Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Mixed Reviews

I have always installed Bearing Buddies on my boat trailers through the years since 1981.
They seemed to work as advertised as long as I didn't become complacent and fail to also maintain my bearings each season.
Then, on a 17' utility trailer, the manufacturer installed Bearing Buddies.
After a couple years of rough service in and out of the mountains, I found burned bearings and damaged axle spindles.
The tech who was working on my trailer said smugly, "these ain't bearing buddies, these are bearing burners."
As I watched the bearings on this trailer more closely, I discovered that the bearing buddies had made me complacent and were giving me incomplete and inconsistent lubrication.
Since I could only attain thorough lubrication the old fashioned way by packing the inside and outside bearings by hand, i found the bearing buddies pretty much useless except for the boat trailer application for which they were originally designed.
The utility trailer manufacturer I bought my trailer from no longer uses them.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Installing Bearing Buddies for the First Time

I've had boat trailers with BB's and I know how to maintain the BB's. The thing is, I've never had to remove a wheel - or initially install BB's. If the seals are in good shape, how do you insure that the hub is completely packed with grease - i.e. - and specifically, the inner bearing??? I can envision trapping a lot of air in the hub. Would a manual packing be in order the first time around? I know that the hub is empty after I hand-pack my bearings conventionally - but the theory behind the BB's seems to require a full hub, positive internal pressure, and good seals. Personally, I'm not in favor of BB's for drum brakes due to the potential for leaking and, accordingly, I'll continue to hand pack - but for disc brakes they might be a good idea. Thus the question.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ken.

I agree and disagree with your thoughts.

You are not the same as the average owner.

You are far more safety concious that the average owner.

As a shop owner for many many years, I have seen all to many trailers come in for brake service, that had the buddies installed, that also had major brake problems.

When chatting with the owners, they simply say "I took care of the bearings, I thought". When asked how about the other things behind the drums, and the typical answer was " I never gave it a thought".

Yes, they took care of the bearings with a total disregard for the other parts that are behind the drums.

Ken, it is in that sense that we do not recommend them, since owners then forget about brake wear and care.

Everyone does not use equipment in a manner that you may do, or that I may do as well.

It's not a matter of works for some, it's a matter of being falsely lead into a sense of security, that does not exist.

Unfortunately, all to many owners compare the trailer running gear and brakes, to that of a tow vehicle, namely brakes and bearings last forever, and rarely keep tabs of the trailer mileage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Andy,

Thanks for the explanation.. It make sense to me. With the way a bearing buddy is constructed, and the number of places grease can escape, it is true that frequent routine inspection and topping off is necessary.
As I think about it, I am certain that bearings would fail much faster with filled once and then neglected bearing buddies, than they would with packed once and neglected standard hubs.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ken.

I agree and disagree with your thoughts.

You are not the same as the average owner.

You are far more safety concious that the average owner.

As a shop owner for many many years, I have seen all to many trailers come in for brake service, that had the buddies installed, that also had major brake problems.

When chatting with the owners, they simply say "I took care of the bearings, I thought". When asked how about the other things behind the drums, and the typical answer was " I never gave it a thought".

Yes, they took care of the bearings with a total disregard for the other parts that are behind the drums.

Ken, it is in that sense that we do not recommend them, since owners then forget about brake wear and care.

Everyone does not use equipment in a manner that you may do, or that I may do as well.

It's not a matter of works for some, it's a matter of being falsely lead into a sense of security, that does not exist.

Unfortunately, all to many owners compare the trailer running gear and brakes, to that of a tow vehicle, namely brakes and bearings last forever, and rarely keep tabs of the trailer mileage.

Andy
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Baoat launching fundamentals

Cracker, I live on the Puget Sound and have a launch ramp in my back yard. I can assure you I know what I am doing. Depending on the grade of your ramp, the tide and the boat size you may or may not have to submerge your wheels. When you do, you need to be sure to rinse with fresh water and clean everything. You should know by now when you ass-u-me something you usually will, well you know. Not all boat trailers have rollers, some have slides. I've seen guys back up quickly and then stop quickly hoping to slide the boat off of the trailer only to have the boat tip back onto the mud or cement. Getting your wheels or for that matter your whistle wet are sometimes necessary.
Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Sorry Cracker, that post was for Perry.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've had bearing buddies on boat trailers with brakes and never had a problem with the brakes caused by the bearing buddies.

I think, used properly with travel trailer, they would be fine. But I also see the point of checking the brakes etc. and packing the bearings the normal way should outlast that service interval.

FWIW at least on my boat and jetski trailers, the hubs were almost always submerged when launching. I've even had the back wheels of the truck in water on a shallow sandy beach on Lake Mojave (possibly to the detriment of differential on that vehicle). I always felt good that the little pressure in the buddies/hubs kept water intrusion to a minimum. Driving with warm bearings and then popping them in cold water would be a scenario for water intrusion without that small pressure.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Let's see . . Perry is a Southern boy so you ain't gonna tell him anything on which his mind is made up. And, he's from Florida so his Daddy had to get the boat launched and the trailer stowed on the way to the hospital so Perry could be born. I'd reckon there's more than one way to sling a boat off a trailer. I've even tried a few. Sober.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
...... I'd reckon there's more than one way to sling a boat off a trailer. I've even tried a few. Sober.
..... how too launch keeping the BB's dry.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-first.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	157442  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Robert, thats priceless. I've seen some trucks dragged into the water by some big boats, but never anything like this. I'm gonna have to enlarge that and take it down to the Tides Tavern tonight. It'll go up on the wall.

Dan
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I don't have any pictures but my brother has a 59 or 60 Chris Craft Cavilier with an old GM 348 truck engine in the center. It's got a straight shaft with about a 14" prop that hangs down abour 2'. I've seen him bury a trailer and half of a truck bed launching this thing a couple of times. And He's good.

Dan
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Alcohol....'ya think

Dan,

That pic was posted over on the Allison,(the boat, not the tranny), boards....I had to save it just as a reminder.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07620.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	157470  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Thanks, It's on the wall above the bar in Gig Harbor WA.

Dan