Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Richmond , Virginia
Bolt Engagement depth from Wheel hub contact point

Just got some nice "looking" wheels w/ tires. Problem is that the wall thickness is vastly thicker than the steel rims 3/16 +/-. My new thickness appears to be 1/2". Please don't panic yet. I haven't driven off anywhere just yet. My question is, what's the recommended bolt depth/bite for the nuts into the hub? Also, where should I order them up from.

The second but solved now issue was that I needed specialty tools namely a socket well and a breaker bar to get these wheels on.

Thank you all for the community feel!!

-Mac
MACINRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
For something like that, I want to see the bolts thread through ALL of the threads in the hub.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You need to determine if the new tires and wheels will fit inside of your wheel well. You can do this without buying new studs. With the trailer setting level, measure the distance the current wheel sticks up inside the wheelwell. Jack the trailer off the ground, with boards under one wheel. Measure the distance the wheel still sticks up in the wheelwell. Mount the proposed wheel/tire on the brake drum. Measure how much the tire is now in the wheelwell and check for clearances on inside and outside. Dismount the new tire. The studs are pressed in from the inside of the brake drums. Measure the distance the current studs stick out from the surface of the brake drum. measure the thickness of the proposed wheels. You will need at least 3/4 inch of thread engagement. If they are too short, a local auto parts dealer will have 1/2 in. fine thread studs of larger length to fix your problem. Expect to pay $1 to $2 per stud.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As a rule, I think that trailers of this era use bolts and not studs.

In any case longer wheel bolts should be available at NAPA or a like parts store.

As an aside, your new wheels are going to want a particular kind of engagement with the wheel bolts, tapered, flat, etc, you will want to make sure this is right.

Also pay attention to wheel piloting.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Zero offset.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If you have studs with nuts .... when fully tightened all of the threads of the nut should be engaged to the stud. And I would feel more comfortable if one or two threads of the stud extended past the nut.

If you have bolts ..... the wheel lug bolts should engage to a depth of the width of the bolt. Again I would feel more comfortable if the engagement were 150% of the width of the bolt. Also know that most of the holes in hubs are blind. Meaning if you are replacing bolts with a longer length, too long is just as bad as too short.

In either case the quality (& Strength) of the running gear hardware that you buy should be of at least the same as OEM or better.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action