Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I am in not at all interested in historic accuracy. I actually prefer to rewrite history to fit my own ideas of how things went down (ie, all of our forefathers were hemp smoking hippies and Hell on Wheels is 100% factual).

I don't believe I have splits at this point, though my rims don't appear to be one solid piece either (new picture attached). Going to a tire shop tomorrow to verify everything.

Out of curiosity, is there a danger in inflating splits to top off on air pressure at the gas station or is this JUST when removing / replacing the entire tire?

I'm not usually so cautious and concerned but I watched this crazy video of these Russian guys who got into this giant hollow ball and rolled down a tubing slope...only to go off course and plummet over a cliff, killing one of them...which now has me realizing how dangerous things like sled riding and tire changing apparently are... :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-786392389.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	176640  

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
One of my High School friends worked in a tire shop. He showed me what happened when a split rim let-go. It was on the tire machine and actually stripped the big cone-nut loose and then everything went thru the ceiling, ripping out 2x4's on the way.

No more split rims at that shop!!!

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes those are the original hubcaps.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
See the wheel in post #10? The one with the outside rim pried loose and a pry bar under it. It's obviously multiple pieces. Even in use, multiple pieces. It is a split rim.

The wheel you have (the blue one in post #15) was made from more than one piece, but welded together so now you can only take it apart to one piece. (Not counting the clip-on tire weights, the bolts, and the tire valve.) It's not a split rim. It's a one piece wheel. Good news for you.

I have noticed that no one has come up with a definite "they used them until 19xx and then switched" piece of information, though.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Click, those are one piece wheels, the hub is welded to the rim part, but they're in one piece. pretty typical for older American cars and light trucks. The tabs are for a hubcap; 6 bolt, maybe they're original? It would be good to figure out if they're the correct ones, width and diameter. It might be that splits were outlawed when the first big auto safety rules came in in '66?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Repaired many, many flats during active Army duty in Vietnam. All of our truck tires had split rings. We did not have a cage when airing them up either. It was our practice that when we were inflating them we would flip them over and sit on the tire during the inflation process. You would hear a sharp snap when the ring seated and feel the tire jump. Only once in the numerous times did I see one of our guys flipped into the air several feet by a ring dislodging itself. No injuries but we were all aware of the risk and dangers. Not sure when they did away with them but good riddance.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #21

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
There is almost no chance of having a split rim. The NTSB outlawed these in the 1960's. This is the famous "exploding tire" urban ledgend. It wasn't the tires that blew up it was the split rim failure. I believe there were even some deaths related to this problem.
No tire company or business would ever mount a tire on one of these rims. Unless yor tires date back to the 1960's, I wouldn't worry.
I don't know what was outlawed but my 77 Ford F250 came with them stock from the factory. Can you provide a link supporting this NTSB statement?

Thanks,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
I am in not at all interested in historic accuracy. I actually prefer to rewrite history to fit my own ideas of how things went down (ie, all of our forefathers were hemp smoking hippies and Hell on Wheels is 100% factual).

I don't believe I have splits at this point, though my rims don't appear to be one solid piece either (new picture attached). Going to a tire shop tomorrow to verify everything.
The rims in your photo are one-piece, drop center rims.

Split rims don't have a drop center. There's no need for it since the rim comes apart for mounting.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Okay thanks everyone, confirmed they're not splits and I have to say, the participation in this thread has shown me how valuable this forum can be!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
It's pretty cool, questions like yours prompt people like me to look this stuff up and learn more. I had splits and didn't consider using them, but was curious to find out more about them. Good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I don't know what was outlawed but my 77 Ford F250 came with them stock from the factory. Can you provide a link supporting this NTSB statement?

Thanks,
Yep, split rims are still in use, there are literately thousands of container chassis on the road in the US running 10.00 / 20's and every one of them is mounted on a split rim wheel. Worked on hundreds of them at the gas station where I worked during high school. Some have a detachable rim that is one one solid piece , most of the detachable rims on the the little 15 and 16 inch wheels are split in half at one place . take a look at the wheels on a big modern truck crane , probably has something in the order of a 16.00 R 25
tubeless tire on it that is mounted on a split rim. Yes there are tubeless split rim wheels all over the place , the wheel splits apart and uses a big O ring to seal the gap.
most of the rim failures can be traced to not cleaning the rust , dirt and **** out of the contact areas where the rim meets the wheel and it sure helps to preseat them by tapping inward with a hammer BEFORE airing up the tire. I still have a 71 Ford one ton with split rims. of course I do all my own tire work tire shop folks simply do not know how to work on them, or any tire if they can't use one of those fancy machines to do the work for them. Can't blame em though wrestling with 1400 / 20 on a Dayton split rim beside the road is a lot of that evil four letter word " WORK "
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Yep, split rims are still in use, there are literately thousands of container chassis on the road in the US running 10.00 / 20's and every one of them is mounted on a split rim wheel. Worked on hundreds of them at the gas station where I worked during high school. Some have a detachable rim that is one one solid piece , most of the detachable rims on the the little 15 and 16 inch wheels are split in half at one place . take a look at the wheels on a big modern truck crane , probably has something in the order of a 16.00 R 25
tubeless tire on it that is mounted on a split rim. Yes there are tubeless split rim wheels all over the place , the wheel splits apart and uses a big O ring to seal the gap.
most of the rim failures can be traced to not cleaning the rust , dirt and **** out of the contact areas where the rim meets the wheel and it sure helps to preseat them by tapping inward with a hammer BEFORE airing up the tire. I still have a 71 Ford one ton with split rims. of course I do all my own tire work tire shop folks simply do not know how to work on them, or any tire if they can't use one of those fancy machines to do the work for them. Can't blame em though wrestling with 1400 / 20 on a Dayton split rim beside the road is a lot of that evil four letter word " WORK "
PS , Have worked with , used , driven , trucks and trailers since back in the sixtys and the only split rim I have ever seen or known of to come off the wheel after the initial inflating were on steering axles after the tire went flat or blew out. and no , I do not wish the small stuff still used split rims.