Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Centramatic Installations on 2006 Model Year Trailer

We have a 2006 model year 30' Classic with Dexter axels, Dexter hydraulic disc brakes, and aluminum rims with six lug nuts per wheel. Our unit was manufactured in late 2005.

I am considering the installation of the Centramatic wheel balancing system, and have two areas of concern. I would greatly appreciate hearing from owners that have completed such an installation on Airstream TT's having a similar setup.

I am concerned about the clearance between the outer tire sidewall and the fender well, and about the length of the wheel studs (Are they long enough?) after installing Centramatics.

Many thanks,

F. A. Meloy
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
_

. , .
i've had them on a disc brake triple for ~50,000 miles.

the PLATE section of a centramatic is very thin, perhaps 2 mm at most.

so there should be NO impact on wheel well clearance or stud length.

after torquing the lugs several times (25, 50 and 100 miles) there is no evidence of lug/stud issues...

there are several threads on these balancing units with good pix and reports...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ate-32907.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ces-10971.html

and several VENDORS now have photo documentation too.

there are some pix of the painted versions in posts #22 and 94 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ons-27999.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
We have a 2006 model year 30' Classic with Dexter axels, Dexter hydraulic disc brakes, and aluminum rims with six lug nuts per wheel. Our unit was manufactured in late 2005.

I am considering the installation of the Centramatic wheel balancing system, and have two areas of concern. I would greatly appreciate hearing from owners that have completed such an installation on Airstream TT's having a similar setup.

I am concerned about the clearance between the outer tire sidewall and the fender well, and about the length of the wheel studs (Are they long enough?) after installing Centramatics.

Many thanks,

F. A. Meloy
Generally speaking, Centramatics will not fit when using mag wheels, or with disc brakes.

You might call them direct and see if they came up with an answer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Generally speaking, Centramatics will not fit when using mag wheels, or with disc brakes.

You might call them direct and see if they came up with an answer.

Andy
I think you have that backwards. My Centramatics have been on my Kodiak disc brakes for tens of thousands of miles in the standard aluminum Airstream wheels. No clearance problems at all. However, when I had to use my steel spare wheel, the balancer did not fit
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
I installed Centramatics on my 2006 Classic. Aluminum wheels, disc brakes no problems what so ever. My tires show no signs of cupping and are wearing very evenly.
I looked and I have the dreaded Marathons from Goodyear, they are load range "E" came from the factory with them. So far so good.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I have found three after market methods of balancing my tire/wheel assembly after they have undergone a shop balance using lead weights. The first is Centramatics. The second uses small ceramic beads that are put inside of the tire. The third is a liquid (similar to the green "snot" I use in my bicycle tires) that is injected into the valve stem. None of the dealers will provide me with anything more than the manufacturer's glowing reviews and a string of end user's testimony that reflects the vendor's claims. No one has posted a before and after summary with conclusive evidence that these things work and NTSHA hasn't listed any of the products as good or bad.

Problem is that the hubs on my 1976 are seriously out of balance and I don't really trust the 17 yo at Big O who can't decide if he should put the weights in one place or two. Also, my 1976 uses bolts instead of studs. Mounting a tire even without a Centramatic assembly in the mix is a problem. The cost comparisons and ease of use make the other two a bit more attractive. Another logistical problem seems to be is fitting the Centramatic between the wheel and hub. Anyone know if the aluminum wheels (presumably stock) on my 1976 (with a 1/2 in gap between the hub and wheel) will accommodate the Centramatics? Anyone have access to comparison studies of these products?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
get bolts and cut the heads off. thread them in on opposite sides of the drum and they'll help hold things while you start a few bolts with heads :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Centramatics

A special Centramatic, made to specs, must have a flat area on the back side of the wheels that is 10 inches.

Anything less, will not allow the balancer to correctly fit.

Most Mag wheels are fairly thick on the backside, and do not have enough flat area.

That is not to say that some mags will allow the proper fit, but generally speaking, the backside of the vast majority of them are only 6 to 7 inches.

Andy
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
_

. , .
i also had the issue of the centras' NOT fitting behind a steel wheel spare,

while being PERFECT behind the alcoa alloys.

solution? i ditched the steel spare and replaced it with another alcoa.
_________

to the OP...

it saves TIME and frustrations to buy directly from the factory in texas...

Centramatic

OR use a vendor who understands FIT issues, like this one...

"Centramatic Automatic Truck Wheel Balancers will save you tires.Trucks and Hummers, wheel balancer, tire balancer, Centramatic,tire balancer for horse trailers,tire balancing,wheel balance,spin balance,tire rotation,18 wheeler,tire tread,wheel weigh

there's almost NEVER a need to guess about fit, unless the trailer or rims are WAY old...

i may just add a set 04 2 the truck now...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A special Centramatic, made to specs, must have a flat area on the back side of the wheels that is 10 inches.

Anything less, will not allow the balancer to correctly fit.

Most Mag wheels are fairly thick on the backside, and do not have enough flat area.

That is not to say that some mags will allow the proper fit, but generally speaking, the backside of the vast majority of them are only 6 to 7 inches.

Andy
Andy, if I am using drum brakes and these 16" wheels pictured below ... is that enough information to diagnose whether your special Airstream model Centramatics will fit? I know you have said that we must confirm that the surface of a 10" cake pan would fit behind the wheel ... must I remove a wheel and measure or can we conclude from others having successful installations (see GeneCrawford) that Centramatics will fit on mine? If so, specifically which model would I need to order?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.
Attached Images

UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Andy, if I am using drum brakes and these 16" wheels pictured below ... is that enough information to diagnose whether your special Airstream model Centramatics will fit? I know you have said that we must confirm that the surface of a 10" cake pan would fit behind the wheel ... must I remove a wheel and measure or can we conclude from others having successful installations (see GeneCrawford) that Centramatics will fit on mine? If so, specifically which model would I need to order?

It's better to make sure instead of wasting money on shipping.

In order to install the Centramatics, you will have to remove the wheels anyway.

To be sure, take one wheel off and double check for the flat area.

If it's flat enough, then part # 13150 will work.

Andy
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post

UAPachyderm: If you still have a 28' International, you have 15 inch wheels, don't you? Our 2005 28' International has 15 inch wheels, and they look just like yours.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313

UAPachyderm: If you still have a 28' International, you have 15 inch wheels, don't you? Our 2005 28' International has 15 inch wheels, and they look just like yours.
I changed to 16" wheels.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

It's better to make sure instead of wasting money on shipping.

In order to install the Centramatics, you will have to remove the wheels anyway.

To be sure, take one wheel off and double check for the flat area.

If it's flat enough, then part # 13150 will work.

Andy
Ok, will do.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
Good info regarding the Centramatic product. Not to hijack this discussion but has Sun-Tech Innovations' "Balance Masters" product been discussed on the forum as that product may require less flat surface on the back side of an aluminum rim.
Thanks,
TKNELLE
TKNELLE is offline   Reply With Quote