Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
1. Does anyone use bearing buddy on their airstream?
2. Can someone help me understand what the pros and cons are?
They are best understood as a product designed for use with boat trailers where the trailer bearing ends up under water while launching. Under those conditions it is common for the bearings to become contaminated with water, which will lead to failure unless they are cleaned and repacked frequently.

The main disadvantage is that there is nearly always some grease leakage at the seals when bearing buddies are used. This can pose a risk of brake contamination. They could also shorten the life of the seals.

Quote:
3. Would the bearing buddy not keep bearings better lubricated?
Not really, unless you run the hubs under water. If you don't run under water, the bearings will stay lubricated until the seals fail, as a practical matter.

Quote:
I have read where some say no on the airstream but okay on other travel trailers. I do not understand the difference. My understanding is they keep water, dirt, prevent corrosion and pitting on the bearings. The more I read the more I get confused about bearing buddy, not sure I understand why they would not work well on the airstream to keep bearings lubricated. Can someone help clarify?
They don't solve any problem you actually have, and can make a mess and shorten the life of your seals. I would put them on a boat trailer. I would not put them on an RV.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thank you jammer.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ron you need some of this.

http://www.amazon.com/Grease-Pres-Hi...ease+cartridge

and one of these bearing packers.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-65250-Be...ng+packer+tool

and a grease gun

Amazon.com: Lincoln Lubrication 1133 2-Way Loading Lever-Action Grease Gun with 18" Whip: Automotive

You also need some grease seals which you can get at P&T trailer supply on Jordan Lane in Huntsville. To remove the rear bearings you have to knock out the seal. Sometimes you can re-use the old seal but they don't always fit tight enough and can pop out. This happened to me when I had a brake that would not fully release. It heated the hub up to the point the seal got pushed out. It made a mess. I don't know what size seal you need but you can take an old one up there and get a new double lip seal for about $3.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks Perry I have added it to my wish list on Amazon.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums