.

Now here's the question, what sizes am I looking for? 16x7 or 8 rims, and what about the tires?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Last week we negotiated a trade of our 2012 25ft Flying Cloud for a 2015 28ft. Flying Cloud(primarily because of the ducted air). It is on the dealer lot waiting for A/S to send the Eddie Bauer 16" rims and Michelin tires to replace the 15" and GYM's. The dealer will also be replacing the valve stems with chrome stems from Always Shiny Wheels and RV to use with our TSTTruck Tire Pressure Monitoring System we bought for our 2012. Very happy to have made these decisions. Finally convinced the wife that was a necessity for safety and peace of mind.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have the Michelin 16" tires but it's a bit of a stretch to say they are absolutely necessary for everyone, or they are for safety. Many have made the good decision to use what they have for their own reasons, use extra care in their use and maintenance, and are doing quite well. We changed because of our long distance travel and peace of mind, and the final cost of the upgrade was $1,000.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Last week we negotiated a trade of our 2012 25ft Flying Cloud for a 2015 28ft. Flying Cloud(primarily because of the ducted air). It is on the dealer lot waiting for A/S to send the Eddie Bauer 16" rims and Michelin tires to replace the 15" and GYM's. The dealer will also be replacing the valve stems with chrome stems from Always Shiny Wheels and RV to use with our TSTTruck Tire Pressure Monitoring System we bought for our 2012. Very happy to have made these decisions. Finally convinced the wife that was a necessity for safety and peace of mind.
I find this helpful, I will check into TPMS as well.

Ideally I'd like to drive off the lot and not have to deal with buying, remounting, selling old tires/rims, etc and I'd like it done by someone other than me, someone qualified, even though I used to be a mechanic. I am a very busy business man and father these days. Time is precious to me.

What I am finding mind boggling is that I can go out and buy these Sendel T03 wheels and Michelin LT/16 inch tires and throw my brand new standard 15" rims and tires in the dumpster for far less than paying for the upgrade?!?!

Am I missing something here, do they modify the hubs or brakes or something, or is is a straight wheel swap?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
I find this helpful, I will check into TPMS as well.

Ideally I'd like to drive off the lot and not have to deal with buying, remounting, selling old tires/rims, etc and I'd like it done by someone other than me, someone qualified, even though I used to be a mechanic. I am a very busy business man and father these days. Time is precious to me.

What I am finding mind boggling is that I can go out and buy these Sendel T03 wheels and Michelin LT/16 inch tires and throw my brand new standard 15" rims and tires in the dumpster for far less than paying for the upgrade?!?!

Am I missing something here, do they modify the hubs or brakes or something, or is is a straight wheel swap?
Our new Flying Cloud was at the dealer with the 15" rims and GYM's. Our deal was for the dealer to obtain the EB's and Michelins from Jackson Center and swap out(we paid the difference) the installed wheels and tires, including the spare. It is my understanding that no modification is necessary-straight change-out.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Silverbee

Not sure if you read my first post but this swap is $2500 for me...

I know I got a great deal on the trailer, so I am thinking perhaps the dealer has markup in the wheel upgrade as it was an afterthought on my part?

You don't need to tell me how much your costs were, but $2500 just seems like a lot of money to me especially since they get the 15's back in trade.

Perhaps you did better because they offset the cost of the upgrade to get your business?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Quote:
Silverbee

Not sure if you read my first post but this swap is $2500 for me...

I know I got a great deal on the trailer, so I am thinking perhaps the dealer has markup in the wheel upgrade as it was an afterthought on my part?

You don't need to tell me how much your costs were, but $2500 just seems like a lot of money to me especially since they get the 15's back in trade.

Perhaps you did better because they offset the cost of the upgrade to get your business?
Ted:
Our swap was rolled into the whole deal and I negotiated a final price at that time. Perhaps your last line is accurate.