Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Baby moon clips

I might have the wrong terminology but I'd like to get 16" x 8" wheels and add baby moons. I saw a few threads, non airstream related, where people had purchased and either screwed or riveted clips to the wheel to hold baby moons.

It seems like I could have the best of both worlds the rim size I want, maybe even an aluminum wheel, and a vintage moon cap too. My question is has anyone tried this or is it just not such a great idea after all?

For info I have non standard axles and the 8" rim width is to accommodate larger tires
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
I have seen the same clips on the vintage section of a hub cap site. hubcapmike.com give it a shot.
vzepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
http://detroitsteelwheel.com/wp-cont..._Retail_v1.pdf

"Detroit Steel Wheel", (way cool custom steel wheels) Page six of catalog has the old baby-moon clips. Interesting catalog.

Not to confuse with "Detroit Wheels" (they sell all the common "mag" look wheels)

Wheel sizing is much different now than it was "back in the day". Your Quest will be quite an interesting adventure. Keep posting your findings, the moons and wheel centers and clips and nubs are all over the place, size-wise.

Best of luck, and thanks for your dedicated restoration of your rare trailer.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote