Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Baby Moons - how to get on & off without damage?

Just received my new rims and baby moon hubcabs from trailertiresandwheels.com and got the rim mounted. The hupcap however was a bear to get on - Tried using my Hands and then my feet to no avail.

I then (much to my regret) got a rubber mallet and a towel out and tried to gently hit it in. This did work but I have two nice dents in the hubcaps .

What is the best way to get these on? Also, now I have to get the one I have on there off and I cannot see a way to do so without scratching my new rims. Is there a special tool I need?
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
Is there a special tool I need?
It is called, strangely, a hubcap hammer. Consists of an angled head rubber mallet, with a flat bar on the end for sliding under the edge of the hubcap. You then twist the hammer slightly, and it pops off.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
They are made in China, what?

I had to tap all around the perimeter with a peening hammer to get the inside diameter of the cover closer to the outside diameter of the cleats on the wheel.

If you do it carefully, the hubcap will snap onto the wheel with minimum pressure, but still be tight enough to not fall off.

The hubcap hammer will help, but only in getting the hubcap off. The little prybar is nice, but the rubber hammer is still too hard. Even the palm of your hand will dent the hubcap. Yes, even around the edge. The center of the hubcap is so weak it will oilcan if you look at it sideways.

I haven't figured out how to tweak them back into shape. Spooning them with a dolly against a sandbag is somewhat successful. No matter what you do, they will never go back to perfect.

At least they were cheap.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I have had the same trouble and I'm on my third set of moons. As it is now, I don't travel with the moons on and put them in place on the rim once I arrive at my destination. Another something to work on this weekend since the weather is cooperating.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
They are made in China, what?

I had to tap all around the perimeter with a peening hammer to get the inside diameter of the cover closer to the outside diameter of the cleats on the wheel.

If you do it carefully, the hubcap will snap onto the wheel with minimum pressure, but still be tight enough to not fall off.

The hubcap hammer will help, but only in getting the hubcap off. The little prybar is nice, but the rubber hammer is still too hard. Even the palm of your hand will dent the hubcap. Yes, even around the edge. The center of the hubcap is so weak it will oilcan if you look at it sideways.

I haven't figured out how to tweak them back into shape. Spooning them with a dolly against a sandbag is somewhat successful. No matter what you do, they will never go back to perfect.

At least they were cheap.
This is exactly what I did, made me a little angry the first time but then I realized I hade bought 4 and only needed 2. So now I use the "road" hub caps all the time and have a "new" set for it and when I want the look. It felt kind of funny hammering on a new set of hub caps but you will get over it.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Anyone have any pictures they can post of their baby moons and wheels they got from trailertiresandwheels.com?
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yeah, I've got pictures. I can't post them here, but PM me your email address and I will send them to you in private.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote