Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Complete running gear project

Last fall I finally took the time to pull the wheels and inspect the running gear, brakes etc.... As expected, I didn't like what I found. 2 of the 6 brake assemblies weren't even functional and 4 of the 6 rear seals had failed making for a real mess. I decided that after Winter I'd redo the entire running gear. Brakes, seals, bearings, races, (entire hub assembly) tires, etc..

I really thought it would be a bit easier to find the parts I'm gonna need for this project. I have the manual for the Airstream and it's vague, at best.
The only real info I am gathering from the manual is that I have Dexter 3200lb axels, 12" electric drum brakes and 15" tires.
Maybe it's just me but why do I have to disassemble my hubs and search for part numbers on a bunch of worn out parts and then wait a week for the parts to come in the mail? (I'm in Wichita, KS. where we dont have a reliable RV dealership within 3 hours)

Somebody please steer me towards someone who has the info I need! I dont want to become an expert on Airstream running gear parts.... I'd really like to call an expert and tell them I have a 2001 '34 Limited and have them sell me about $1500 in parts and send them to my door. Too much to ask? I think not.
Who do you'all like AND trust? Who can I call and get the RIGHT parts from the first time?
Drop me a name and phone number........Thanks in advance

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Send a note to Colin Hyde; or Andy at Inland RV. I'm sure they'll have the information you need in a book in front of them.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Complete running gear project

I would call Dexter. Give them the nameplate data on your axles. You should find a plate or some kind of identification tag on the axles.
You will have to crawl under the trailer.
I would bet they are the same as the AXXIS axles that I have.
Here are the part numbers for my AXXIS axles. 3,500 #
Inner bearing/cup. 68149/68111
Outer bearing/cup. 44649/44610
Seal Number. 171255TC
Most well stocked auto parts stores will carry these items. If not in stock, they can order them.
If you are close to a Redneck trailer supply. They will carry the parts as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
Last fall I finally took the time to pull the wheels and inspect the running gear, brakes etc.... As expected, I didn't like what I found. 2 of the 6 brake assemblies weren't even functional and 4 of the 6 rear seals had failed making for a real mess. I decided that after Winter I'd redo the entire running gear. Brakes, seals, bearings, races, (entire hub assembly) tires, etc..

I really thought it would be a bit easier to find the parts I'm gonna need for this project. I have the manual for the Airstream and it's vague, at best.
The only real info I am gathering from the manual is that I have Dexter 3200lb axels, 12" electric drum brakes and 15" tires.
Maybe it's just me but why do I have to disassemble my hubs and search for part numbers on a bunch of worn out parts and then wait a week for the parts to come in the mail? (I'm in Wichita, KS. where we dont have a reliable RV dealership within 3 hours)

Somebody please steer me towards someone who has the info I need! I dont want to become an expert on Airstream running gear parts.... I'd really like to call an expert and tell them I have a 2001 '34 Limited and have them sell me about $1500 in parts and send them to my door. Too much to ask? I think not.
Who do you'all like AND trust? Who can I call and get the RIGHT parts from the first time?
I will second the "call Dexter" advice. With the axel number they will give you exactly what you are looking for. Great company to deal with too!
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
It's cheaper to just buy the entire brake assembly you get everything from the backing plate to drum all in one assembly including lug nuts , and bearings .Just remove the old ones and replace with the new all you need to do is pack the new bearings .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post

Your axles are Henschen.

Replacing the brakes with the new style "self adjusting" brakes, is the only way to go.

The grease seal for your coach should be "double lipped with a spring".

Selling parts that are cheap is one thing. Selling the "correct" parts is the way to make customers happy, and secure, especially with safety.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't believe you will get new bearings and seals with new brake assemblies.
Again, look for a Dexter supplier near you or anyone who sells stock trailers.
They will sell entire backplate assemblies with all new brake components.
You should make sure the brake drums are in good shape as well.
Since you live near farm country, there should be suppliers.
THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT A$ axles.
Torsion axles are used on trailers such as "car haulers", stock trailers etc.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Selling parts that are cheap is one thing. Selling the "correct" parts is the way to make customers happy, and secure, especially with safety.

Andy
You are correct Sir! Done and Done. Thanks Andy. I shop customer service over price everyday.

Looking forward to some shinny parts and getting dirty after this bitter cold Winter!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I am sure many of the parts you seek are pretty standard from a trailer supply house. Bearings, seals, races, just take the old parts with you and check and see. I used a large trailer supply house in Phoenix when I did what you are doing. This is a very inexpensive DIY way. The other direction would be to get 6 fully loaded backing plates. They are EZ to to the job just not cheap.
Check out this place - You will get to look the dude in the eyes and know if he is jerking you around.

Redneck Trailer Supplies

www.redneck-trailer.com
6 Google reviews

10606 E 26th Cir N
Wichita, KS
(316) 263-6090

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Redneck Trailer Supply.....Mmmmm.... Oh yeah, it sounds familiar because I just paid $120 to have my parts shipped from there.
(This place is about 12 miles from me) Would'nt be such a hard pill to swallow except shipping costs were 20% of my total bill.
Live & learn right?
Just my luck to live in the same town as the trailer supply house. On the up side, I got my parts from Inland RV in less than 24 hours!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sometimes when you want something you need to look no further than your back yard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
How well should Airstream brakes work? I notice the brakes coming on when I apply them manually, but the stop is at a leisurely pace.
Seaheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Amazing how little bite they have isn't it? I replaced everything on both of our Bambi wheels when I discovered that the seals had leaked and contained the shoes. Dexter insisted that the drums had to go too and because they were paying for the parts I did everything.

I wondered if the brakes would be that much better after the repair.
The answer is "kind of...sort of". When you see how they actually work you see why too. Only a single shoe works per set in a given direction and the method of activation is simply the electro magnet creates friction on the side of the drum to pull the brake activator/pivot.

My brakes certainly don't lock up on pavement. They are much stronger post rebuild though. .

Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app